We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Copenhagen in the evening

Which Copenhagen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
400 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do in Copenhagen in the evening

Hi,

We will arrive in Copenhagen on Aug 27 around 3pm and most likely check in to the hotel no later than 6pm. We will be staying at Ibsens Hotel in Norreport for 2 nights before flying to Sweden. It is unlikely to be tired by the time we check in since we can sleep during the flight and every time we go to Europe adrenaline kicks in and we stay up at least until 10pm the day of arrival. I was wondering what we could do in the evening. We are not into rides, therefore I am not sure Tivoli Gardens is worth a stop, nor interested in bars. Is there a nice walk from the hotel you recommend taking to see the city at night, have dinner (not too fancy, a casual place with a terrace or even a place where you can eat and watch people strolling would do just fine) and get acquainted with the city?

Thank you,

Monica

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in Copenhagen in the evening

Copenhagen is all about strolling around.

From you hotel you can either head into the city center and see some of the famous and touristy sights like Nyhavn and Strøget.

Or you can walk around Nørrebro, where squares like Blaagaards Plads and Sankt Hans Torv has lot's of places for a cup of coffee, a beer and dinner at an affordable price.

About Tivoli - don't confuse it with an action packed amusement park geared towards teenagers.

It's a magical garden right in the city center and best at twilight or after dark - and there's lot's to enjoy other than go on rides. There's music and ballet to be enjoyed every evening. Also plenty of places to sit and people watch over coffee or a beer.

Also the garden has some decent places for dinner - everything from Michelin-stared to fair prices places.

Yes the garden attracts lot's of tourists but also Danes just out for an evening stroll and affirmation that the garden still stands.

Take a look at some of these pictures - and make you own decision.

www.flickr.com/search/?q=tivoli%20copenhagen

P.S. Also some of the rides are more of the couple-type i.e. the ferris weel that offer spectacular views of the city.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
400 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in Copenhagen in the evening

Thank you very much! I think we'll go to Tivoli after all. I was sure it was all about rides and shows geared more towards children and teenagers.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
289 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in Copenhagen in the evening

I would suggest strolling through the Latin Quarter and the side streets off the Stroget, not on the actual Stroget. Viktor Cafe has some outside seating, La Vecchia Signora has outside seating in an adorable courtyard.

Although the area is touristy, I'd also highly recommend walking along the canal at Ny Havn and continuing around to the theatre and the Admiral Hotel with views of the Opera House lit up at night. There are so many places to stop and have a drink along the way, from the bustling Ny Havn to the patio bar at the theatre and even the beach bar further on. And Tony's italian restaurant is nearby, as is Custom House with outside water views.

I'd recommend both of these over Tivoli, its not my favorite thing to do here including the $20 - $25 entry charge based on the time you enter. Its full of kids running around on the rides and there are not that many places to sit and have a drink at all. Most times I'm there we end up at the same cafe because everything else is full, mainly due to the lack of places besides restaurants. But many people love it, its just my opinion.

Enjoy your time here!

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
5,127 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in Copenhagen in the evening

Finally, Gråbrødre Torv square near Strøget and Fiolstræde should also be mentioned. Lots of outdor eating places, sometimes open-air concerts, and pretty surroundings in a car-free environment.

For cultural events etc. in Copenhagen, check out www.kultunaut.dk

Regards,

Joen

Edited: 07 July 2011, 17:21
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
400 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in Copenhagen in the evening

Excellent suggestions for the evening. Thank you so much! If Tivoli is crowded with lots of kids and too busy to enjoy, I am sure we will be much happier going to Latin Quarter and Gråbrødre Torv square. I will also check out the cultural events site, maybe there is a nice show we can go to that evening. I would prefer that over having to deal with noisy teenagers and kids running all over the place.

6. Re: Things to do in Copenhagen in the evening

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 July 2011, 08:05
Jersey City, New...
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do in Copenhagen in the evening

is it safe there for african american women traveling alone

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
5,127 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do in Copenhagen in the evening

Hi,

I haven´t heard of any problems. Tivoli and Copenhagen has become a very cosmopolitan city area with all nationalities represented in the daily city life. Racist or sexist assaults are very rare, but you should of course take general precautions such as looking after your bag etc. to avoid scams.

I´d probably avoid the Red Light District along Istedgade, close to the Central Station, as regards a hotel stay, otherwise you will be fine.

Regards,

Joen

Edited: 23 December 2011, 08:35
London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do in Copenhagen in the evening

hello we are having a 7hrs stop by at copenhagen at 10pm-7am so we wre planning to go the city between those times. is there anything to do?

uk
Level Contributor
3,539 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do in Copenhagen in the evening

If you land at 10pm, it is going to be pushing 11.30pm by the time you make it to the city. This is pretty late at night tbh and your options are pretty much going to be limited to bars and night clubs.