We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for trip to Tivoli Christmas Market

London
Level Contributor
43 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for trip to Tivoli Christmas Market

Hi,

I'm thinking about making an early booking for a trip to the Tivoli Christmas Market with my boyfriend. We would probably come on a Friday and leave on a Sunday.

I would be grateful for any advice people have as to where to stay that isn't too expensive, whether the market is open 7 days a week, whether it's worth coming to visit at all!

I would also be grateful if someone could let me know how much daylight there is at that time of year. I'm guessing with it being so far north and pretty much midwinter the days might be quite short...

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Tivoli Hotel
Tivoli Hotel
3,472 Reviews
Copenhagen, Denmark
Scotland
Level Contributor
593 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for trip to Tivoli Christmas Market

Greetings

The market is open 7 days a week, and pretty late into the evenings, I think. It's pretty dark- same as Scotland which has 6-7 hours of daylight in mid-December, so the sun sets by 3:30-4pm. But that's fine because Tivoli is best in the dark when all the lights are twinkling.

Having been to the Tivoli Christmas Market twice in the last few years, I think it is getting more and more commercialized. The first year it was opened (2004? 2005?), there were stalls which had wonderful handmade ornaments, but last Christmas I couldn't find anything like them. I was there just before Christmas last year, so it is possible that stalls were getting low on popular stock. But, frankly, most of the stuff for sale seems very 'Danish mass market' (i.e. made in China for the Denmark) - lots of red & white, but nothing that you couldn't find elswhere.

There are some fun items - I love the hand-knit mittens, socks & hats, and the pretty lanterns. Also, if there are lots of fun, but hardly uniquely Danish ornaments. The best is probably the food - lots of treats to bring back to the UK. And to eat there - glog, pancakes, hard candy - it all smells heavenly!

For Brits the prices will probably not be too bad, but not cheap either. And it can also be VERY crowded on the weekends, so it can take a while to get around. However, I think it is well worth the entrance fee, especially if the weather is cold & crisp, because there's nothing more wonderful than Tivoli with all the thousands of lights twinkling. So go for the ambiance, not the shopping and you'll be pleased.

It might be fun to start down near Kongens Nytorv (skip the Nyhavn Market though - not good at all. You can watch people skating on Kongens Nytorv (and possibly see the Nutcracker at the Royal Theatre), then walk down the Stroget which is all lit up with decorations. The Stroget ends at Radhuspladsen, again all lit up, which is a 5 minute walk from Tivoli.

Have fun!

Kate

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Tivoli Hotel
Tivoli Hotel
3,472 Reviews
Copenhagen, Denmark
Denmark
Denmark
Europe
Nyhavn
Nyhavn
22,856 Reviews
Copenhagen, Denmark
Radhuspladsen
Radhuspladsen
331 Reviews
Copenhagen, Denmark
Derby, England
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for trip to Tivoli Christmas Market

I'm looking at heading to Copenhagen for a christmas break leaving December 27th and returning to the UK on December 29th.

Will many places be open then or will the city close down for christmas? We just want a relaxing couple of days away, and have looked at having a spa day etc on the 28th.

Any advice on whether that time of year is good to visit is appreciated.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark
Copenhagen Denmark
Destination Expert
for Copenhagen
Level Contributor
612 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for trip to Tivoli Christmas Market

Hi Timmy,

All shops are closed December 24, 25 and 26. Some small shops will perhaps close down for the whole week between Christmas and New Year, but apart from that everything will be "back to normal" on December 27.

To comment on the Tivoli Market, I agree with former poster that it isn't interesting if you are there for purchasing christmas gifts, but I love it at night when all the lights are lit and it truly is romantic and magical. Just don't expect to find that special gift.

I would say that the Tivoli market is definitely worth visiting because of the lights and ambience, but there are plenty of other christmas markets in Copenhagen worth visiting. I usually get a couple of invitations to "private" ones that I will happily pass on if it has any interest. Also take a look at aok.dk in November, there will be plenty of suggestions to Xmas markets. Especially the one at Copenhagen Design School is worth visiting, but my favorite is an Indian Market in a private apartment just behind Amalienborg Castle. The owners go to India every year and buy all sorts of ornaments, clothes and kitchenware. If you like I'll send you the details when I get the invitation.

I have never been, but the market in Malmø (40 minutes by train from central Copenhagen) should be quite wonderful.

As for the hotel, what is your budget? For a Christmas trip I would stay around Kongens Nytorv.

Katrine

Mentioned in this post
Tivoli Hotel
Tivoli Hotel
3,472 Reviews
Copenhagen, Denmark
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark
Amalienborg
Amalienborg
2,168 Reviews
Copenhagen, Denmark
4. Re: Advice for trip to Tivoli Christmas Market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 13:17