We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parga vs Skopelos vs Alonissos

Which Skopelos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Parga vs Skopelos vs Alonissos

Hi, am planning a holiday with my boyfriend this summer for a week. We are 22 and love to spend most of our day snorkeling at the beach. In the evening we love traditional towns without too many Brits! We would like to avoid car hire if possible.

At the moment am torn between Parga mainland and Skopelos or Alonissos. Anyone visited these places? Would love to hear from someone who has been to all 3 for a comparison!

Many thanks for your help!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
647 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parga vs Skopelos vs Alonissos

Parga will be full of brits! Skopelos is lovely, lots of great snorkeling opportunities. We stayed in Skopelos town which was wonderful, lots of little allyways to explore but no beach to speak of. We hired a car but buses seemed pretty good. Re Alonissos we only went for the day but it was lovely. Very quiet. Could you maybe combine Skopelos and Alonissos?

Parga, Greece
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parga vs Skopelos vs Alonissos

Rboo44,

<<Parga will be full of brits!>>

Parga is very cosmopolitan and during August is full of Greeks, Italians and many Europeans, other than only Brits. I live there for five months each year, avoiding July and August when it is at it's busiest.

Just a thought - which times of the year have you visited Parga?

Edited: 16 February 2014, 09:44
Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,354 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parga vs Skopelos vs Alonissos

Parga does get a lot of British and other package tourists. I only passed through Parga briefly once, some years ago but I do remember wandering around the little back streets and being put off by tourist tat shops selling t-shirts with tacky slogans on and the like. So I would say it was once a traditional village that is now a package resort, though a low key one by some standards. Each to their own but my vote would be for Skopelos as it has a much more traditional feel.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
647 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parga vs Skopelos vs Alonissos

Have been in the summer which is when the OP is planning their trip and found there to be far more british there than many other Greek places I have visited, Skopelos, Samos, Symi etc. This isnt a negative just a statement of how I found it and certainly didnt say it was only visited by brits. For what its worth I much prefered skopelos but I know from being on the Parga forum how passionate the Parga fans are!

Colwyn Bay, North...
Level Contributor
507 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parga vs Skopelos vs Alonissos

Our family LOVE Parga....we go every other year and oh dear; we are British Lol. We always hire a car as we like to get out and about, especially Karavostasi beach and Sivota, Gliki at Acheron river, 3 beaches on the little boats from the harbour...Billy's boat to Paxos and Anti Paxos. We love it and can't wait to go back, even in August when it will be jam packed with Italians and Greeks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parga vs Skopelos vs Alonissos

hi ive been to all 3 and would definately say skopelos - alonnisos is gorgeous but may be a bit too quiet - though if you have time combine the two. happy hols :)

7. Re: Parga vs Skopelos vs Alonissos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2015, 06:20