We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Copenhagen for a weekend

Ireland
Level Contributor
83 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Copenhagen for a weekend

Hi

We are hoping to do a long weekend in Copenhagen in late November? Any ideas where to stay and what to do, only be a two night stay

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Copenhagen for a weekend

Hi

Maybe you could tell us a bit about your preferences. Are you into sport, music, drinking, dining, museums etc.?

It makes it much easier to give a good advice : )

Meningie, Australia
Level Contributor
331 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Copenhagen for a weekend

I really enjoyed a tour of the Carlsberg brewery.

A walk around the hippy commune of Christina is a eye opener.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Copenhagen for a weekend

Hi

When I stay over in Copenhagen I usually stay at CABINN CITY. Cheap, simple and central location.

www.cabinn.com/english/kbh/city/city.html

You can find other hotels here:

http://www.dkhotellist.com/

Hans

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,243 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Copenhagen for a weekend

Ah, I'm going to stay at the Cabinn as well ^_^

I'm going in the beginning of December with some friends and I think spending an afternoon in the brewery sounds just right...

Denmark
Level Contributor
50 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Copenhagen for a weekend

Tivoli is open for their annual Xmas marked and entertainment

The new opera is worth a look (from the outside, and a performance)

Shops will be Xmas decorated

You may even be able to find traditional Danish Xmas food in restaurants, I'm not sure

Enjoy

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
4,038 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Copenhagen for a weekend

Yes I would advise not to miss visiting Tivoli, there's a great atmosphere there and with the early darkness this time of year the illuminations will be be lovely. It's very family orientated so most (but not all) of the rides are quite tame, and plenty of places to eat and drink.

California
Level Contributor
110 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Copenhagen for a weekend

I think that a weekend is the perfect amount of time to spend in Copenhagen...especially in a month like November. Copenhagen is a magical city during the Christmas season, so I would stay near the city center and simply wander, shop, go to cafe's and enjoy the coziness of DK during the "Christmas" months.

cityzen123
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Copenhagen for a weekend

You should try to stay in and around the Tivoli Gardens area. There are lots of nice, reasonably priced hotels based in the area. Hotel Astoria is pretty nice, check it out on Trip Advisor. It's next door to the train station too so it's very handy for getting to and from the airport. If you're staying at or near this hotel, you'll be able to check out the wonderful Christmas markets in the Tivoli Gardens. They're truly magical and well worth a visit after dark, when they're all lit up with fairy lights. On the dfirst day you should definitely take a bus tour. You'll get to see the Little Mermaid statue and the famous Nyhaven harbour. Shopping in Stroget is a must too-the Christmas decorations are great! Very winter wonderland-y!

Mentioned in this post
Tivoli Gardens
Tivoli Gardens
20,163 Reviews
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hotel Astoria
Hotel Astoria
709 Reviews
Copenhagen, Denmark
Bainbridge Island...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Copenhagen for a weekend

My wife and I did this trip last year at this time. We stayed in a hotel on the Vesterbro just SW of the train station/Tivoli. We don't spend much time in the room, so we just looked for quite and clean. We also tend to travel at a fast pace. We walked South to Carlsburg and North to Kastellet. We are not big hiker types, but you would want a good pair of walking shoes. If you don't want to walk so much, buy a day ticket for the hop on hop off tour bus. My suggestion is to spend one day going North to see attractions and shopping districts. Another day to walk down to Carlsburg and then do Tivoli (which could be as short as an hour if it isn't your thing). If you have another day, I'd recommend taking the train to Malmo for the day and walk from the station down to the sauna at Ribersborgs kallbadhus and then while you're nice a toasty, walk back through the museums.

Jeff

Mentioned in this post
Vesterbro
Vesterbro
60 Reviews
Copenhagen, Denmark
10. Re: Copenhagen for a weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 11:35