We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise or not to cruise

Which Copenhagen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise or not to cruise

I will be traveling to Sweden for a wedding in July. Wedding in southern Sweden, so most likely flying into Copenhagen. Crazy the costs for flights!!!! I would like to do more traveling around the area. I've visted much of Sweden years ago, so maybe different countries/places would be great. Thinking about a cruise out of Copenhagen. Any ideas?????

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
14 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise or not to cruise

If the area you want to explore is Denmark, I wouldn’t recommend it. Denmark is much too small to benefit from being experienced from a cruise ship. I think it will be hard to find a cruise with more than two stops in Denmark. Denmark is better explored by car/bike or smaller vessels like sailboats or motor yachts, which can access the numerous smaller ports around Denmark.

If the area you want to explore on the other hand is the larger Scandinavian area the it can be done by cruise. If you have already seen Sweden, you could instead consider travelling along the Atlantic Coast of the Scandinavian Peninsula with all the Norwegian Fjords or you could perhaps explore the Baltic Sea with a cruise from Copenhagen to the Baltics or Russia.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise or not to cruise

We enjoyed a terrific 10-day cruise on Oceania's new build Marina (small ships; port-intensive itinerary; great food) last June which embarked in Copenhagen and traveled to Warnemunde; Ronne (a Danish island), Tallinn, Visby (a Swedish island), Gdansk, Riga, St. Peterburg for two days, Helsinki, and ending in Stockholm. We spent several days in Copenhagen beforehand and then four days in Stockholm afterwards. It's a nice way to explore the Baltics.

We always carefully choose the embarkation and disembarkation ports because we are slow sightseers and yo uften only have ten hours on Oceania's one-day port stops, which is more than most of the larger ship lines. If you decide to cruise, check the times in port very carefully because some cruise lines spend much shorter times in port and more time at sea, making sightseeing very difficult.

Edited: 08 December 2011, 22:46
3. Re: Cruise or not to cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2012, 10:18