We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pilion or Skopolos?

santa fe, NM
Level Contributor
187 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Pilion or Skopolos?

We'll be driving from Meteora back to Athens and are thinking of stopping in the Volos area for a few days in mid july. Should we make the effort to ferry out to Skopolos for 3 nights or just visit the Pilion? We are a family of 4 and want to visit beautiful beaches with snorkeling and eat well at tavernas. Any suggestions appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Volos
Volos
Magnesia Region, Greece
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pilion or Skopolos?

Hey and welcome cajeta:-) What a choice..lol!! Both are magnificent and although I've only passed through Trikeri, have to admit the waters looked absolutely fantastic..along w/the small waterside tavernas! Sounds like you'll have a rental..be driving down from Meteora (or wherever you started) onto Athens so you'd need to bring the car on the ferry for the ride over were Skopelos to be your choice..IMO (and a bias one at that, I admit;), Skopelos is beautiful and do believe it'll fit the bill..but whether it will be worth the 3 nights..well, that's really your call considering the ferry ride over and back..take a look at www.skopelosweb.gr/ and see what you think! Just to note, if you do go to Skopelos, you can return to Athens via Aghios Constantinos on the mainland..brings you closer to Athens since the drive is about 2.5 hour or so from there as opposed to around 3.5- 4! You can also take a look at www.aroundpelion.com/pelion-map.html and check out all the choices there for some magical beaches! May be more convenient to stay mainland w/the car and just explore the area for the few days..then again, only you know your style and expectations..neither will disappoint and don't think you can make a wrong decision here either way! Let us know how the planning goes..enjoy!

Edited: 14 January 2010, 19:31
Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Skopelos
Skopelos
Sporades, Greece
santa fe, NM
Level Contributor
187 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pilion or Skopolos?

Wow Litsa! Thanks for your quick reply!

I was actually thinking of leaving the car in Volos assuming that the ferry with a car would be very expensive rather than just foot passengers. Do you know if the ferry parking would be safe for 4 days? I do like your suggestion of returning to Ag. Konstantinos instead; I guess we can wait for the ferry schedule to figure out if there are daily ferries and the relative costs or do you have a sense of this? We want to visit Thermopylae (our 12 year old son is desperate to see the Leonidas monument!) so would have to back track a bit if we skipped a return to Volos but looks like it would still be faster? Thanks so much for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Volos
Volos
Magnesia Region, Greece
Leonidas Monument
Leonidas Monument
139 Reviews
Thermopylae, Greece
Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
4,053 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pilion or Skopolos?

As regulars on here will know, I'm a huge fan of Pelion and there is so much more to see there than in Skopelos. I like Skopelos very much too but with only 3 days or so, it doesn't really make sense to me to waste a day at either end travelling to and from Skopelos. Travelling on ferries is much more time consuming that just the length of the journey. Pelion has everything you're looking for so go there.

I usually advise staying around Afissos for convenience but on this occasion, I suggest you look to stay on the Aegean coast (Ag Ioannis, Damouchari or thereabouts. The Aegean coast beaches are better as is the snorkelling.

Mentioned in this post
Pelion
Pelion
Magnesia Region, Greece
Skopelos
Skopelos
Sporades, Greece
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pilion or Skopolos?

My pleasure cajeta:-) Firstly, you won't have any problems w/daily ferries in July..neither from Volos/Skopelos or Skopelos/Aghios Konstantinos..but it appears you're looking to park the car at the lot in Volos (yes, ample parking there!) in order to return to pick it up! Aghios Constantinos would of course make sense, only if you brought the car with you..don't know how much that would run but you can always run a dummy booking on one the ferry sites here at www.gtp.gr/ www.openseas.gr/ www.greekferries.gr/ Schedules for July won't appear for a while yet but you can get an idea! Having said that, I also have agree w/philhellene here in that is does take time just to get to Skopelos..especially w/a car..Not to say it's not do-able, but with 3 nights, you may be better off sticking to the mainland! Again, it's such a personal call and really comes down to you guys..how you travel, etc...Again, this is really a tough choice since both are so great;-) Keep us posted..keep enjoyin'!

Mentioned in this post
Volos
Volos
Magnesia Region, Greece
Skopelos
Skopelos
Sporades, Greece
santa fe, NM
Level Contributor
187 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pilion or Skopolos?

Thanks Litsa and philhellene! After looking around a bit at your suggestions, I think that Pelion is the right place for us for the short amount of time we have. We'll have to return to Skopelos for longer!

A few more questions for Philhellene! Damouchari looks amazing but is there actually any lodging there? I looked at the aroundpelion.com site and found some hotels in Ag Ioannis. Are there any traditional mansions along the Aegean coast - according to the site, it looked like they are in the mtn villages only? And what other places should we absolutely not miss if we have 4 days only? Looks like we overlap with the traditional festival at Kissos, would it be an interesting event for non-greek speakers, too?

Thanks so much for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Pelion
Pelion
Magnesia Region, Greece
Skopelos
Skopelos
Sporades, Greece
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pilion or Skopolos?

Think you made the right choice cajeta:-) Am sure Philhellene will kick in w/some great advise for you here! Just to note, Damouhari is where the scene in 'Mama Mia' was shot where Meryl meets up w/her 2 girlfriends from the States;-) It does look absolutely magical there....and agree, save Skopelos for when you have the time..totally worth it;-) Enjoyin'!

Mentioned in this post
Skopelos
Skopelos
Sporades, Greece
7. Re: Pilion or Skopolos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2010, 06:17