We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Around the Sound w/ Handicapped Traveler

Which Copenhagen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
Level Contributor
68 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Around the Sound w/ Handicapped Traveler

Hello, I will be in Copenhagen for a few days and want to travel up to Hamlet's Castle, take the ferry over to Sweden, train down to Malmo (I don't think we will worry about stopping in Lund) and then back over the bridge to CPH. The level of difficulty is increased because my mom is handicapped and while she can walk, she really can't go more than a couple of blocks without taking a break. Stairs are also really hard.

I'm trying to find specific information on distances and can't seem to find it. Does the train from Copenhagen let off very close to the Hamlet Castle? Then how far is it to the ferry, etc. Do they have cabs if needed? Same questions the rest of the way, from the ferry dock in Sweden is it far to the train to Malmo? I'm just trying to see if this will be feasible for us.

We will also have my two year old daughter who usually rides in a stroller. I'm not sure if I should even take the stroller or just try to have her walk, I know Europe has tons of cobblestones, etc.

One final question, do these ferries/trains run pretty often? I'm not sure about the schedule and I'm hoping you don't have to wait an hour for the train if you miss one, etc.

Illinois
Level Contributor
68 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Around the Sound w/ Handicapped Traveler

I guess also, how to get to the train into Malmo to the train across the bridge - is that the same train?

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,341 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Around the Sound w/ Handicapped Traveler

It's about 850 meters from the train station/ferry docks at Helsingor to Kronborg Slot (Kronborg Castle aka Elsinore Castle aka Hamlet's Castle).

Helsingborg Train Station is more or less right next door to the ferries.

The ferries and trains runn all the time. The only time you'd have to wait an hour after just missing one is during the middle of the night. During the day there's a departure every 10-20 minutes.

Most trains from Helsingborg towards Malmo do continue onto Copenhagen, they are clearly labelled.

Some towns in Europe have a lot of cobblestones others don't, most have some. Most people use a stroller for their kids here as well, so it's not impossible to use.

Illinois
Level Contributor
68 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Around the Sound w/ Handicapped Traveler

Thanks!

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
5,109 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Around the Sound w/ Handicapped Traveler

Cobblestone streets in Denmark usually have less bumpy sidewalks too.

There´s a website mostly in Danish specifying details of some attractions for people with mobility difficulties or handicaps: www.godadgang.dk Some English explanation of the logos here: http://godadgang.dk/gb/main.asp ; also, use Google translate.

If checking this concerning Kronborg,

godadgang.dk/dk/steder/oversted.asp?id=4937

it seems that the interior not so easy for people with walking problems. However the castle entrance grounds for instance also include a row of handicraft galleries etc. worth checking out http://kronborggallerierne.dk/

The Louisiana Modern Art Museum in Humlebæk is on the other hand very functional (lifts etc., areas of respite, good-quality cafe, gardens etc.). godadgang.dk/dk/steder/oversted.asp?id=6411

5. Re: Around the Sound w/ Handicapped Traveler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 05:15