We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ferry prices

Canvey Island
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Topic
ferry prices

I quite fancied a trip to Denmark next year on the Harwich Esbjerg ferry. I took it years ago and paid around £80 for a foot passenger.

Now the cheapest I can find is a staggering £320 return. I could fly to New York for that?

Can anyone tell me what the cheapest prices are and when the best time to travel is? Or is this the standard price? Seems outrageous for a foot passenger return in February to me.

Mentioned in this post
Denmark
Denmark
Europe
New York
New York
United States
Ribe Vikinge Center
Historic Sites, Speciality Museums
Ribe Domkirke
Architectural Buildings, Sacred & Religious Sites
Fisheries- and Maritime Museum
Natural History Museums, Speciality Museums, History Museums, Aquariums
Mennesket ved havet
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ferry prices

The way I read DFDS website, you can't book a ticket - at least not online - without accommodation, and you as a single traveller have to pay for a two bunk cabin hence the price.

You may have to called them and ask if it's possible to get a ticket without a cabin.

Another option is to fly - and in my opinion February may be cheap but it's a really dreary time of year to visit.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,959 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ferry prices

£160 per cabin/way seem to be the standard price for an "Inside 2-berth cabin" in February (found £144 per cabin/way in June).

The ferry ticket in itself costs £0.

Cheapest way to travel with DFDS is to get 5 others to share a cabin with you, price then would be £77.33 each.

I think previously they offered shared same-sex cabins (hostel style), but this seem to have been dropped.

Liverpool, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ferry prices

im taking my bike over on the 26th january if you're interested in sharing a room? very keen to split the cost. im going to call them tomorrow to see if you can do it without a cabin, i think it's mandatory though.

4. Re: ferry prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 February 2013, 17:35
london
Level Contributor
23 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ferry prices

Prices seem to have spiralled out of control these days. It is almost as if DFDS wont to turn this into a cargo route only..

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ferry prices

i have been researching this for a friend and am appalled at the cost of cabins on this route. I prefer to use ferries and have done so recently to Holland, France and Spain. The cabin costs for all of these bear no comparison to the extortionate costs of the Danish trip.

My theory is that now this is the only ferry route into Scandinavia the company feel they can charge what they like - and are doing so! In fact I suspect they are trying to price out passengers so the boat becomes freight only.

I was looking forward to taking the ferry one day but at those prices I simply couldn't justify the cost - so Denmark's loss and realistically the Low Countries gain.

Edited: 11 June 2013, 21:24
Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
7. Re: ferry prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2016, 03:17
Get answers to your questions about Esbjerg