We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell Phone.

Which Copenhagen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
dayton, OH
Level Contributor
245 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cell Phone.

I am coming over to Copenhagen for 3 week vacation in the end of June. I was hoping if someone can help me regarding cell phone. I would like to get one from Copenhagen airport which I can use in Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland as going to these places during the trip. Can I get one from airport. Is it okay to buy a phone also along with the sim card or should I get unlocked phone from here. What are the costs? will be using it primarily for emergencies.

Thanks for the help.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
5,207 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell Phone.

I´m not familiar with the buying procedures for foreigners. But if you just want to buy a simple, cheap phone, the supermarkets of Elgiganten and Føtex usually have them, for example. A couple of small shops for electronic goods can be found at the airport too, but they probably not very cheap.

There are those mentioned supermarkets in the Field´s Mall at Ørestad Station not far from the airport, and near the city centre an Elgiganten at 231 Nørrebrogade, and a Føtex at 74 Vesterbrogade.

Price examples: elgiganten.dk/catalog/…mobiltelefoner

(perhaps use Google translate)

Edited: 03 June 2013, 20:19
Level Contributor
440 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell Phone.

Perhaps just download the skype app and use that to make calls? That's what I plan to do. Of course, this will only work when you have access to wi-fi, such as at your hotel, at McDonalds or Starbucks, etc.

Toender, Denmark
Level Contributor
12 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell Phone.

try contacting your cell phone service in the states, and tell them your'e making a trip over here, and you want to change your cell phone plan to have international service for that month. Many in the US have that opportunity, at least the one I have had come visit me, that's what they did, and that was cheaper in the situation. Otherwise I'll just recommend you getting a SIM card when you get here, and be sure that your phone is not SIM locked, and if you need data, you can just use the WIFI spots around town..

hope that gave you a couple of ideas ;)

have a great trip!

uk
Level Contributor
3,557 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell Phone.

Looking into the cost of roaming on your US phone isn't a bad idea.,

If you do buy a sim card in Denmark, it will work in the other countries you mention but you will be roaming internationally so paying international fees

Level Contributor
440 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell Phone.

I don't know who your carrier is, but I have AT&T. Their international plan brings the cost of calling down from $1.50 per minute to $1.00 per minute. Still very expensive, in my book.

dayton, OH
Level Contributor
245 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Cell Phone.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I currently have sprint, and will look into their international plan as well. I had a question, like in US we have no contract monthly unlimited calling/data plans available with some carriers, is that something available in Scandanavia or not? also any SIM/Plan which will work in all these countries without roaming?

Thanks again.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cell Phone.

A SIM card will likely not work in all countries without roaming. Each country has it's own mobile operators.

I also doubt you will find an operator that offers unlimited calling/data, but many packages are quite generous.

Hans

Level Contributor
440 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cell Phone.

I found this article helpful when I was researching this:

huffingtonpost.com/tom-meyers/taking-your-ip…

9. Re: Cell Phone.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2014, 05:17