We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lufthansa or SAS?

Which Copenhagen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boyce, Virginia
Level Contributor
195 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Lufthansa or SAS?

Hi-I have a choice of flying Lufthansa or SAS out of Washington DC to Copenhagen. Normally I love Lufthansa, but SAS has a direct flight. I've never flown them before... does anyone have any opinions? I will be traveling economy... but I could upgrade to an economy plus (I do on United, and I really think it's worth it for me). Not sure if they have this on SAS. The other thing is, I think the lowest SAS fares you only get 50% mileage credit. They are a partner with United, my main FF source.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lufthansa or SAS?

I would opt for the non-stop flight.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,457 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lufthansa or SAS?

You can find out how many points you earn on the Milage Plus-website. There are no 50% milage on any SAS flights, from what I gather there's 100% accrual on all Eco-classes (unless there are som hyper-discounted classes that SAS themselves don't sell).

Earnings with SAS: united.com/CMS/…

Earnings with Lufthansa: united.com/CMS/…

SAS Premium Economy is called SAS Plus on IC-flights (they offer Biz, Plus (Eco+) and Go (Eco)) - sas.no/en/…

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
639 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lufthansa or SAS?

Well, not an easy question. You cannot upgrade SK-flights with UA miles, and neither can you upgrade LH-flight from the cheapest booking classes. However, you can use optiontown to upgrade flights on SK, which sometimes can be rather good value.

Also notice, that there are only limited free beverages on SAS, while Lufthansa will provide you with a free flow of beer, wine etc.

United's plus seats are considered same cabin but with a greater seat pitch, while with SAS it is a separate cabin with a different service concept. Seats are similar to UA's plus, though.

Lastly, I am not a fan of connecting via FRA, so if you should go for the LH option, try to book flights connecting via Munich (MUC).

4. Re: Lufthansa or SAS?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2015, 05:17