We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SIXT car rental - be careful

Which Copenhagen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stockholm, Sweden
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
SIXT car rental - be careful

If you rent a car at SIXT at Copenhagen airport, you should be aware that if your flight is delayed and you will miss their opening hours you will not be able to get your car. Should you be able to reach the someone on the phone (spent 30 min in phone cue) after 18 then you can arrange to pick up the keys at an airport hotel. What they don't tell you is that you will have an additional charge of 325 DKK (currently 44 EUR). This is a nice surprise when you are sent the bill after. They will also try and get you to purchase an extra insurance again, even if you are already covered. We had asked for a toddler car seat and knew there would be an extra charge. We did not, however, think that we would have to pull one out of a pile of car seats all just heaped in a very dirty parking garage in the damp and cold, one dirtier and more broken than the next, but what do you do at 1 in the morning?

6 replies to this topic
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
5,109 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SIXT car rental - be careful

I have no personal experience with the company, but it has been the subject of threads here before:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g189541-i218-k5…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189512-i216-k4856…

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SIXT car rental - be careful

All car rentals at CPH work the same way.

Hans

Yeovil
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SIXT car rental - be careful

Sixt Car Rental.

Yes be very careful

I pre-booked a car with Sixt and paid in advance.

When asked if I required extra cover I declined as I have excess insurance already.

I was handed the rental form and told I had already paid and would be upgraded.

Nice so far.

After the rental car had been returned an email pop up with the extra invoice.

The extra payment came straight off my credit card.

Sixt had charged me for the extra insurance that I declined.

Unfortunately there is no way to get the money back.

Sixt do not point out any extra charges at the counter and you feel ripped off.

I have hired many cars in the past and have always been shown if extra charges are to be made.

Next time you travel to Denmark or indeed and destination, take time when booking a car, maybe Sixt seen to provide a good deal but the reality may be different.

If there is another option to move to the next Car Company do so.

Edited: 30 September 2014, 09:33
London
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SIXT car rental - be careful

I was also cheated by Sixt Car (Copenhagen Airport), I got this nice "we have upgraded you for the same price" as soon as I arrived but I was given a defective WV Polo car. I only knew after I left the parking and at the time the office closed. I called the next morning and I discovered that they were aware of a Clutch issue in the car and asked me to bring it back and get another one. I was given a WV Golf this time and it was older but working fine. I did not use the car for more than 40KLM and I returned it in the same shape and status as I received it. The minute I jumped on my plane I received an invoice with more than DKK 4000 for 2 scratches that never happened. So far they don't reply to emails properly and when they do they send template type answers. This is a rip-off company and should be stopped from doing this. I used Hertz, Europe Car and many other companies and never had any similar bad experience. Too bad as Danish business are all honest and provide very good services, this company gives this business a very bad name.

5. Re: SIXT car rental - be careful

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 September 2015, 13:05

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: SIXT car rental - be careful

I had even worse experience with Sixt Copenhagen Airport, it is a dishonest business!

I rented a car for just one day, drove it only on freeway, there was no collision, not even dirt! However, they charged me $1600 damage fee, $400 each because they found 4 scratches from nowhere! I asked them to send me the damage report, the scratches were so tiny that I suspect they had already been there when I picked up the car. And possibly the scratches could always been left on the car so that they could extort every user of the car. Then it came to the insurance issue. Normally, insurance covers the whole car, meaning it covers all the minor damages that happen to the same car. If the policy says e.g. $400 excess, then the maximum you pay for scratches, no matter how many there are, is $400. However, here's the joke, Sixt's policy said $400 excess per damage instead of per car. Meaning I had to pay $400 per scratch, hence $1600 in total for the 4 damages. That was ridiculous, if I crashed the car, they could've asked me to pay $400 per damaged component! And what's the point of having insurance if things work their way! When I argued with them, they blamed me for not reading the policy carefully, I mean, who would notice that the insurance was actually per damage, because from all my previous experience, car insurance always cover per car and that's common sense! Will never ever rent from Sixt again!

Reply to: SIXT car rental - be careful
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted