We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Skopelos

Which Skopelos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
s.england
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to Skopelos

I'm travelling to Skopelos from the UK in June. Flights to Skiathos, as far as I can see, are outrageously high. Is there an island within a 3 hour ish, or less, ferry journey away that has cheaper flights? I don't really want to go the Athens route. Thanks.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Skopelos

Hey and welcome matty89:-) Guess you have to pay the price to get to this gem;-)) The Sporades are not well, if at all, connected to any of the other isle groups.. so even if you get a flight direct to another isle, chances are you'll need to head to Athens anyway in order to get to Skopelos! Athens would be your best bet.. from where you can either take the quick domestic puddle jumper to Skiathos that takes about half an hour and quick ferry from there.. of take the bus/ferry combo via www.alkyontravel.gr/ that usually takes upwards of about 5 hours or so.. bus to Aghios Konstantinos.. to meet ferry to Skopelos;-) I've used the bus/ferry combo now for years.. but have few options coming the States;-) Best.. and Enjoy!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,219 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Skopelos

You have auto-limited your options to a direct flight, if you are not prepared to go via Athens or Thessaloniki then it's your only option.

That's part of their price calculation. Even if a lower cost carrier went there by this time all cheapo tickets would be gone and prices would be well on their way up to charter flight prices. That's the popularity of Skiathos and the alternatives situation.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Skopelos

..R_H brings up a great alternate;-) How about Thessaloniki?:-) Wonderful waterfront City.. if you haven't been there you may want to consider this route.. bus to Volos.. takes about 2.5-3 hours.. then hop on the ferry from there:-) Have done that route as well numerous times.. but in off Season when no ferries available out of AK! Keep enjoyin' all!

Belgium
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Skopelos

Does anyone know where I can find the prices/booking for the A. Konstantinos>Glossa ferry (not including the bus)? I have looked at a couple of places but is there an official site?

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
6,543 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Skopelos

Hellenic Seaways - full details

hellenicseaways.gr/index.php/en/info/dromolo…

Belgium
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Skopelos

Thank you very much.

s.england
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to Skopelos

Thank you for your detailed reply!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to Skopelos

You're welcome matty89:-) Let us know how the planning goes;-) Keep us posted.. keep enjoyin'!

English/Welsh border
Level Contributor
120 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel to Skopelos

Hey Matty89. We did Manchester to Thess, then on to Skopelos last year, rather than be ripped off on air fares to Skiathos - return tickets to Thess cost only about £140 each. Even allowing for the extra cost of bus/coach/ferry tickets + a night's accommodation in Thess on the way back, the money we saved paid for our accommodation for two weeks!

If you are thinking of doing the same, I'd recommend that you take time to thoroughly research your journey itinerary, so that you know precisely where to go, especially as regards booking/buying tickets and coach ranks.

Our flight arrival time left little time for us to bus it across the city and buy our coach tickets; so much so, we only took cabin luggage with us to speed things up. It all worked out fine for us and the best bit was sitting out on deck Express Skiathos for four hours, enjoying the late afternoon sunshine and watching the beautiful Greek scenery slip by.

Great fun,but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone with young kids in tow.

English/Welsh border
Level Contributor
120 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel to Skopelos

Never mind the above, I've just been on Skyscanner and found easy jet offering a return flight to from Manchester to Skiathos for £148 - now that's pretty good! Flights do seem to be cheaper this year.