We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July 2012 Scandinavian and Russian capitals adventure

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
18 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
July 2012 Scandinavian and Russian capitals adventure

I'm planning a trip in July 2012 (around 3 wks total) on my own to Copenhagen, Oslo and Norwegian fjords, Stockholm, Helsinki, St. Petersburg and Moscow. For the the last two Russian capitals I will definitely need to connect with a tour or guide of some sort. I was looking for a Scandinavia Forum but, lacking such, I am requesting suggestions regarding my overall itinerary, and specifically recommendations for clean, budget accommodations throughout all the places mentioned. I'd like my own room with bathroom and shower and am open to staying at hostels, pensiones, and/or homes that may provide such. Thanks for your help!

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
5,698 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July 2012 Scandinavian and Russian capitals adventure

Hi,

it´s a very interesting programme, but dense; the big cities ín Russia will probably demand a bit of time to arrive and adjust ... :-).

I´d calculate 3 days as an absolute minimum for Copenhagen, including one day for excursions to selected places in North Zealand.

You might benefit from the Norwegian airlines site especially for cheap flights (www.norwegian.com), also the AirBaltic, SAS and www.momondo.com sites.

Bergen is usually seen as the most spectacular of Norwegian cities and it is closer to the fjords than Oslo. However there is a fine train trip between Oslo and Bergen, with a famous branch off to Flåm, from where there is also a spectacular ferry to Bergen. The Flåm excursion can thus also be made from Bergen only.

Ålesund is another historically loaded town in Norway, with some spectacular and lesser known scenery nearby.

For Copenhagen budget stays, consider sites like www.booking.com , expedia , hostels.com, hotels.com and hotelscombined.com , which have price listing options. Also, B&Bs can be charming and less expensive than hotels. With a bit of preparation, the Scandinavian cities don´t have to be as expensive as their reputation suggest, but Norway will most likely be the most costly part of your trip.

Copenhagen has good and mostly inexpensive connections to all major towns/cities in Scandinavia. If budget is a major consideration, you might go by bus from Helsinki to St. P, or consider Tallinn in stead of Helsinki and go by bus from there - or skip Helsinki/Tallinn overall ... I´d perhaps also consider squeezing in a place in the countryside during the trip, as a contrast to the cities - maybe in the fjord country, or choosing to stay a bit outside one of the cities ... But of course it depends on your taste and preferences :-)

Regards,

Joen

Edited: 02 October 2011, 10:39
Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
18 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July 2012 Scandinavian and Russian capitals adventure

Thanks so much for your prompt and most helpful reply. If I understand you correctly, it might be better for me to go from CPH to Bergen, no? Then I'm in a less megacity environment and can go to one main fjord region. Then Oslo and continue east onto Stockholm. by the time I get to Helsinki (I believe there is an overnight ferry from Stockholm to HEL), I may just spend one day there and take the newly implemented speed train to St. Pete.

I will definitely check into the B&B options listed online as well as printed guidebooks. I will also look at the Norwegian flight options to compare budget/time vs. trains/ferris, though I know I'll take plenty of those. Any specs you can throw my way, again, will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, again!

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
109 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July 2012 Scandinavian and Russian capitals adventure

For a cheap(er) stay in CPH you might wanna check out these hostels

www.danhostel.dk/content/us/hostel_details…

www.generatorhostels.com/en/copenhagen/

Both are located in downtown Copenhagen, close to the attractions, and will probably be the cheapest accommodations you can get here

4. Re: July 2012 Scandinavian and Russian capitals adventure

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 01:22