We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what would be the cheapest way to get to pelion

Tel Aviv, Israel
3 posts
Save Topic
what would be the cheapest way to get to pelion

Hello, Im planing a trip to Pelion and probably flying to Athens. I was wondering what would be the best way to get to Pelion from Athens airport?

Thank you,

Efrat

1. Re: what would be the cheapest way to get to pelion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 August 2014, 00:34
Edited: 06 August 2014, 00:34
2. Re: what would be the cheapest way to get to pelion

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 August 2014, 00:34
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,902 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: what would be the cheapest way to get to pelion

hi..had to edit the first two posts..first of all pilio is a great destination..

pelio needs a car to be explored..you can get there with public transport (buses) ,but once there ,you can't explore the area with them,unless you choose an option i will mention later (staying in volos)..

as for your question..cheapest way is usually not the best-fastest way..the best-fastest way is reting a car,picking it up from athens airport and drive to pelio.i will explain later why it's the best way...

cheapest way is by the intercity buses,..they are named ktel in greece....once in athens you have to get to liosion ktel bus station,in liosion street..you can get into any taxi from outside the airport or elsewhere and tell to the driver ''ktel liosion'' and he will get you there.

or you can get the x93 bus from outside the airport and ask the driver to notify you when you reach liosion bus station (be careful to stress liosion,there is another bus station,in kifissos,which is the end of the line)

here are the timetables of x93 (once you click on the link,choose ''backward direction'' to see the right ones,....the ones showed once you click on the link are the opposite direction of the route you want to do)

liosion bas station is fourth from the bottom

http://www.oasa.gr/xmap.php?id=px93&lang=en

i would 100 % take a taxi instead of x93 bus,because your day will be full of travelling anyway,as you will see below..no reason to add more time-energy and complicate things.

once in liosion bus station (ktel bus stations look grim but buses are clean,punctual and air conditioned) you go to the cashier selling tickets to volos (ΒΟΛΟΣ in greek)..volos is the city at the bottom of pelion mountains..you buy a ticket for the bus to volos,and ask where to wait for it (bus stations need a bit of time to figure out,allow time for this)..here are the schedules..choose from athens to volos and see them..check the page when you are about to arrive,they may change .

http://ktelvolou.gr/en/routes/map/&map=greece

once in volos bus station,you take another bus to the village you want to go in pelion mountain..again using the same procedure (buy a ticket to the village,ask where to wait etc..greeks sepak english generally,don't worry)..

here is the link to find the schedule to pelion villages from volos..again,look at them once you are closer to arriving,they may have changed

ktelvolou.gr/en/routes/map/&map=magnesia

follow the instructions,choose a village and see the routes.

is a car out of the question?all the buses to the villages seem to go through volos,so if you want to explore a village with the buses you have to get to volos first for each and every route and then catch another bus to the next village (assuming schedules are suitable)....this doubles the bus rides,adds bus connections you have to make..all in all it's not pratical,it won't work....without a car your only realistic option is to get to one of these villages and stay there,without exploring the area..or,,your best option is to base yourself in volos,and visit each village per day with a direct bus to this village and back..that's what i would do if i couldn't get a car for any reason (whch is by far the best choice,and to be frank,without a car i wouldn't go to pelio at all).

bottom line,pelio needs a car to be better explored..

here is a lnk with some info to help you choose places-villages..

http://www.discoverpelio.com/

the volos-milies little train has a gorgeous scenery,if it runs when you are there don't miss it

Edited: 06 August 2014, 00:37
Tel Aviv, Israel
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: what would be the cheapest way to get to pelion

Hey, thank you for your thorough reply.

We were just afraid because we read the roads are very "hilly" and narrow and it scared us a bit.

Our plan was to travel in Pelion and stay in a place for 1 two days and then continue. so it does sounds that a car would be necessary.

We thought of starting from volos to portaria, drakia, zagora, kissos, damouchari, tsagkarada.

Also, i wanted to ask if you recommend booking places to sleep in advance? we found some places between 20-30 euros per couple, which is good, but also dont know if we want to set it all so much in advance, and stay flexible. could we find these kind of cheap places also when we get there?

many thanks,

efrat

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,539 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what would be the cheapest way to get to pelion

Some excellent advice there from athanasios, but as he indicates a car will enable you to make the best of the area (well, any area of Greek mainland really)

In September we are visiting Pelion for the first time, having toured many other parts of the mainland. I was told it is not necessary to book rooms, although we have done so because we have a busy walking agenda & need to know we can go straight to a room each evening without having to knock on several doors. I think it depends what time of year you will be visiting. It sounds as though you are happy with basic rooms, but it can eat up time if you have to trawl around a village looking for somewhere. There are a lot of listings on Booking.com (which I used) so you could just book via that site as you go perhaps for the next couple of nights when you have a better idea of where you are heading for. You might not get the absolute cheapest room that way, but better to spend an extra €5 & have extra time for enjoying exploring.

If you need a car from Athens airport I can recommend Athens Car Rental. We always use them now from Athens - good prices, good cars & a local independent Greek company who you can deal with direct rather than an anonymous online broker.

http://www.athens-carrental.com/

From the airport you are straight onto the main highway going north - about 4-5 hours to Volos. There are tolls so have some money ready. Lots of information here about the highway & junction maps

http://en.aodos.gr/summary.asp?catid=21707

We expect the roads in Pelion to be narrow & hilly, but we always find roads in Greece pretty quiet & we just let local drivers go past us & on their way whilst we take time to admire the scenery.

Tel Aviv, Israel
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: what would be the cheapest way to get to pelion

Great. thank you very much for your detailed replay and information.

we plan to travel from 23/9 to 6/10.

we are a bit lost with the decision to book or not. we are two couples and afraid that if we dont book a room we might get to a place where they only have one room etc...

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,902 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: what would be the cheapest way to get to pelion

hi,like tsipouro said,the roads are not worse than anywhere in greece..it's a mountain,so you are going up in some turning roads,i trust you are a confident driver? if you are and remain careful you will not hava a problem,don't make images in your mind of terrible conditions..

here is a video that shows both the mountainous roads and the gorgeous villages of portaria ans makrynitsa..watch it and you will know what to expect..it will keep you motivated for this trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkg4DijTmWg

you are visiting in low season,chances are you will find rooms,but is the flexibility worth losing time searching for rooms at every village you stay? i like to book because that's who i am,if flexibility is important for you do it your way,knowing you are taking a slight risk.

DO take a car,you will understand it's the right move once there.

Edited: 06 August 2014, 22:28
South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,539 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what would be the cheapest way to get to pelion

The Pelion is not a huge area although I do understand travelling times can be slowish due to mountain roads. We will move around a lot so we can start hikes early morning without driving. However if we were just exploring villages & driving between them we would have based ourselves in just 2 places for a week each. Sounds as though that could be a good plan for you. Perhaps a few days at an inland village like Tsangarada & a few days at a coastal location further south. Depends what you prefer - coast or hills? busier resort or quiet corner? We are there until 27th September so we might even bump into you!

With 4 of you it might be better to have bookings in advance & I don't get the impression that anywhere in the area will be a disappointment. Spoilt for choice!

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
5,243 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what would be the cheapest way to get to pelion

You have had some great advice already so I will just agree that you do need a car to explore Pelion and get the most from your visit. The main roads from Athens to Volos are mostly fast highways but once through Volos you will be on narrow, winding country roads. Driving is slow, especially if you get stuck behind a truck or a bus, because you will go for miles without being able to overtake!

I think in late September and early October you should be able to find accommodation without booking a long time in advance but it is probably a good idea to call a day or two beforehand to check if the places you want have rooms available.

Edited: 06 August 2014, 23:44
10. Re: what would be the cheapest way to get to pelion

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2015, 02:25