We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bornholm Day Trip

Vancouver
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Bornholm Day Trip

Hi, I will be spending a week in Copenhagen end of Aug and would very much like to do a day trip to Bornholm, especially to see the round churches. It looks easy to get to via DSB InterCity Bornholm with several train/ferry departures throughout the day.

I'm curious if anyone knows about the local transit / bus system and accessibility for the round churches. I did have a look at www.bat.dk and seems like route 3 or 5 from Rønne pass both Nylars and Osterlars. Does anyone know if the churches are easily reached by using this bus and if the timetable posted online at BAT is reliable enough to plan a day visit? I would just hop off the bus and then catch the next one that comes along, move on to the next church and repeat. Then connect back up with the ferry in Rønne to head back to Ystad and onto Copenhagen.

Is this a feasible plan? From what I've read you can simply flag the bus down from the side of the road, is it true? I don't speak any Danish either. Would English be as widely understood on Bornholm as in the rest of Denmark?

Any further info on this would be really appreciated. Seems like an easy thing to do yet there are some posts on this forum not recommending public transport as a way of getting around Bornholm.

1 reply
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
5,029 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bornholm Day Trip

Hi,

it is doable, but you should of course try to get as many hours as possible on Bornholm.

As you might know, the question of daytrips from Copenhagen to the island turns up regularly here and we usually recommend people to stay on the Island overnight if possible, to experience the ambience and a good deal of the island´s many sights.

The Bornholm Express company and the Graahundbus Company also have good connections to the Island, Bornholm Express sometimes delivering a short guided tour in Danish though focusing on major sights generally, including the Østerlars Church, probably the highlight among the 4 Bornholm round churches. They stop at Østerlars, but I don´t know if it includes going inside the church. You seem to be an independent-minded traveller preferring to organize the visit yourself, though.

(use google translate):

http://www.graahundbus.dk/6-besk.htm

http://www.bornholmexpress.dk/176we.htm

www.bornholmexpress.dk/bornholm/Busrundtur/…

The churches are within walking distance the village centers on the bus routes, I think.

I´m sure that the timetables are correct and reliable, but do insert some margin in your planning for orientation, visits and walks. Drivers or passengers will speak English as well.

I´d suggest that you ask the questions at the tourist information on Bornholm too

http://www.bornholm.info/en

and remember to check out the opening hours of the churches too, of course.

Edited: 08 August 2013, 09:13
Reply to: Bornholm Day Trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bornholm
Recent Conversations