We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it a good time to travel the Baltics?

Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is it a good time to travel the Baltics?

Hi,

I am looking to travel the Baltic region somewhere in mid December, January or early February.

Thinking of landing in Copenhagen and in about 2 weeks, visit some cities like Malmo, Lübeck, Hamburg, Gydansk, Rostock, etc.

But I'm wondering if the cold weather will affect what attractions thats available to visit or see.

Any good advice or suggestions?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it a good time to travel the Baltics?

Your destinations are not really in the Baltics (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania), but in Sweden, Germany and Poland. You may get better response if you post in the respective destination forums.

Hans

Edited: 28 November 2012, 13:38
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
5,501 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it a good time to travel the Baltics?

The old Hansa cities around the Baltic have a lot to offer as regards culture, history and architecture and generally you will find thesights open , with a few exceptions, such as places related to countryside/park experience. Connections are often good and cheap, especially by plane - try the wizzair, norwegian, swebus websites for instance.

Sweden and Denmark are the most expensive countries in the region as regards everything, including accomodation, whereas Poland and the 3 Baltic states are the cheapest. I liked Gdansk !

Edited: 28 November 2012, 14:06
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it a good time to travel the Baltics?

Yes Hans, I'd agree that the cities I have picked are not quite the Baltic cities. And I'll probably post them in the respective countries.

Thanks for the tip! But do let me if you know on any information about the cities I'd mention or it's surrounding region, it will be helpful to me.

Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it a good time to travel the Baltics?

Hi Joen,

You read my mind; I am looking at the Hansa Liga cities. :)

I too will love to visit Gdansk; and you seem to have been to a few of the Hanseatic League cities, please do share more info about them if you could, I'd like to know more.

Also, I'm a little concerned about the winter in Denmark as well as northern Germany and the other northernly cities. In your opinion, would the cold affect many of the dailly sight seeing places, like the museums, cultural centres or even the cafes or restaurants in these place?

Regards,

Kel

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
5,501 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it a good time to travel the Baltics?

Weather is a bit unpredictable in this region, but unless you are used to a very warm climate, it is most likely not going to be a real problem, if you bring warm clothes. Here in Denmark for instance snow is actually not very common in winter, most of the days we don´t have any snow. Day temperatures usually move around 5 degrees Celsius or so, but there can be changes, including longer periods of frost and snow. However they very rarely affect traffic schedules/logistics.

In the northernly part of the Baltic Sea, winters can be rougher. But there´s also something cozy about indoor life in the dark season (visiting eating places, cafes, sights and museums ...). You should expect at least 6-7 hours of daylight.

I have concentrated on other destinations lately, but I was in Hamburg and Gdansk quite recently. Hamburg has great museums and a varied cityscape including some historical buildings, but most of the city is rather modern due to WW II. Gdansk has a surprisingly monumental historial area, reasonably reconstructed after the war, and is certainly worth visiting. It´s been a long time since I was in Lübeck and Rostock, can´t say that much, but I´d like to go there again. Greifswald and Stralsund are also on my list , likewise due to their sights, as are the capitals of the Baltic states and their interesting cultures ...

All of the major cities have sights for several days or even more, it´s just a matter of choosing, perhaps trying to compose a programme with selected contrasts ;-).

Edited: 28 November 2012, 17:11
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it a good time to travel the Baltics?

Right Joen,

Thats really good solid advice and information! I have 2 questions, if it's not too much trouble :)

Do you know of ferry transports from Copenhagen to Travemunde in Germany? As I believe there are train services from there to Lubeck and Hamburg. Or you might think that other forms of transport into Germany will be better?

Lastly, understanding English is not a problem for most people in Copenhagen right? I can see that you have flawless English! :)

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it a good time to travel the Baltics?

No ferry directly from Copenhagen to Germany - but just jump on a train - Hamburg is just 4 and a half hour away - the train crosses on the ferry between Rødby in Denmark and Puttgarten in Germany and the train stops in Lubeck.

Look up connections at www.db.de

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
5,501 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it a good time to travel the Baltics?

English is widely spoken, yes.

Concerning Travemünde, the train will be the best option - you might try a site like www.bahn.com for schedules etc. (Copenhagen = Koebenhavn)

The train route is also the fastest if you are coming from Malmö.

For a more complete survey of logistics in just that area you might-might check out these:

Ferries:

stenaline.de/faehren/…

http://www.scandlines.com/

Buses:

http://www.eurolines-travel.com/ (includes Copenhagen - Hamburg)

http://www.graahundbus.dk/5-besk.htm (Danish only; includes Copenhagen - Rostock - Berlin)

Edited: 30 November 2012, 09:12
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it a good time to travel the Baltics?

Thanks Joen!

This is indeed superb information; I greatly appreciate it :)

Regards,

Kelvin

10. Re: Is it a good time to travel the Baltics?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 07:15