We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few questions to help plan a summer trip

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
A few questions to help plan a summer trip

We're thinking of visiting the area around Volos in June or early July for a week and would like some advice on the following please:

Which resort can anyone recommend for a couple of fit late 40's/early 50's who love Greek food, walking and beaches where you can snorkel for daytime and low key nightlife for a few beers later. We have looked at accommodation in Agios Ioannis, Volos and Nea Anchialos.

We looked at Skiathos but discounted it due to many reports of mozzies in the summer - does this area have the same problem?, as my husband gets badly bitten so we try to avoid places where he may suffer!

Are there any public buses from the airport to the resorts? As an alternative what would a taxi cost?

Thanks in advance for any assistance, Maisy.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few questions to help plan a summer trip

Hey and welcome Maisy:-) From Volos, you're close to the magnificent Pelion area..packed with magnificent beaches, villages..would google for info on area and see what you think:-) As far as 'mozzies', you'll find that most green/lush areas will have them..Pelion...as well as the Sporades isles to include Skiathos are indeed green/lush! Happy planning..and EnjOY!

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few questions to help plan a summer trip

You really do need to rent a car to get the best out of the area. The local bus service is centred on Volos and is not designed to meet the needs of tourists so most villages get a couple of buses a day at best.

I've stayed in the area a number of times and didn't find mosquitoes to be a particular problem. I usually stay on the Pagasitic Gulf coast which is not as green and lush as the Aegean coast and that may be why they didn't bother me as much.

BTW, I wouldn't consider staying at Nea Anchialos. It's a pleasant enough area but Pelion knocks the socks off it.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
5,233 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few questions to help plan a summer trip

Have a look at the website for Houses of Pelion (www.pelion.co.uk). This is locally-based agency run by a Greek-English couple, Tim and Aphroula. They offer houses and apartments for rent and a couple of small hotel options. They can arrange transfers from Volos or from Skiathos if you fly in to there. Like Philhellene, we usually stay on the Pagasitic Gulf side and do day trips to some of the spectacular beaches on the other side. Hiring a car will enable you to explore this wonderful area and get the most out of it. But if you don't want to drive, Tim and Aphroula could certainly organise trips by taxi. By the way I don't work for them, I'm just a satisfied customer of many years!

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few questions to help plan a summer trip

Pelion side every time for me, It's a stunningly beautiful area . I've stayed there twice Kala Nera and Horto , The sea is much calmer than the other side if snorkelling is your thing . We hired a car for 3 days to get around and I found it the only practical way , as the previous post said public transport is not a strong point. Check out Milina , just a little farther south than Horto if a bit more nightlife is required [ still pretty quiet ] , Horto is lovely but very quiet . While I was there [ late August early September ] they held a music festival , classical and Greek, I believe it's a yearly thing , there may be more to it but those were the only two concerts I caught, it wasn't advertised very well , but people from Athens knew about it and attended , It's more of a Greek holiday place than one for foriegners but I loved it .

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,385 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few questions to help plan a summer trip

I visited the area about 20 years ago and stayed in Zagora, it's a lovely area for hiking.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
5,233 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few questions to help plan a summer trip

Just realised I didn't really answer your specific question. I wouldn't stay in Volos or Nea Anchialos which is on its outskirts. These are just a gateway to beautiful Mount Pelion and the rest of the peninsula. Agios Ioannis is a very nice little resort, quite laid back and low key but with great beaches and plenty of pleasant tavernas along the sea front. No large tour operators go there any more so there are not many British visitors (which we always think is a plus point). I'm sure it would suit your needs and if my memory is correct it's about an hour and a half's drive from Volos. I don't know about buses or taxis but I would suggest you call one of the small hotels in Agios Ioannis and I'm sure they would advise you. Regarding mosquitos, they are a fact of life in the summer in Greece so pack plenty of repellent.

Northumberland
Level Contributor
5 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few questions to help plan a summer trip

I have visited Pelion every year for the last 7 years and really enjoy it every time. My vote would be for the east side of the mountain simply because of the Aegean sea which is absolutely amazing - clear, clean and BLUE! June would be a lovely time to go too, the roses will probably still be out and it won't be too hot to go walking. My husband and I are both walkers and find that even when it is quite hot, the massive trees give shelter and you can always jump in the sea at the end of the walk. We base ourselves in Tsangarada which is a good starting place for walks. (The hotel we stayed in gave us maps etc.) You can walk from village square to village square contouring round the mountain, as well as upwards to the top and downwards to the sea following the old mule tracks.

With regard to transport, I agree with the other reviewers, it is better to hire a car but there are buses which seem to run reasonably regularly because I've seen them in Tsangarada, I don't know if they go down to the seaside though.

We aren't troubled much by the mosquitos - maybe they stay down at sea level?

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A few questions to help plan a summer trip

Thanks everyone for lots of great info! Sounds even better than we thought, so will have a look for accommodation in a couple of the places mentioned.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A few questions to help plan a summer trip

Our pleasure maisymeg:-) Keep us posted on the planning..and keep enjoyin'!

Wiltshire
Level Contributor
7 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A few questions to help plan a summer trip

Have you considered Amaliapolis on the opposite side of the Pagasitic to Pelion? Village is pretty low key - no clubs but nice beach and another secluded cove nearby. Walks around the village or towards Nies to the south depending on how energetic you are! Tavernas are well known especially for fresh fish. Mostly Greek visitors. As with other replies a car is recommended for exploring - great waks on Mt. Othrys, but if you want to use public transport there is a bus from Volos airport to Volos then you can take the bus to Almyros and a taxi (or bus but there are only 3 a day) to the village. A taxi from airport to Amaliapolis cost €35 last summer.

Good luck with your plans - Greece needs all the visitors it can get!