We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary

Which Copenhagen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary

Hi All,

We will be in Copehagen for two days and one night. We will be driving to Copehagen from Hamburg. I am trying to come up with an interary. So far, I have came up with Tivoli as a must do.

As I will be in Copehagen this weekend Oct 20-21, I thought I would pose a question about the itinerary. Meanwhile I will continue to read my TimeOut Copenhagen. Can you give me some pointers with regards to must-sees as I/we will have a very short time there. Thanks so much.

We will be staying the Marriott. From the reviews on TA, it seems like it is 10 min walk to the center. We should have no problem with that. I thought I mention that has any bearing on the itinerary.

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary

SD,

I am sorry to tell you that Tivoli is closed for the season and won't open again until the end of November for its christmas market.

But I am sure you will still find plenty of things to do in the city. The weather has been pretty decent lately and it is quite beautiful in fall, especially when the sun shines.

The Marriot is not super central, but like you said, it is within a decent walking distance to the city center and many attractions.

Take a walk around Kongens Have, a beautiful park (especially this time of year) right by Kongens Nytorv. Visit Rosenborg Castle (in the park) to see the crown jewels, have lunch at one of the many traditional Danish lunch venus in the area (Told og Snaps on Toldbodgade, Kanalcaféen on Frederiksholms Kanal, Ida Davidsen on Store Kongensgade are places I would recommend), stroll around Nyhavn and its backstreets, walk the Strøget and look at stores.

If you're into art, museums etc. there are many options as well.

If there is something particular you would like to do, now that Tivoli is closed, let me know, and I'll gladly come up with other suggestions.

copenhagen
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary

Actually, Tivoli is open this week due to school holidays. It will be open until and including Oct. 21. Tivoli.dk

From the Marriott, you are very close to Tivoli, Town Hall Square, Central Station, and the Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek art museum. Everything else is walkable, but you might want to take the canal boat from Nyhavn up to see the Mermaid. And at end of the day, maybe hop a train from Osterport or Norreport back to Central Stn. to rest the feet ....

My favorites in Copenhagen:

Glyptoteket

Rosenborg Castle and the crown jewels

Tivoli

Round Tower

Marble Church

Danish Resistance Museum

Canal boat tour

My honorable mentions for Cph:

Carlsberg Brewery

Danish Design Museum

Christiana

Of course there's much more, but with limited time, these are highlights that I usually share with guests when they visit, and they seem to enjoy them very much.

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary

Well, I should have known. Every time I tell someone that Tivoli is closed for the season, there's always something special going on and it turns out it's actually open. Good for you, seeing it's your number one must do.

Other than that, I really suggest you give us some kind of hint of what sort of stuff you would be interested in doing. Theres a million things to do, so it's to know where to start.

Are you looking for: Dining-experiences? Walking routes? Museums? People-watching? Art? Etc?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary

Thanks all for the inputs. Dining out will be an important thing for us. As for museums, I think I/we will skip because of the time constrain.

I am pretty excited about the Tovoli. As I read it, it is a really Danish sort of experience. Very "hygge" as the TimeOut guide puts it.

Shopping will be important. However, I like to get something truly Danish that I will not find back home in California. J Linburg and Orrefore we have back home. I thought about some vases or porcelain things. Any thoughts. Unfortunately at this age of globalization, it is difficult to find something unique. Something truly Scandanivian will be cool.

Anything authentically Danish would be great. Thanks everyone for all the inputs and suggestions.

Scotland
Level Contributor
593 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary

To be honest, most Danish companies, especially the great design companies, are quite global so there's not that much to be found in Copenhagen that you couldn't find abroad.

You might try Royal Copenhagen on the Strøget for ceramics (but make sure they are very carefully packed) or browse through the Magasin du Nord or Ilium for stuff by various Danish designers. There are also lots of neat little stores on the streets in the city centre, though I'm not sure anything there would really stand out as being specifically Danish (at leas to a foreign eye).

The other neat items are the beautiful paper cut ornaments which can be had at Magasin du Nord and elsewhere, though I'm not sure if they're more of a Christmas thing. The rest of the things I would suggest are Christmas items like Danish ornaments & knit socks/mittens and lanterns.

But do be prepared for the prices - shopping in Copenhagen is fun, but not cheap!

kate

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary

Good recommendations from Kate on buying local stuff.

As for eating, if you want to try typical Danish it is usually had for lunch. We are, off course, talking about 'smørrebrød' - rye bread topped with all sorts of meat, vegetable, fish etc.

I would suggest going to one of the three I mentioned above: Told og Snaps on Toldbodgade, Kanalcaféen on Frederiksholms Kanal and Ida Davidsen on Store Kongensgade. The last being the most expensive, the second being my favourite and the first being a solid in between option.

Do try some hering with a glas of snaps. Very good for the system this time of year. Cures everything :-)

As for Tivoli, it is IMO one of those hyped up attractions that actually doesn't dissapoint. As a local, I don't go to often, but is trully a beautiful, magical garden that offers so much more than just borring rides. And right in the middle of the city, where else in the world do you find an amusement park right in the center of the capital?

7. Re: Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 08:22