We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shall I go to Volos &/or Skiathos alone?

Which Volos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glastonbury
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Shall I go to Volos &/or Skiathos alone?

Hi, I've been to many parts of Greece with friends in the past (since 1971) but am now thinking about travelling alone, & would very much like to visit the Pelion area, & possibly Skiathos. Does anyone have any tips/opinions about this. Is it safe, will I be lonely, is it easy to find accommodation in Volos etc? I'm quite out-going & not shy, but this is a big change from package hols. & organised trips. I just want to branch out once more, before getting to the cruise/coach tour stage of life! I'll have to travel light. The worst thing will be leaving Gatwick at 5 a.m. aaargh! I live in Somerset.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shall I go to Volos &/or Skiathos alone?

Hey and welcome Own2feet..and you'll do perfectly fine here:-) Volos is a relatively big mainland waterfront City..loads of places to stay! Ferries depart from here to the Sporades to include Skiathos Skopelos and Alonissos! I've done this route solo more times than I can count..believe me, you'll love the freedom and flexibility..and you'll certainly meet like-minded folks en route..and it doesn't get any safer (normal precautions taken anywhere apply of course;-)! Have fun...am sure you'll Enjoy~!

Glastonbury
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shall I go to Volos &/or Skiathos alone?

Thanks Litsa, Your encouragement is much appreciated, & as I've tried travelling with everyone else, this year might be the time to branch out alone. My biggest problem is getting a good flight from the U.K. (flight to Thessaloniki leaves at 5.50 a.m. from Gatwick, which is 3 hours' drive from my home aaargh...) but I might just empty the piggy-bank & stay overnight nearby. Volos sounds too big for my liking, but as I'd like to see around the Pelion area, it would be a good base for a few days before jumping on the ferry. Everyone seems to like the Angeliki hotel in Skiathos so I could head there first, then continue to Skopelos. As you say, one is rarely lonely when alone, people are invariably friendly and helpful. I do speak a little Greek too, & want to improve.

Thanks again,

Own2feet

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,656 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shall I go to Volos &/or Skiathos alone?

I personally wouldn't choose to stay In Volos as a base for exploring Pelion and I probably wouldn't fly to Thessaloniki either. Flights to Athens are much more plentiful and at more convenient times. Unless you've already booked your flights, take a look at Athens options. It might take a bit longer to get to Volos but in my view, it's worth it.

Pelion is best explored by car as public transport services are geared towards the locals and some parts of the peninsula only get a couple of buses a day. My suggestion of a good place to stay would be Afissos on the Pagasitik Gulf coast as it is convenient for exploring the whole area. It's easy enough to get back to Volos for your Sporades ferry.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,101 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shall I go to Volos &/or Skiathos alone?

There are charter flights from UK (Gatwick) that go to Skiathos that stop off in Volos on the return flight, I used one of these (to/from Skiathos) and people were getting on/off at Volos. It would be very advantageous if you could use one of these flights - Skiathos on the outward flight and from Volos on return. It may well be only one flight a week as so few get on/off at Volos.

It will be quite pricey relative to a Thessaloniki flight but much easier. You will have a lot of extra travelling costs from Thessaloniki of course.

I know the N. Sporades islands Skiathos/Skopelos/Alonissos/Skyros pretty well, but absolutely nothing about the Pelion.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shall I go to Volos &/or Skiathos alone?

Hey again Own2feet..and my pleasure:-) You've gotten some great advice here and since I am not privvy to the flights/deals out of the UK, I make my flight arrangements around the ferry schedules to the Sporades, if that's my destination;-) If the ferries are running from Aghios Constantinos via Alkyon Travel from Athens, I fly into Athens..In the more off-Season times (I've been in Winter too!), I fly into Thessaloniki (where I have to make a plane change enroute) and take the approx 3 hour bus down to Volos and head from there! However you decide, am sure you will have a blast w/the solo experience! Keep enjoyin'!

6. Re: Shall I go to Volos &/or Skiathos alone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 January 2010, 15:32
7. Re: Shall I go to Volos &/or Skiathos alone?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shall I go to Volos &/or Skiathos alone?

Hiya!

Volos is a wonderful, seaside town full of wonderful buildings and tsipouradika (restaurants which serve meze for tsipouro). It has interesting history and very nice nightlife. I wouldn't use it as a base to explore Pelion but I would give it at least one night.

I don't think that you'll have any problem going on your own, it's a very friendly place. I'm not sure about accommodation because I used to stay with family but I remember seeing lots of hotels. If possible, try to stay near the sea.

Travelling on your own has the privilege of doing whatever you want to do, whenever you want to do it without having to ask anybody or -even worse- listen to anybody nagging because they wanted to do something else!

9. Re: Shall I go to Volos &/or Skiathos alone?

10. Re: Shall I go to Volos &/or Skiathos alone?