We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Six day tourist budget.

Glasgow, UK
Level Contributor
29 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Six day tourist budget.

Hi everyone!

I'm booked in for a trip to Copenhagen from July 9th - 15th and am starting to put together my budget for the trip.

I was looking at getting the Copenhagen card, as I'd like to do a lot of touristy things during my stay, and it includes transport etc, so as far as I see it, it'll effectively eliminate a lot of additional costs, so that the only thing I'll really have to think about is food. Is the Copenhagen card worth it for what I want out of it?

Now, I'm not looking for gourmet cuisine here, I'm fairly happy with whatever the cheapest option is (I'm a human dustbin pretty much) for lunch and dinner, plus the hostel I'm staying at offers free breakfasts. How much would I be looking to budget per day for that kind of thing?

I do understand that Copenhagen is incredibly expensive; I'm under no illusions!

Cheers!

Copenhagen Free Walking Tours
City Tours, Walking Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Copenhagen
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours
Segway Tours Copenhagen
City Tours, Segway Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Running Copenhagen
Sightseeing Tours, Running Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Ballerup, Denmark
Level Contributor
941 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Six day tourist budget.

The Copenhagen Card is usually only worth it if you intend to visit many of the sites included and use public transport quite extensively, but then it's quite good too. Especially if you have plans on taking daytrips to Roskilde, Hillerød and/or Helsingør (Elsinore), then the savings on transport start to add up.

As for food, I'd say about 200 DKK (~22 £) would be comfortable per day (if you're getting that free breakfast), if you don't mind just buying a pizza or falafel for dinner and maybe going to supermarkets to buy stuff to make your own lunch. A pizza in one of the countless pizzarias is about 50-70 DKK.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
5,780 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Six day tourist budget.

Some cheap coffee break options (plain coffee DKK 10-17):

- Hotel Danmark, Vester Voldgade (nice sitting outside in the afternoon)

- Cafe Paludan, Fiolstræde (sitting outside too)

- Studenterhusets Cafe, by the Round Tower, in Købmagergade

- Cafe Nutid, Nørregade

Cheap eating:

- Cafe Paludan, Fiolstræde. Above average quality for that price level.

- Ankara, Krystalgade (buffet, Turkish)

- Dalle Valle, Fiolstræde (buffet)

- Ellas, Fiolstræde (small buffet, Greek)

- Riz-Raz, Store Kannikestræde (buffet)

Out on Nørrebrogade, some ethnic places along Assistens Cemetery have filling falafels etc. starting from as low as DKK 15,-, yet almost qualifying as a full meal.

Edited: 06 May 2014, 19:01
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Six day tourist budget.

Good cheap lunch at Dyrehaven cafe.

Foderbrettet, Vesterbrogade

Pasha, Enghavevej

District Tonkin, Gl Kongevej

Pizza+sandwich from Amarone, Gothersgade

Edited: 07 May 2014, 13:48
Leixlip, Ireland
Level Contributor
167 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Six day tourist budget.

i was in copenhagen from 17th - 21st April, spent a fortune we found you could not do anything for cheap, even the hotdogs are expensive!

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
5,780 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Six day tourist budget.

I disagree with the post above ... but one has to look for the less expensive places.

Lunch is easier to find inexpensively, even if compared to other European cities. Here´s the menu of one of the nice places (English at the bottom of the page http://www.paludan-cafe.dk/Paludan.pdf )

Free sights in the city:

- National Museum

- Statens Museum for Kunst art museum

- David Collection

- city strolling, Christiania, city parks, churches, Torvehallerne food market, galleries, Town Hall, etc.

Free on Sundays: Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek (recommended)

Free on Wednesdays: Thorvaldsens Museum, Den Hirschsprungske Samling

Inexpensive, interesting sights:

- Tower of Vor Frelsers Kirke

- Canal tours with Nettobådene

- Round Tower

Supermarkets:

avoid "Irma" supermarkets if budget-minded

Edited: 13 May 2014, 13:02
Leixlip, Ireland
Level Contributor
167 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Six day tourist budget.

well i have been to alot of cities & copenhagen was the most expensive, beautiful city though so i'm not really complaining, maybe we just went to the wrong places.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
5,780 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Six day tourist budget.

As a side remark, Norway beats all as regards general expensiveness, IMO !

Leixlip, Ireland
Level Contributor
167 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Six day tourist budget.

Yes joen.dk i did hear that, unless i win the lotto i wont be visiting :-)

Ballerup, Denmark
Level Contributor
941 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Six day tourist budget.

The good thing about being a tourist in Copenhagen is that once you get back home, you'll appreciate how cheap everything is!

We have to live with high prices all the time :)

I agree with joen though, it IS possible to get by on a budget in Copenhagen, but it's definitely a bigger challenge than in most other European cities.

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Six day tourist budget.

I loved Copenhagen! I rented a bicycle and rode all over the city for 5 days. As far as food goes. I found it best to eat a late breakfast at the hotel and an early buffet somewhere. About 40 bucks or less for food that way. The best things about Copenhagen are free! A funny side note, my relitives from Norway come down to Denmark to shop cause it's cheaper!