We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Review for TA Regulars

Dallas
Level Contributor
91 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Review for TA Regulars

Our group of 3 well traveled adults are venturing to Copenhagen on our next adventure. We have finish reading our books and online resources. Now it is time to check with the real experts on TA for advise and - better yet, a reality check. So - here it goes

COPENHAGEN

Sunrise 6:15 am – Sunset 8:00 pm

-7 hrs Dallas CT, -6 hrs New Jersey ET

Thursday, May 22 (Torsdag)

Airport: Train to Norreport Station (past Kobenhavn H; main train station); walk 10 minutes to Hotel.

Hotel SP34, Copenhagen

Brøchner Hotels A/S

Sankt Peders Strædet 34

1453 København K

Tel: +45 3313 3000

www.brochner-hotels.dk

Tivoli Gardens (COPENHAGEN PASS)

95kr, 1100 – 2200 daily, www.tivoli.dk

DINNER: Nimb Bar & Grill, http://bargrill.nimb.dk/en/nimb/ or Nimb Brasserie http://brasserie.nimb.dk/en/

Friday, May 23 (Fredag)

09:05 S-tog Train (40 minutes): Copenhagen to Hillerod (line E) (Bus to castle #301 or #302)

Frederiksborg Castle, 60 kr, (Daily) (COPENHAGEN CARD) www.visitnordsjaelland.com ,

12:30 S-tog Train: Hillerod (Track 16. 30 minutes) to Helsingor (15 min walk to castle)

LUNCH: Cafe Momo & Bistro, http://cafemomo.dk/velkommen , Sct. Olai Gade 29A, 3000 Helsingør OR Skip sit down and grab a bite at Louisiana Museum

Kronborg Castle, 70 kr, 1000 – 1700, (COPENHAGEN CARD) (Daily), www.kronborgcastle.com, (50 minutes from Copenhagen 3/hr), 15 minute walk from train station.

S-tog Train: Helsingor to Humlebaek

Louisiana, 95 kr, 1100 hrs - 2200 hrs (Closed Monday),  (COPENHAGEN CARD) www.louisiana.dk , 10 minute walk

S-tog Train: Humlebaek to Copenhagen

DRINKS: Meat Packing District

DINNER: Kødbyens Fiskebar, Flæsketorvet 100
1711 København V, http://fiskebaren.dk/en/

Saturday, May 24 (Lørdag)

National Museum, 1000-1700, FREE (Closed Monday), www.natmus.dk

LUNCH:

Christianborg Palace, 1000-1700, 110 kr, (COPENHAGEN CARD) www.christiansborgslot.dk 

Thorvaldesen's Museum, 1000-1700, 40 kr(Closed Monday), (COPENHAGEN CARD),  www.thorvaldesensmuseum.dk

DINNER: Pluto, Borergade 16, http://www.restaurantpluto.dk/en/frontpage/ ,

Sunday, May 25 (Søndag)

Rosenborg Castle and Treasury, www.dkks.dk

10 am – 4 pm, 90 kr, (COPENHAGEN CARD)

National Gallery of Denmark, 1000-1700, Closed Monday, Free (110 dk special exhibits), www.smk.dk/en

LUNCH - Ma Poule in Torvehallerne (1100-1700); Duck Sandwich, http://torvehallernekbh.dk/staderne

David’s Collection, 1000-1700, Closed Monday, free, www.davidmus.dk

Marmorkirken (Marble Church and Frederikskirken) Church, 1200-1700, Free

DINNER: Tight, Hyskenstraede 10, http://www.tight-cph.dk,

Monday, May 26 (Mandag)

Train (Track 9-10): Copenhagen to Roskilde (30 minutes, Ringsted, Nykobing, Lindholm), walk to Cathedral

Roskilde Cathedral, www.roskildeomkirke.dk, 0900-1700, UNESCO site, (COPENHAGEN CARD), 60 kr

Viking Ship Museum, www.vikingeskibsmuseet.dk, 1000-1700, 115 kr, English Tours @ 1200/1500,

Bus harbor to Vindeboer 12 (#216 or #607), 7 minutes

Train: Roskilde to Copenhagen

LUNCH: Modern American Diner, http://www.madcph.dk ,

Christianhavn - Christiania 

Shopping - City Center

DINNER: Un Mercato, Torvehallerne, http://www.unmercato.dk ,

Tuesday, May 27 (Tirsdag)

Train Norreport Station to Airport

Depart

Ballerup, Denmark
Level Contributor
930 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Review for TA Regulars

That's a very ambitious itinerary, especially Friday the 23rd looks like a particularly busy day.

I usually recommend people to take it slow with the castles in Hillerod and Helsingor. It's certainly doable to do both in the same day, but it'll be pretty hectic and on top of that you want to do Louisiana too. I assume you're all quite energetic and active people, you'll need to be :)

In Hillerod I'd actually recommend walking from the station to the castle, it's quite a nice walk.

Saturday and Sunday looks good.

As for Monday, I personally don't like the Christiania area very much, it can be pretty dubious. I think the reviews here on TA are quite accurate, so as long as you know what you're getting into, it's all good. Make sure you don't miss the Church of Our Savior, particularly the spiral tower, it's possibly the best view of the city.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Review for TA Regulars

It seems like you did quite good research. That being said, I'd like to come with my personal opinions:

Your itinirary is very ambitious, seems like there is no time left to really enjoy the places, but rather running around from one place to another.

To me it seems you won't be seing and "feeling" much of Copenhagen. Don't know if you've been here before, or if you are very interested in art and history, but it's like you will be running from one museum to another. Copenhagen (especially in that time of the year) is a city that you should experience by walking through it's many beautiful streets and along the canals rather than walking around in the museums.

Frederiksborg + Kronborg + Louisiana is almost not doable in one day. I'd recommend you to drop either Kronborg or Louisiana (I'd go for Frederiksborg og Louisiana). You definitely have to take a walk from Hillerød station to the castle, there is nothing like that moment when the castle suddenly pops up behind a certain corner of the walking street in Hillerød. You will love it. Make sure to visit the castle, the chruch and the amazing garden behind the castle (it takes at least 4 hours). Kronborg is less impressive, but it's Hamlet's :)

Some of your restaurant choices are great (Pluto, Fiskebaren), that is why it surprises me you pick Tight. I never really understood how it got on the top of TA list. It's just an ordinary and quite boring cafe, not even a restaurant. There are many other far better places in Copenhagen. Ma Poule's duck sandwich is great and heavy. But since you are here and the duck sandwich you can get elsewhere, I'd recommend you to consider Grød (also in Torvehallerne) - their dishes are amazing and very unique. Combine it with the cakes from Rosa and the coffee from The Coffee Collective (all in Torve). And buy your wine/beer at Petit Pate. Modern American Diner is maybe unfortunate choice, compering to other good places (why not try some good Danish lunch at Schönemann or Aamanns?). If you want to eat a good steak, then rather go for MASH?

Your choice of the hotel is good!

I agree with Jacob. I'd drop Christiania and rather spend some time in Christianshavn and go to the church.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
5,574 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Review for TA Regulars

If you decide for Christiania, head away from the entrance, along the paths to the North, parallel to the moats and Refshalevej, for some nice and innovative architecture in quite idyllic surroundings. Also cross the wooden bridge across the moat, and visit the gallery hall near the entrance and the handicraft shop in the small house by the water. Such places illustrate what the original dream of Christiania is/was about.

Photos are allowed AWAY from the so-called Pusher Street, but NOT in (or near) it.

Edited: 08 April 2014, 22:27
Dallas
Level Contributor
91 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Review for TA Regulars

Jacob - Thank you for the feedback regarding our itinerary. I think we will limit our time at Kronberg Castle to a walk around the outside grounds. We will definitely add the Church of Our Savior to our plans. I think we may skip Chistiania. Do you have any other suggestions to add to Monday?

Dallas
Level Contributor
91 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Review for TA Regulars

Heroneya - Thanks for the feedback. I agree that we should skip Kronberg and spend time at Louisiana. I think we will take your and Jacob's advise on skipping Christiania. We will definitely add the Church of Our Savior. I will give you restaurant recommendations a good look. Our choices were somewhat of a grab bag and I really appreciate the guidance. We will drop Tight and look to pick up Mash.

Our itineraries are always over ambitious on paper. We do slow down (adjust and miss) as we enjoy the city and get distracted. I will be sure to file a trip report on TA so you can read about our adventure. If you have other suggestions we welcome them!

Dallas
Level Contributor
91 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Review for TA Regulars

Joen - Thanks for the advise on enjoying Christiania. Based on feedback from Heroneya and Jacob, I think we may skip visiting the neighborhood and enjoy the Church of Our Savior instead. If you have other thoughts or recommendations we would welcome your feedback.

uk
Level Contributor
3,633 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Review for TA Regulars

I don't think I'd ever recommend MASH to a Texan, the steaks are good but nothing compared to what you'd get at home, especially for the price point.

How about trying new Nordic style food? I can recommend both Bror and Höst.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Review for TA Regulars

Höst is even an extremely beautiful place!

I didn't know you were from Texas. If so, I wouldn't go for steaks at all anywhere in Copenhagen. :).

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
98 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary Review for TA Regulars

Host looks gorgeous . How is the food?

Ballerup, Denmark
Level Contributor
930 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary Review for TA Regulars

The food is really really good. It's part of Cofoco (Copenhagen Food Consulting), they run several great restaurants and have over 300 employees, they definitely know what they're doing.

I don't think I've had a disappointing meal at a Cofoco restaurant yet.