We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Next Summer

wigan
Level Contributor
862 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Next Summer

This July we paid £1124 to stay at Villa Maria in Troulos with Thomson. For the same holiday next year we have been quoted £2366 for the same holiday, going at the same time. Suffice to say thats a big NO WAY. Ridiculous price for a self catering studio. We could get A/I in Cyprus for less than that. I,m all for the free market economy but that price hike is obscene.

Mentioned in this post
Troulos
Troulos
Skiathos, Greece
Cyprus
Cyprus
Europe
Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
3,682 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Next Summer

Hi, I quite agree with you and can't see what the TO is thinking with a price hike like that, I wouldn't pay it either and certainly not for a self catering studio.

What I would say though is have you taken it up with them, could it possibly be a mistake? Long shot I know but as my friend JMc would say, they cannot be serious!

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Next Summer

Hi Tim

We've booked with Thomson for next year ,end of august and paying just over £1200 for 2 weeks and to be honest I thought it was a bit expensive, its the dearest we've ever paid.

So I'm sure if you look around you'll find somewhere you like at a price you like.

Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,432 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Next Summer

Another victim of Thomson "dynamic pricing" I'm afraid. I had a go at them last year and the answer was, if you want to go, then pay up! So much for loyalty to long standing Customers! Come the Jet2 revolution, we might be ok, but until then, we've had it!

Can you imagine the outcry if food in supermarkets was priced the same way! A loaf would be £1 on Monday, but a fiver on Friday! Crazy!

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Next Summer

I know why so many people go to Skiathos but it seems to me to be getting busier, a victim of its own success!

Looking at the holiday sites, it much ,much cheaper to go most other places!

I had an email from Thomas Cook flights, £50 to Skiathos in September, I thought great till I saw the price to get home a week later...£267.

Mentioned in this post
Skiathos Town
Skiathos Town
Skiathos, Greece
wigan
Level Contributor
862 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Next Summer

Hi guys. Thank you all for your response. I went online and got quoted that price, thinking they had the decimal point in the wrong place. So I bobbed into the Thomson super duper shop on Robin park and got quoted the same price. When I asked about the quote I was told "well that,s just what it is". See ya Mr Thomson. Shame really as we love Villa Maria.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
753 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Next Summer

Scandalous prices Tiramusu! I've had a look for next year & I think we've now been priced out of Skiathos unless we don't take the kids.....now there's an idea!!! ;)

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Next Summer

Crazy prices, I looked at Thomson for next years holidays and just flights, they wanted £600 for a flight from birm. The last minute prices for this year for a week are over £600 too.

Have you thought of e mailing villa maria and booking direct and get a flight with someone else? or book a cheaper package with someone else, then book your accommodation separately.

We are paying for flight only with Thomas cook £729 for 2 end july. you need to book on line with flight essentials to get this price, if you book baggage and choose seat you get meals free. There is so much accommodation on various sites like booking .com etc especially after sept its cheaper and more choice.

I don't know what Thomson are playing at do they seriously think people will pay those prices !

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Next Summer

hi

Olympic have some good deals we have just booked august 21 2015 to sept 4 2015 for me my wife and our daughter to kolios £1150 for us all from Manchester with 20 kg luggage used Olympic last year from Birmingham (cheapest airport last year its Manchester coming up cheap for next year) and had no problems Thomas cook and Thomson are just too expensive

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Birmingham
Birmingham
West Midlands, UK
wigan
Level Contributor
862 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Next Summer

Hi Auntydiddy. We,ll take the kids to Morecambe with us;-))

Food for thought in some of your replies. I,m not keen on booking independantly as a package offers certain protection if things go pear shaped. However, we are definately going to look at some other destinations as we are stuck with going during school hols. Shame really as we love the island and its people so much.As LKB man says, "come the jet2 revolution".

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
4,053 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Next Summer

Hi Tiramasu- you are paying a very high price for that ' if things go pear shaped '......scenario. Skiathos has to be one of the best places to try booking direct with Owners and then have a choice of flights. The airport mtransfers are cheap enough, and if in any doubt re your return flights you can just ring the local office of the company you have flown with. Appreciate that travelling with children it can be reassurIng but once you have done it it's great to pick your own fav place to stay. Good luck , we have found prices can come down as the end of year approaches but Thomson are getting ridiculous.