We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scary roads when touring the Pelion by car.

Stoke-on-Trent
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Scary roads when touring the Pelion by car.

In few weeks time we are off to the Pelion staying in a villa in Afissos. The package includes a hire car. We have been to the Pelion about 12 years ago when we stayed in Platanias. We didn't have a car then so although we have seen some of the region we'd like to see quite a bit more. My husband drives and has no fear of heights or sheer drops. However I am the total opposite so I would really like to avoid the really awful roads and go elsewhere or do a detour. I am already aware from a previous post that the road from Afissos to Lefokastro is best avoided. Anyone who can tell me which roads I should avoid and a possible alternative route I would be very grateful. I have found the roads to Myrtos and to Assos in Kefalonia quite chilling and many of the roads in Ithaca which hang on the edge of a sheer drop were even worse. I coped much better with Skopelos, Paxos and Lefkas. Also any recommended tavernas in the Afissos area would be welcome and the availability of ATMs, banks or exchange facilities in the area as we don't really want to carry large amounts of cash.

4 replies to this topic
Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,641 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scary roads when touring the Pelion by car.

The road between Afissos and Lefokastro which goes along the coast has one steep bend which is challenging but not in the least bit dangerous. The worst that can happen is to meet a car coming the other way as you leave Afissos as one of you will have to reverse. The rest of the road is level. You can always take the other road which goes inland if the thought bothers you.

On the whole, the roads in Pelion are perfectly fine. The roads are narrow and twisty which is what you would expect in a mountainous area but not, in my opinion, dangerous. The only road I can think of which might bother you is the one which descends from Tsangarada to Agios Ioannis as it is quite steep with hairpin bends. I love it because of the views over the Aegean as far as the Turkish coast. The problem is that alternative routes don't really exist.

Edited: 30 July 2013, 07:17
Oxford, Mississippi
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Scary roads when touring the Pelion by car.

I'm in a similar position to that of Maldivesqueen. I am in Greece at the moment and am due to be visiting the Pelion in a few days time. I'm the only driver and am quite nervous of steep mountain roads and hairpin bends. We are meant to be staying in Zagora and had been planning to go to places like Horefto from there. Is this better avoided? What is the road from Volos to Zagora like?

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,641 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scary roads when touring the Pelion by car.

It's a mountain road but tarmac all the way. If it bothers you, stay on the western side of the mountain and explore that area instead.

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scary roads when touring the Pelion by car.

Hi M/Q

The roads are all safe in the pelion , I'm guessing you traveled by coach on your first visit?

Sat high up and on the right-hand side (not the drivers side)

And could see every corner and drop enhanced because you're another 3 mtr higher?

Well it isn't at all scary in a car and especially not so if you're the driver.

Relax , don't let this spoil a great holiday.

Reply to: Scary roads when touring the Pelion by car.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Thessaly