We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food glorious food!

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
70 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Food glorious food!

So excited for our visit! I know there has been many posts about the great tavernas in skopelos although I gather they change around a little and it was years since our last visit. So what I am wondering is, what's your fav taverna and are there any hidden gems? Some good recommendations in skopelos town and also outside skopelos town would be appreciated for my ever growing book of places to visit! Like traditional, not too fancy.....? My mouth is watering already :-) x

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food glorious food!

Hey and welcome Skopelos2014:-) You'll find a number of wonderful, traditional tavernas existing generationally here.. to include 'Ta Kymata' (The Waves) in Skopelos Town.. practically at the end of the waterfront (paralia) beneath the Church and as in most traditional places, you're invited into the kitchen to see what's cooking.. on display;-)

In Panormos, hands down, you won't find a better place than Asterias.. smack on the beach.. 1st of 3 sandwiched together coming from Skopelos;-) The owner there, Kostas, oftentimes brings his own home grown chorta (greens) which are not to be missed when available.. a more limited menu makes for the freshest of what's available daily.. and again, you're invited into his open kitchen and his food display is unmissable;-) He also makes his own wine.. when there in Sept you can find him stomping on grapes (literally) and filling those huge barrels in the front of the taverna with the wonderful liquid for the following year.. although it's usually gone by early Summer:-)

In Agnondas, you'll again find 3 tavernas sandwiched together right on the harbor front there past the Oasis café/bar coming from Panormos.. although all 3 are great, I usually head to the one in the middle;-) And the Oasis itself is a great place for a coffee.. glass of wine.. a snack (or meal!) like the infamous Skopelos Cheese Pie.. you'll still find these at most if not all of the cafes, tavernas on the isle.. never had a bad one;-)

On the road down to Loutraki at Glossa.. you'll find a wonderful place for whole chicken cooked on a spit.. among other carnivorous delights.. and about the best home cut fries on the isle.. forget the name.. but most of the places are called by the owner's name.. in this case, Nicko's.. and he's so popular, locals phone in to place an order .. he usually runs out so if interested, make sure get there by around 8p.. which is early.. or call/stop by ahead to place an order;-) You won't miss the place.. on the turn heading down to Loutraki from Glossa;-) A good sign with all of these places is that you'll find locals in all of them.. oftentimes, more locals than visitors;-)

You'll find lots of threads on good eats in the Skopelos Forum here.. take a look.. chances are.. hopefully, they'll all be around again this year since there are lots more;-)) EnJOY!

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
70 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food glorious food!

Thanks for your detail account lists! much appreciated! I believe the one at the end of the waterfront beneath the church was our fav spot for food 10 years ago, it's great to hear it still had a good reputation! And it's good to know some places outside of town as we are more adventurous this time around! I am now dreaming of calamari, spinach pies and wine, I feel the belt tightening already ;-) I have put them all down in my little book to visit, can't wait to try the one in panoramas beach! I will let you know what I thought. Thanks again, you really should write a book! Do you happen to know if a lovely lady called daphanie still does the town walks? She was a knowledge of information just like yourself and it was without a doubt the best town walk I ever been in, going back a decade! X

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food glorious food!

My pleasure Skopelos2014:-) Sorry, don't know about Daphne/walking tours but hopefully someone here may have some info?;-) Wouldn't be surprised if she's still around though.. difficult to leave this place! Great thing about this isle is it has remained relatively untouched by mass tourism.. you have to go out of your way to get there making it a bit less desirable for those looking for easier access;-) And yes, Ta Kymata tavern at the end of the waterfront there is still cooking up it's magic.. sons have taken over.. great guys and fabulous fare at super reasonable prices;-)

When you head to Asterias at Panormos.. chances are good Kostas will be floating around unless he's taking his usual afternoon siesta.. his son also works during the Summer there.. tell him Litsa from NY says 'Hi'.. chances are it'll be good for a glass of red;-))

Don't remember if it was there 10 years ago or not.. but Kohili bakery/café is a great place to get a hot.. or at least warm spinach pie.. especially in the mornings:-) It's right on the corner next to the ferry ticket office on the Paralia where the ferries come/go.. unmissable.. just in front of where the infamous Platanos tree Square is with the wonderful souvlaki/gyro places there;-) Not much has really changed.. you'll find all the wonderful cafes on the paralia there with a few possible changes;-) When are you going by the way?;-) Keep enjoyin'!

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
7,002 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food glorious food!

Will check - But I think its Daphne at SkopelosNews ...

http://skopelosnews.wordpress.com/contact-us/

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
7,002 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food glorious food!

The SkopelosNews 'News desk' suggest, that it's the right Daphne on Skopelos ...

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food glorious food!

There you go Skopelos 2014.. that didn't take long;-) Thanks SL1.. always enjoyin'!

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
70 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food glorious food!

That was quick :-) and it is daphne! She was fantastic and told us some wonderful stories and insight into skopelos. Thanks all for letting me know!

And thanks again lista, we go first week in July and can't wait. I will definitely say hi to kostas from you and will let you know about our trip when we return. X

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
7,002 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food glorious food!

Good news, enjoy your trip ...

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
673 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food glorious food!

We loved the taverna up on the hill in Skopelos town in the 'castle'. Amazing views of town and lovely food, including yummy pork with plums. We ate there twice but it does get busy with live music later in the eve

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food glorious food!

Ahh yes Rboo44:-) I remember when the Castro was a Bouzoukia place back in the 80's-90's sometime.. lots of partying going on up there, lol:-) And yes, great views for sure;-) Enjoyin'!

Edited: 28 March 2014, 19:01
Get answers to your questions about Skopelos