We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Ano Gatzea - recommendations

London, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Ano Gatzea - recommendations

We are due to stay in Ano Gatzea for a couple of weeks in September.

Any recommendations of places to eat, great walks and places to visit in and around Pelion / Volos?

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,910 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Ano Gatzea - recommendations

Anticipating my own first visit to Pelion in September - there seems to be a lot of footpaths on the peninsula so am hoping to find & walk many of the trails which are reputed to be reasonably well marked. However this is Greece so a good map (like Anavasi or Terrain editions) would be almost essential to navigation. If you are staying in one place for two weeks you may have to do a fair bit of driving to access walks beyond the local ones, but there seem to be plenty of paths, kalderimi & back roads around And Gatzea. A path follows the railway line in that area & it does look very scenic. Plus there are lots of small villages with tavernas so you can eat somewhere different every meal!

If you Google "Pelion" it brings up several visitor guide sites & you might also like to find a copy of the Toubis book of the area. I bought it online - from Greece, as no supplier in UK - but it should be available locally when you get there. These are well illustrated books, part of a series covering all of Greece, which give a good introduction to all the sights & villages of an area.

Might just see you there out walking!

Edited: 21 August 2014, 14:54
Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
5,616 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Ano Gatzea - recommendations

Assuming you will have a car, drive up to the mountain villages of Milies, Vizitsa and Pinakates. They are all picturesque, traditional Pelion villages. Milies has an interesting 18th century library and a small but fascinating folklore museum. In all the Pelion villages you need to leave your car on the outskirts and explore by foot. Many of the little cobbled lanes were designed for - and are still used by - donkeys rather than cars.

Over on the other side of the mountain Tsangarada is a large village with four distinct districts all centred around their own church and plateia. The massive thousand year old plane tree in the square of Agia Paraskevi is quite a sight. Continuing down to the coast via Mouressi, another attractive village, you come to the small resort of Agios Ioannis with two excellent sandy beaches. The nearby hamlet of Damouchari is very pretty.

There are beautiful beaches down the east coast - Lambinou, Milopotamos, Limnionas, Fakistra and many others are sandy with impressive rock formations and clear, turquoise sea. The west coast beaches are pebbly and usually narrow but the water of the Pagasitic Gulf is crystal clear and very calm, and there are great views across to the mountains on the other side.

To see the different landscapes of the south, drive down to the tip of the peninsula to the village of Trikeri and its little fishing port Agia Kiriaki. Where you can get an excellent lunch at one of the small fish tavernas.

Dalton-in-Furness...
Level Contributor
549 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Ano Gatzea - recommendations

I have written on Virtual Tourist about our visit to the Pelion region. have a look at my tips, if you are interested.

members.virtualtourist.com/m/87f23/66481/

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
5,616 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Ano Gatzea - recommendations

Hi Nickandchris, I enjoyed reading your report all aboaut Horto, our favourite place to stay in Pelion. I'm guessing your report dates from quite a while back as Kosmar, Tapestry and Houses of Pelion have all now gone out of business, very sadly. But it doesn't matter because Horto and Pelion in general have hardly changed a bit :-)

cheshire
Level Contributor
149 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Ano Gatzea - recommendations

There is a lovely mountain walk which we enjoy which starts along the main road from Kala Nera and takes you up to the village of Milies and if you wish you can carry on to Vizitsa.

Dalton-in-Furness...
Level Contributor
549 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Ano Gatzea - recommendations

Thanks, 2bristolians. it was 2005. If you look at the bottom of the introductory page there is a date. I often have to look to remind myself of dates!!

Hope to return one day......

London, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Ano Gatzea - recommendations

Thanks to everyone for your ideas and suggestions.

Luxembourg City...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Ano Gatzea - recommendations

The "Old Bakery" in Ano Gatzea, just by the train station there, is a lovely place run by an English guy named Rich. He can accommodate 2-6 people I think. There are a couple of new accommodations on the property that might not be on the web-site. The terrace is gorgeous as is the view, and he knows all about the walks. We have been there more than once and just came back.

9. Re: Staying in Ano Gatzea - recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2016, 09:08
Dalton-in-Furness...
Level Contributor
549 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying in Ano Gatzea - recommendations

Enjoyed your report neven1.