We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Hotel in Copenhagen

ft lauderdale
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best Hotel in Copenhagen

We are taking a cruise leaving out of Copenhagen at the end of August. We will be staying in Copenhagen for 3 nights prior to our cruise. We are between 2 hotels, the Clarion Mayfair and Bertrams Hotel Guldsmeden. We would prefer a small boutique hotel as opposed to a large hotel. Has anyone stayed at either? Is one location better than the other? Also, neither one has a/c. Should that be a problem at the end of August? One more thing, any suggestions on a day trip from Copenhagen? Thank you.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
326 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Hotel in Copenhagen

It's really hard to say about the AC. Almost no private homes in Denmark have aircondition since it never gets THAT warm. It's mainly up to the design of the building the hotel are in. If it's sweaty hot on your vacation it could be a problem - however it should be enough just to have the curtains drawn when not in the room.

Regarding the hotels i don't have preference for either of them.

Regarding the day trip you could go to Helsingborg. Very nice and old town where you could visit 'Kronborg' - an old castle. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kronborg)

And when you are finishe continue on the 20 minute ferry over to the other side to Helsingborg and visit Sweden now you are here :-)

Trains run all the time from Central station, and ferries at least every 20 minutes. Both around the clock.

Adrian

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Hotel in Copenhagen

Regarding the day trip you could go to Helsingborg. Very nice and old town where you could visit 'Kronborg' - an old castle.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kronborg is in Helsingor/Elsinore.

I would include Frederiksborg Castle in Hillerod and Louisiana Museum of Modern Art in Humlebaek and drop Helsingborg.

Hans

ft lauderdale
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Hotel in Copenhagen

Thanks for the suggestions. As for the hotels, how are the locations for each hotel? Is one better than the other?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Hotel in Copenhagen

Clarion Mayfair is on the edge of the red light district just a few 100's m from the Central Station.

Bertrams Hotel Guldsmeden is further from the city centre located on the busy Vesterbrogade and is the smaller of the 2 hotels.

Hans.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Hotel in Copenhagen

I had a terrible sleep experience due to lack of a/c four years ago when I visited Copenhagen during a time when the temperatures were in the low-80's during the daytime (which I do not consider all that hot), although I stayed at the well-reviewed Admiral Hotel near Nyhavn.

So for my upcoming June visit, I did a lot of research on this issue indicating that there are three centrally-located hotels with what most Americans would consider a/c: The Imperial, The Square Copenhagen and the Marriott. We have booked to stay at The Square.

6. Re: Best Hotel in Copenhagen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 05:17