We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation from Athens to Skopelos

Which Skopelos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
transportation from Athens to Skopelos

Hi there,

Any advice on the most hassle-free travel plan from Athens to Skopelos?

I'd be traveling from the US arriving at the Athens airport at 9:00. I thought the quickest way would be to fly from Athens to Skiathos (and then ferry over to Skopelos). But the flight to Skiathos via Olympic Air is not until 16:45!... And on the way back, the flight from Skiathos is at 18:00, while the flight back to the US would be at 11:00, meaning that I would need to leave Skiathos a day in advance. Is there lodging near the airport to spend the last night of the trip?

Of course, I'd also need to factor in the ferry schedules from Skiathos to Skopelos...

Or should I go a different route and take a ferry to Skiathos? I have not looked up the schedules yet, but I'm assuming this is unlikely to save much time or money.

For those of you who have traveled to Skopelos, how have you done it?

Thank you!!

Athens
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation from Athens to Skopelos

1. In the Athens airport there is the hotel Sofitel

2. From Athens airport at arrival you can take the metro to the city center, Omonia square and from Academias street there is a bus to Agios Konstantinos and from there there is a flying Dplhin to Skopelos

It is Alkyon travel that runs these buses. You can contact them at athens@alkyontravel.com for details

2. You can come back the same way

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation from Athens to Skopelos

Hey er...I've done this route so many times (and in every way possible!) can do it w/my eyes closed- which is usually how I end up after that transatlantic flight...This is one of my FAV isles! ..and unfortunately neither flight or bus schedules accommodate convenientely! SO...coming in at 9a leaves you 2 options..actually 3:

1. Get a hotel in Athens for the night and chill out...make arrangements for the next day...pretty much what I do now! Then you have 2 options of actually GETTING there from Athens.

1a...Book that flight from Athens/Skiathos...there IS a late ferry or dolphin that will get you across to Skopelos..on the occassions (days of old) I would overnight at one of the hotels/rooms in Skiathos Town then head to Skopelos at my convenience the next day...numerous options!

1b...as stated, there is the bus/ferry route offered by Alkyon Travel conveniently located off Omonia Square at Konikos Square...they have 2 departures...the first at 7A which departs on a comfy, a/c bus to Aghios Konstantinos where the ferry (usually) awaits the bus and you're off by around 10A (the bus makes a brief stop - depends on the driver as it can be as short as 10 min or as long as half an hour)!..The dolphin/catamaran takes about an hour to get to Skiathos..continuing on to Glossa, Skopelos (2 STOPS in Skopelos)..the Alonissos:) ...Same deparature in the afternoon at 4pm...I would 'rarely' wait around for either flight or head to Konikos and wait around but it is a LONG wait after a LONG flight so have in recent years given in to a wonderful day in Athens..getting up the next morning and SOMETIMES making that EARLY departure..mostly hooking up w/the afternoon one! Gets you to the isles by 9p or so....Getting off in Skopelos Island somewhat depends on where you are staying but really doesn't matter as there ia a bus that runs the entire route of the isle beginning at Loutraki and ending in Skopelos taking approx an hour one end to the other...Panormos being pretty much the center of the isle...Get off at Loutraki/Glossa if staying before Panormos..ie, Elios, Paleo Klima....the more popular beaches/places people stay would be closer to the second stop which IS Skopelos Town...for Staphylos, Agnontas..etc...the RETURN to Athens is the same...2 departures by cat/bus and usually only 1 flight (that again, neither hook up w/trans air so you need an overnight in Athens)..

You have chosen a most marvelous isle, IMO, and I find it wonderful you discovered it coming from the States as not many here have even heard of it:) Word of mouth..your own research...doesn't matter..you will absolutely ENJOY!

Malta
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation from Athens to Skopelos

Hi,

well Litsa seems to be an expert in the exact route I need to take in May 2007.

We are still not decided on how to get to Skopelos.. We will have been in Athens for the football cup final, so an early departure on the 24th May would not be a problem for us.. Which mode/route would be the best so as to see the scenery ect, but not arrive at Midnight or some unconvinient hour? Which is the best travel agent to use for bookings/tickets etc?

I can be contacted at glolite@onvol.net

Thanks!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transportation from Athens to Skopelos

Hey John...read '1b' above...since you'll already be in Athens, quite easy to catch the 7am bus from Konnikos Square at Alkion Travel at 97 Academias Street...around the corner from Omonia Square so very central and convenient..the bus route to Aghios Konstantinos takes approx 2.5 hours w/a 'snack' stop and most of it is coastal..arrrives in Aghios Konstantinos to hook up w/dolphin so you'll be in Skopelos by noontime at the latest:) Call Alkion Travel at least a day ahead and reserve at 30-210-3832545...and Enjoy! See you there!!

Malta
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: transportation from Athens to Skopelos

Litsa, you're an angel!

Yhanks for the advice..

So, if I may bother you again, what is the earliest return trip to Athens, using the same type of transport?

Also, what's the weather like at the end of May.

I live on a tiny Meditteranean Island too (smaller than Skopelos I think geographically) so I'm assuming an average temp of around 26C like Malta. Correct?

Thanks!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transportation from Athens to Skopelos

Hey John...(Love you're Country! Was there a long time ago as a child with my parents and always wanted to go back:) How blessed you are LIVING on an island...(well! I do too, but it's not the same!!) Anyway, weatherwise late May it will start getting into Summer mode..I've been there in May and June and although June is hotter, found May perfect and came back with a tan!! The waters will still be 'cool' but that never stopped me (and others you'll see there taking their dunks)..and an occassional rainy/cloudy day that appears to pass quickly..The Sun will be hot and evenings cool down as the sun sets so a sweater/windbreaker will do!..I'll be there same time this year so it BETTER be nice!! For the return, check the Dolphin ticket office in Skopelos Town..there are always those horrendous AM departures doing exact same route back to Athens and sometimes have an afternoon so a good idea is to check it often and they may add/deduct that afternoon one but that morning one always scheduled! Another option, if you're up to it, would be to get a flight out of Skiathos (next door!) and spend a night or 2 there! The fights from there are usually around 4p but again, you'd have to check that as those do fill up in Peak but don't think it would be an issue in May:) ENJOY...this is a fabulous isle!

Malta
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: transportation from Athens to Skopelos

thank you for the compliments re malta.. You should come again! As you know, I am not after the swimming issue, plenty of that at home, though yes, we do like our sunshine, as accustomed to of course!

I am just looking for peace and relaxation with beautifull surroundings! I might take you up on the Skiathos night too, if I can't get a late connection from Athens to Malta.

Any awesome restaurants you want to reccomend, nothing formal, but just good food, good wine and maybe a view thrown in for good measure!

Thanks, much appreciated.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: transportation from Athens to Skopelos

For peace and relaxation, you've certainly chosen a perfect isle:) 3 places immedietely come to mind re great food and wine..the first is IN Skopelos Town..'Gefiraki' (The Little Bridge) Taverna owned by Stelios, since I've been going there in the 80's...ever present..now w/his wife and 2 beautiful sons you'll see passing smiles around...about the BEST you can get for local traditional fares and incredible 'local' wine served in the most beautiful cafares and cups (I keep forgetting to take some back but he always laughs and says 'next time!)..behind the Taverna (same place) he's got the popular 'Owl Bar' w/indoor/outdoor seating amidst a calming 'stream' he built in amongst some rocks..you'll see!..This place is NOT on the waterfront but as you enter the Town further up from the Amalia Hotel..you won't miss it! Another fav is on Panormos Beach (in the middle of the isle) ON THE BEACH ... you'll see 3 tavernas lined up practically in the middle of the beach..this is the first one coming in from Skopelos called Asterias where Kosta, the owner, serves up wonderful apps and octopus!!...sip of wine...take a dunk...back for another sip!!!! Heaven!! .. The 3rd is on Agnontas Beach, a tiny, incredibly beautiful harbor (no more than 10 min from Skopelos) and although I'm always here..forget the name (if they have a name!). they, too, are smack on the tiny fishing harbor 2 steps from the tiny beach area...it is the 3rd coming in from Skopelos..there are 3 here again, one right next to the other..you can't really tell when you pass one and enter another! but it's right next to the cafe which is the only one there and again, on the water!

The isle from one end to the other is maybe 35 kil long..at one end and also where the dolphins make a stop in Loutraki w/Glossa perched high above..Make sure you visit this picturesque traditional fishing village and maybe a glass of wine at the Tavernas at the very end of the water...Flisvos and Vrachos although one was closed last year! In the village enjoy a 'frappe' at one of the cafes (maybe 3 here!) before driving up towards Glossa! Although transport is available with busses running the route taking approx an hour each way, for better flexibility/scheduling of your time would reccomend renting a car..Go to Lemonis Car rental..down the road from the Amalia Hotel and cut a deal there! Make sure to tell Stelios and John 'Hi' from Litsa in NY...who knows, they may turn around and say, 'Who, her?' -lol! Keep Enjoyiin'!

Malta
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: transportation from Athens to Skopelos

Simply Awesome Litsa... If I ever need a tour guide, I know where to look! I have saved all of your replies as I'm sure I will be using them throughout our stay. From what you have described, the place is vey similar to my home country, but I'm sure less populated, thus much less hectic! (our population is 400,000).

We are looking forward to this trip, our first to a Greek Island. We have been to many of the Islands in the Med, Sicily, Cyprus, Elba, Capri and so on, all wonderfull places to enjoy.

Greek cuisine is similar to ours - octopus, calamari, fish, lamb etc.. yummy.. and of course the wine.. Can't wait!

By the way, hope to see you in malta someday! We have a beautifull holiday apartment (www.dewberryvilla.cjb.net) and I am sort of the same tour guide as you, but in malta! Ciao!

Malta
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: transportation from Athens to Skopelos

Litsa, I forgot to ask A: average price per day of a compct size car?

B: Public transport - is it reliable and does it reach all parts?

C: Is English spoken by everyone on the Island?

Thanks..