We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our trip to Scandinavia

California
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Our trip to Scandinavia

Hello fellow travelers!

My husband and I are planning our 2015 trip to Northern Europe and Russia. (We love to start early : )

We would appreciate some advice from the Tripadvisor community as to what month(s) to travel and which route would maximize the best weather and cultural experiences in each venue.

Our destinations: Copenhagen, Denmark (with day trip to Malmo, Sweden),

Gothenburg and Stockholm Sweden

St. Petersburg, Russia

Should we start in Russia or Denmark?

What month(s) would you suggest?

Are we missing something fabulous with this itinerary?

How long in each city?

Train travel or car?

Hotels, B & Bs or Vacation rental?

This is a lot to ask, so thank you for any advice you might purvey.

Happy Traveling!!!!

Nancy White

California

Grand Day Trip around Copenhagen
171 reviews
from US$175.20*
Copenhagen Card
638 reviews
from US$66.80*
Copenhagen Food Tour
178 reviews
from US$146.00*
Copenhagen Small Group Bike Tour
61 reviews
from US$50.00*
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our trip to Scandinavia

Weather wise August is often the best month in Denmark.

Hans

California
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Our trip to Scandinavia

Thank you, we will take this under advisement.

California
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Our trip to Scandinavia

What do you think?

I am now thinking of adding Helsinki.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
5,916 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our trip to Scandinavia

Apparently you are not including Norway, which has the quintessential, "Scandinavian" fjord and mountain scenery? Bergen for instance has a good deal of cultural sights and nearby, dramatic fjord scenery. Stavanger likewise.

If you have several weeks, a car will no doubt give you better possibilities of exploring local scenery, natural sights, villages etc. in some cases. Rental is not cheap in Scandinavia though, and you shouldn´t underestimate distances, but combine with public transport/flights.

California
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Our trip to Scandinavia

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. I am getting the feeling that we may want to eliminate some of the cities we were planning. For a three week trip, I am open to suggestions for a wonderful Scandinavia/Russia experience. We don't mind visiting during tourist season; we just want to travel when the places we visit are at their most beautiful. Being retired has its benefits. I started my research by looking at "The Most Beautiful Cities in Scandinavia". I trust my fellow Tripadvisor members and experts will do a better job of advising me.

So lucky to be a part of this community!

6. Re: Our trip to Scandinavia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2015, 06:16