We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Billund in may

england
Level Contributor
83 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Billund in may

Coming over on the ferry from harwich in may and have 4 nights booked in lalandia. Our kids are 2 and 4. Obviously we will be going to legoland but do you think 1 or 2 days. need to spend some time in the water park in lalandia but where should we go the other days. Son very interested in vikings where is the best viking museum. Is copenhagen too far in the car ? Does lalandia still do discounted tickets for legoland. thanks in advance

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Billund in may

Hi,

It's about 270 km - about 3 hours drive - from Billund to Copenhagen. Be aware of the toll for crossing the Great Belt bridge - DKK 220 in each direction.

The only real viking museum is in Roskilde - about 35 km west of Copenhagen.

vikingeskibsmuseet.dk/index.php…

Hans

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
604 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Billund in may

How about the Viking Centre just south of Ribe? It is a "living history" place, about a hour's drive southwest of Billund. Check the opening hours, though: for at least part of May it seems to be open only M-F 10-3:30.

ribevc.net.dynamicweb.dk/Default.aspx?ID=232

Also, your son may be too young to appreciate this, but you will be very close to the rune stones at Jelling.

http://www.kongernesjelling.dk/index_ENG.htm

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Billund in may

The Viking Center is not an actual museum it's a place where people reenact living like vikings.

In Ribe there is a museum that has a viking collection:

http://www.ribesvikinger.dk/

Beccles, UK
Level Contributor
22 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Billund in may

Odense has a fabby train museum if they're into that - quite a way, but nowhere near as far as Copenhagen and a much smaller town to drive into and park in. And you avoid the toll bridge and get to drive past Middelfart...

Good beaches on the west coast if it's nice weather - was v quiet last May half term and enough days of really hot sunshine to be worthwhile. Either north of south of Esbjerg - easy enough to get to Esbjerg on the motorway and then have a wander up the coast from there.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Billund in may

There is no motorway from Billund to Esbjerg.

The good beaches are north of Esbjerg. South Esbjerg is the Wadden Sea.

Why go via Esbjerg to get to the west coast? Easiest way fro Billund is via Grindsted and Varde.

Hans

Beccles, UK
Level Contributor
22 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Billund in may

Thanks - I always think of that long, old road to Esbjerg as a motorway :-) It's pretty quick - and I agree, I forgot that you can head north west and get to the coast as well...

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Billund in may

I am a big fan of the Givskud Zoo myself and if your kids like animals, I am pretty sure they'll love to too.

8. Re: Billund in may

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2010, 06:23