We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Scandanavia really expensive?

Belfast
Level Contributor
118 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Is Scandanavia really expensive?

When i mention my intention to visit Scandanavia,a common response is how expensive its supposed to be.

Is this really the case re;accomodation,eating and drinking etc?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Scandanavia really expensive?

it definitely appeared true for me based on accommodation - I'm going to 10 cities between august and september and booked all my hotels together in early March and my hotel in Copenhagen, which is relatively comparable to the places in all the other cities in terms of reviews on this site and location and stuff is significantly more expensive - and I got a really good deal on it through travelocity.

That said, I'm not upset that I'm going to copenhagen instead of somewhere less expensive. I can't wait to go and i'll just have to ignore the cost a little bit and enjoy it!!

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
336 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Scandanavia really expensive?

I have been to UK recently, and I found your country expensive (!) so maybe it is a matter of how well you know where to go.

For Americans I guess your very weak dollar is the main reason. If I compare with the Swedish Krona (SEK), you got twice as much for a dollar only some years ago. With the Irac war as a turning point, the dollar is now more and more replaced by the Euro as hard currency troughout the world, atleast for all Europe including Russia. The currencies in Denmark and Norway have strengthen the last decade.

I am right now planning a trip to USA to take advantage of the weak dollar. :)

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
442 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Scandanavia really expensive?

In Copenhagen:

accommodation - same as other W.European capitals

bars - expensive, £7 for a beer £9 for wine

eating out - little/no more than in UK (wine cranks up the bill) but tips not expected

shopping/clothes/gifts etc. - a little more than UK equivalents

supermarkets - very reasonble, beer/wine same as UK

Some bars/restaurants don't take non-Danish credit cards, or charge about 4% extra for doing so. (Apparently this is something Danish banks imposed following an attempt by Swedish banks to steal their customers a few years ago).

Could be wrong, but i sensed Malmo (Sweden) was slightly cheaper - similar prices but 12/13 Skr to the £ instead of 10/11 Dkr. And no problem with foreign credit cards, either.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
336 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Scandanavia really expensive?

That is right - the price index for Sweden is a lower/cheaper than Denmark. After the bridge was built many Danes live in Sweden, mainly of cost for living reasons.

Bonita, California
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Scandanavia really expensive?

I think all places are expensive regardless of the strength of your money. Everyone is out for the almighty money and they adjust the price of an item to make a profit. For example, you go into a store, they say they are having a 50% sale. You see an item for 20.00, you get it for 10.00, the store only paid 4.00 for it originally. They will make money regardless.

Room rates are adjusted the same way, in the Winter rooms are cheaper in colder areas because no one wants to go to cold places if they are on vacation. So the rooms are adjusted accordingly. It doesn't matter how strong the dollar is or not. A beautiful room with a view of the ocean and everything being first class, you will pay big bucks. If it is a place that has nice weather year round, you will pay top dollar regardless of when you go.

I try to look at things this way, if I want to go, I just go. I try to stay in the least expensive places, because I know I am going to be out all day and don"t need to pay $300.00 per night when I know I am only going to sleep and shower and then be gone again.

We are leaving for Denmark on June 28th. I found a room in the middle of Copenhagen for $126.00 per night. More then I am used to paying in America, what with Motel 6 and others that are only around $50.00 - $85.00 per night. Try to get your monies worth but just go and enjoy yourself.

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Scandanavia really expensive?

My reply may be a little late, but since it is only your intention, and not a definite plan, I am guessing you haven't been here yet.

It would be wrong to talk of general prices in Scandinavia, since prices btw Scandinavian countries differ a lot with Norway being in a superleague of its own when it comes to high prices.

Accomodation is in general expensive in all three countries, but there are cheap alternatives. Eating out is cheapest in Denmark and most expensive in Norway (a beer will easily cost you around 7-8 pounds.)

If you should decide to go, and come to Copenhagen (IMO by far the most beautiful and interesting city in Scandinavia - followed by Stockholm) I'll be glad to give some tips on restaurants that are not too expensive.

Tomas

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Scandanavia really expensive?

DonTomas I would love your inexpensive Copenhagen recommendations! Thanks in advance!

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Scandanavia really expensive?

Sure... Let me know what hotel you're in. You will be better off with a few nearby tips than with a lot of tips, you'll never get around to because they're too far away.

Tomas

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Scandanavia really expensive?

Weeeeeeeelllllllllllllllll that is part of my dilemma ;) I have 2 reservations (for mid-late August) and haven't decided where to stay yet. They're at the Square and the new Hotel Guldsmeden Axel.

Need to decide which to cancel (Square gets some awful reviews, and Axel just opened so am a little nervous about it)... either way they are both close to the station and Tivoli and all that. Of course I will be sight-seeing around the whole city, will eat in Nyhavn or that area at least for a lunch or a dinner, plus I'm sure others will appreciate any suggestions you might have so any place that you really love, I'm all ears!

Usually I don't like planning restaurants in advance, I prefer going by how i feel when i get there and getting recommendations as I'm out sight-seeing, but because I'm spending more more money than I should on hotel there no matter which of the 2 i decide, I have to be a bit more careful about my eating in Copenhagen, so thanks I really appreciate your suggestions!

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Scandanavia really expensive?

Debstah,

Yes, they are both close to the Central Station and Tivoli, but they're on opposite sides of these, and in fact, in quite different areas. Actually in two different boroughs.

Square is in the City Center right on Rådhuspladsen (Town Hall Square). Lots of neon, very open space, many tourists, people, traffic etc. Also right by the beginning of the Strøget (long, famous pedestrian shopping street that winds all the way down to Kongens Nytorv - which is a nicer, more 'classicly french' type of square. But now I'm getting too far away. )

Guldsmeden is in a neighbourhood called Vesterbro (roughly translates into Westbridge). Narrower streets, more local feel. It is also the main area for adult stores, pushers and prostitutes, but don't let that scare you too much. There are way more students, architects, designers and models than there are dopedealers and street walkers, and the area is perfectly safe.

I don't want to recommend any of them, although I am sure (without actually haven been inside the rooms of any of them) that The Square is the fancier option -and more expensive, I would guess.

Around Rådhuspladsen is not your best option for cheap dining, as it is touristy and hence often overpriced. But you don't have to wander too far away to find good food at decent prices.

These would be some options in walking distance from both hotels:

Lê Lê (On Vesterbrogade by Vesterbro Torv) - Viatnamese restaurant set in a large room with a high ceiling. I like to refer to the type of interior as New York-style, don't know if that makes sense to you. Reasonable prices, very good food and super atmosphere. Reservations not possible, wait at the bar for next table. One of my current favourites.

Spicy Corner (On Torvegade). Walk over Knippelsbro to the area called Christianshavn, an old area with channels etc., and eat very cheap Indian food. While the food is okay, you should eat here as part of touring this area. Although decent, it's not a lifechanging eating experience.

A Fair (In Nansensgade). Nice, small, light and white place with a three course menu for 149 DKR / 25 USD. There are other good eating (and drinking) options in this street. Bibendum is a nice and popular winebar with tapas for instance. (but not that cheap)

Wagamama (Tietgensgade)- asian quickish food. Pretty big place. Very reasonable prices.

D'Angelo (Store Kngensgade). One of the best options if you want Italian food at decent prices. If you want the cosier, pricier and more authentic Italian feel, nearby La Vecchia Signora would be an alternative.

For typical Danish lunch ie. rye bread with meat, vegies etc on top (served a million places at random quality) I would recommend two places. Either Told og Snaps in Toldbodgade, right by Nyhavn or Kanalcaféen on Frederiksholms Kanal. The latter is a bit more expensive, but has outside tables right by the channel with the old sailing ships. Lots of politicians eat here, you can see the parlament across the channel.

If you feel like splurging are little more (without going really crazy), some good options would be Umami in Store Kongensgade (Asian fusion style) or Cofoco in Abel Cathrines Gade (French/Danish).

These are just some restaurants off the top of my head. I'll get back if others comes to mind.

Tomas