We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skopelos Town vs Panormos hotels - help for honeymoon!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Skopelos Town vs Panormos hotels - help for honeymoon!

Hi all,

I really hope you can help my husband and I decide where to stay on our honeymoon! We got married last August, but I am a student and he is a newly qualified lecturer at a university, so we don't have much money and we have been saving for 9 months for our long-awaited honeymoon.

It has been my ambition for many years to visit a nice, quiet, beautiful Greek island that isn't too touristy, and from our research we have decided on Skopelos. We have found three hotels within our budget, but we are really struggling to decide.

The three hotels we have found are Panormos Beach hotel, Alkistis Hotel and Skopelos Village Hotel. We aren't expecting luxury, but we like comfort and relaxation, and friendly people, but we also want to be near to amenities so that we can walk to restaurants easily rather than drive everywhere (though we will be hiring a car to do some exploring of the island). We would like to get the best place for our money but I realise that a lot of the more expensive places don't have the charm of the smaller accommodations.

We will be arriving on 6th June (staying for 7 nights) so I know it may be still early in the season, so we aren't sure which is the best location, and then after that, which is the best hotel for a budget honeymoon!

I would really appreciate some advice from people who know the island as we are very bad at making decisions and if we wait too long I know the rooms will sell out!

Thank you for reading and sorry for writing so much, I just want this to be a special time for my husband :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skopelos Town vs Panormos hotels - help for honeymoon!

Hey welcome SianInScotland:-) You'll be happy to hear that this wonderfully mellow and gorgeous isle will still be on the quiet side early June.. since it's a bit more difficult to get to, it's main season is really during the months of July and August.. and even then, from around mid-July to end Aug so peak is pretty much 6 weeks here.. you'll be coming at a magnificent time;-)

For starters, you may want to take a look at www.skopelosweb.gr/ Lots of good general isle info as well as info on accommodations throughout the isle.. from simple rooms to studios with kitchenettes.. to hotels and villas;-) As far as locale, be aware that Panormos is barely a 15 min drive from Skopelos Town with a car.. the bus takes about half an hour .. thereabouts.. but you'll be fine with a rental;-) Head to Skopelos Town and you'll find an array of rental agencies right before the waterfront entering the Town.. check out Magic Cars and don't pre-book.. you'll get a better deal on the spot.. especially early June;-)

Having said that, chances are you can just show up and easily find a place.. nonetheless, with such a special occasion am sure you're looking to have it all arranged;) You can check reviews on all properties you're interested in by simply typing in the property name up in the search box here.. top of this page.. right hand side:-)

Panormos Beach Hotel is popular with the UK visitors (as is Skopelos Village).. it has a pool.. and a short walk to the beach itself! There are numerous cafes, beachfront tavernas.. a couple of mini markets.. so works well as a base (I usually base here for about 3 weeks and love the peace, quiet and gorgeous waters with wonderful tavernas literally ON the beach;-) Regardless, check out Asterias Taverna there;-)

If looking for more of a mix on activities and being more in the 'center' of it all, then Skopelos Town would certainly fit the bill.. it all depends on whether you want more of a beach vaca as opposed to more of an evening out every night experience:-) Again, you won't fall short on all the choices available at Panormos, so you pretty much need to decide where you feel would make for a better belated Honeymoon for you depending on what you're looking to experience;-)

Take note that Alkistis although in Skopelos Town proper.. needs a bit of a walk to get INTO Town.. you are really way better off with a car here.. it's on the main drag (or road) heading into Town and boasts the largest in-ground pool on the isle.. beautiful setting.. lush and green like the isle.. but no major views to talk about! I usually go here to get some laps in.. finished at the swim-up bar with a glass of wine or 2;-)

Again, early June will still be on the quiet side here.. great isle to celebrate your special event.. kudos on your choice;-) Congrats and Happy belated Honeymoon planning to you.. always EnJOY!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skopelos Town vs Panormos hotels - help for honeymoon!

Wow, Litsa, thank you so much for your reply!! This is sooooo helpful!!

Personally, I have never been on a 'proper' holiday, I did lots of city breaks but never a 'sun' holiday, so this is most exciting for me. So, I am leaning towards Panormos! Also because I am studying for a PhD and haven't had a day off in almost 4 years, so I think some proper relaxation is needed and Panormos sounds perfect!! Do the buses to Skopelos Town run in the evenings, so we could go for an evening out there and get the bus back to Panormos?

I also found the Afrodite Hotel in our budget too and it has a good pool for some lazy days... we would love to rent a villa to ourselves, to make it more romantic, but it seems like the cheapest way to get to Skopelos is with travel agent, otherwise the flights are soooo expensive (e.g. we can get flights for £850, but flights plus hotel plus transfers plus insurance for £1,000... I don't understand how they do this!!). I am looking on the website you suggested though, maybe I can make a villa work!!

Thanks again for being so helpful. I will probably be in touch again with more questions ;)

Sian

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,606 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skopelos Town vs Panormos hotels - help for honeymoon!

Hi,

Skopelos:

In early June you will find the resorts boring. It is by far more interesting to stay in Skopelos town itself. It is a proper island town of character and has a good selection of tavernas, harbour, local atmosphere etc.

Panormos - This is not a village, it's a small beach resort consisting of a few tavernas and accommodation and tourist shops, shingle/pebble beach, that's it.

I'm not overly keen of any of your accommodation selections.

Skopelos Village Hotel - Reasonably close to Skopelos town, 20 min walk, thus in my view the best choice.

Alkistis - out of it, too far from Skopelos town without a hire car.

Panormos Beach hotel - Well it's in Panormos.

To answer individual points:

'Do the buses to Skopelos Town run in the evenings, so we could go for an evening out there and get the bus back to Panormos?'

No they don't, that's impractical, there are no buses beyond about 19:00. thus an evening in Skopelos would require a taxi or hire car. That is another reason for staying in Skopelos Town.

It is difficult to gauge other people and try and point them in the right direction. I'm being very honest as always and try and give you the facts for you to decide what is suitable for you.

I have stayed on Skopelos and the other 3 Sporades islands about 4/5 times over about 25 years. I'm a backpacker not a UK package tourist.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skopelos Town vs Panormos hotels - help for honeymoon!

My pleasure Sian:-) This is one of things I love about this travel site.. to be able to discuss and compare experiences:-)

To start, :Panormos is hardly boring IMO.. depending on what you're looking for.. but maybe for RH! FWIW. Panormos is indeed a 'village'.. and although quiet in June.. has a good number of places to stay and places to eat.. far from 'a few tavernas and accommodations'.. thankfully, no tourist shops whatsoever (where did you find those RH?.. except what's available in the 2 mini markets;-)

I also don't know the last time RH was there during his 4-5 times there over the past 25 years.. but can guarantee you that you can stay there for the week.. and if you so choose, not eat at the same place twice;-) If looking for peace and quiet, it most certainly fits the bill! As far the beach, it's smooth pebbles leading right into crystal clear waters.. I've personally collected them and have at least a half dozen vases .. filled with water.. with what I've been able to carry back;-) The water is turquoise blue.. again, super clear.. and no sand, making it easy to walk into crystal clear waters reflecting the magnificent colorful pebbles in the waters;-)

Again, a car rental would certainly come in handy:-) The bus schedule in June is limited and chances are the last bus into.. out of town.. making the run from one end of the isle to other will be about 6-7p.. then again, if you're looking for a peaceful and quiet place.. which appears what you are looking for.. this fits the bill to a tee IMO:-)

I've been going to this isle yearly.. as much as possible.. for at least a couple of decades now! I go for the mellow, relax and quiet aspect of the place .. looking to get out of the major City that I live in with my fave months May and Sept.. you'll be fine in June.. but again, if looking for a bit more action, of course, the main Town of Skopelos would be best;-)

I've worked in the industry and have travelled to over a couple of dozen isles.. when I found this place, it became my personal paradise and never looked back.. although it takes me a while to get there from NYC, I always look forward to my yearly trip there.. only wish it was as easy getting there as it is to those in the UK with a quick flight;-) Keep us posted.. keep enjoyin'!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,676 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skopelos Town vs Panormos hotels - help for honeymoon!

Skopelos Town sits in a horseshoe shaped harbour and Skopelos Village is at one end of the horseshoe ! it's a lovely walk into the harbour where the ferries and buses can be found and you can wander along the front at night checking out the places to eat or head up the backstreets and find the many many churches. BUT if you want to be able to step out, cross the road and be on a beach - well the town beach is not attractive. So, we head to. Panormas or one of the other beaches for the day either by bus or we hire a car for a few days. Skopelos Village has a pool too -we have always found it a bit expensive so if you have found a good deal that's great. Early June is lovely - hope you have great trip wherever you chose - make sure you check out some of the reviews of the places you are looking at.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
5,017 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skopelos Town vs Panormos hotels - help for honeymoon!

In case you haven't seen it here's a great trip report that you might find helpful tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189501-i3715-k5…

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Skopelos Town vs Panormos hotels - help for honeymoon!

Thanks everyone for the fantastic help and suggestions!! We will be going to the travel agent tomorrow to discuss bookings, and I think we will be staying in Skopelos Town but hiring a car so we can visit all the wonderful beaches, including Panormos! We are really looking forward to it!

Thanks again!!

Sianxxx

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Skopelos Town vs Panormos hotels - help for honeymoon!

Our pleasure Sian:-) Sounds like a plan.. and with the rental, make sure you head to other side of the isle as well.. to Loutraki and Glossa.. and check out Aghios Giannis (you'll find signage off the main road by Glossa leading there;-) Keep us posted.. keep enjoyin'!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,676 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Skopelos Town vs Panormos hotels - help for honeymoon!

You will have no problem hiring a car on arrival in early June -get your bearings and then decide how many days you need to hire for - just don't book anything through a travel agent here ! Enjoy

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Skopelos Town vs Panormos hotels - help for honeymoon!

Argh, I am so disappointed.

So... After all this, we can't go to Skopelos! In the time it took us to gather our money together, the cost of the holiday we wanted there had increased above our budget :( I am still a student, and my husband only graduated 2 years ago so we are still living on a student lifestyle... We have tried booking independently but it is the cost of the flights that is the main problem. So, for this year, we will have to make alternative arrangements.

We have decided to book the time off work, and get a last-minute deal somewhere... not the most spectacular honeymoon but we will have each other! Who knows, maybe we will get to Skopelos that way anyway! But if not, we are definitely going next year, and hopefully we will have a bit more money by then :)

Just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone for all the super kind and helpful information. I have saved it all and will definitely be looking again before too long!!

Sian