We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in Copenhagen and Denmark

Which Copenhagen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
alabama
Level Contributor
541 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
4 days in Copenhagen and Denmark

Hi,

My husband and I are planning to visit and tour Copenhagen and Denmark in Sept 13 to 16. Our last stop is in Norway, either Kristiansand, or Fredrikstad. Not sure what is the most economical and fast way to get into Denmark. We may or may not travel by the Eurail Scandinavia pass but we will be using the local transport (boat/bus/train). And we would like to visit Arhus, Odense, Aero, Aeroskboing, Roskilde and Copenhagen. I will be grateful and thankful to you to help me to plan out this itinerary. Your comments and recommendations are appreciated . Pls be informed that this tour in Denmark will end at Copenhagen, as we will have to move down to Sweden.

Thank you so much.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
5,333 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in Copenhagen and Denmark

You can use the website www.rejseplanen.dk for public transport schedules in Denmark. But your speed will be practically record-breaking if you want to have a glimpse of all the places you mention in only 4 days. Ferry connections from Norway will be too slow, given the number of days.

In theory, you could go to Århus by plane, visit one sight there (perhaps you arethinking of Den Gamle By?), then go to Ærø, stay there for 2 nights, go via Odense and Roskilde (including very brief stops) to Copenhagen and stay there 2 nights. But: utterly packed ;-)

Also you´d have to travel light, since luggage deposit facilities are quite spartan and unmanned in many towns.

Better to exclude some of the places, IMHO, for instance by going directly to Copenhagen & make a selective excursion from there.

Edited: 27 May 2014, 16:20
alabama
Level Contributor
541 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in Copenhagen and Denmark

Joen, thanks for the reply and suggestions. I thought that the travelling time is just like one or 2 hours away from each other and if I we will to travel with the Eurail Scan pass, then it would be more flexible and cost saving, to see as much as we could. A quick glimpse of the place. Are the flights in Denmark, Sweden and Norway reliable (time wise). ? Could u pls tell me what is the best place to see and visit, since I only got 4 or maybe 5 days in Denmark and Copenhagen? Do u suggest that when I arrive in Denmark, I should purchase a 24 or 48 hours to move around there ! Any best and cheap place to eat . ? Sorry just too many things in my mind and not sure where to go and what to see in a budget manner. Could u plse tell me more about the orange ticket (train). I wonder is it the same as those minipris in Norway. ? Could u direct me the link for the orange ticket ? Thanks.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
5,333 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in Copenhagen and Denmark

Flights are generally reliable in Scandnavia, delays are few and short.

For transport within Denmark and Copenhagen, there are various options, depending on your exact route plans. But if focusing on say the Copenhagen region, public transport isn´t particularly expensive, and there are passes. The inner city is also very walkable.

For moving around freely by rail in the whole of Denmark, a Eurail pass is the only option.

Orange tickets are mainly for longer distances, especially crossing the Great Belt between Funen and Sealand, and between major towns only. To my knowledge, the website is only available in Danish (perhaps try Google Translate) dsb.dk/find-produkter-og-services/…

What to see partly depends on your interest, and the exact number of days/nights you will have available. ... but I´d concentrate on Copenhagen and excursioning from there, maybe-maybe with a night in another place as a contrast, if you feel like it, say in a smaller place.

Århus is mainly associated with "Den Gamle By" old town open-air museum and "Aros" modern art museum, and Odense with a couple of Hans Christian Andersen memorial museums. These two cities don´t reach the overall level of interest and variety as Copenhagen and its region, however.

Edited: 27 May 2014, 20:07
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
5,333 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in Copenhagen and Denmark

For instance, Northern Zealand will provide a nice excursion from Copenhagen - for example to Frilandsmuseet (for a glimpse of old, rural Denmark), then to Frederiksborg Castle in Hillerød, maybe with a late afternoon/early evening in Helsingør/Elsinore´s nice old town too, and an (outside) look of Kronborg/Hamlet´s Castle there.

Ærø and Ærøskøbing is a nice glimpse of rural Denmark, but public transport to get there is around 4 hours, and it´s too long for a daily excursion, IMO. The same applies to the island of Bornholm´s northern villages (Allinge-Sandvig or Gudhjem).

Roskilde is mainly known for the cathedral and the Viking Ship museum.

Edited: 27 May 2014, 20:24
alabama
Level Contributor
541 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days in Copenhagen and Denmark

Joen, thanks again for all the data you are feeding me. Appreciated. Could u pls help me with this :

We will be taking a train from Stavanger to Kristiansand to have a quick glimpse of this area, then take a ferry (colorline) from Kristiansand to Hirtshals , tentatively we are planning to take 16.30pm ferry and arriving at Hirtshals at 19.45pm on the 12th Sept (friday). So from here I am lost, how do I get out from the ferry terminal to take a train, maybe heading to Odense or Copenhagen? I will most likely travel with the Eurail Scandinavia pass, as this will be the most economical way to hop in and out of the train. May I ask , is there a different between Copenhagen and Kobenhaven ? Are you familiar with the Kristiansand area, where do i take a ferry from there? FYI, from Copenhagen we will travel down to Malmo and other part of the Sweden and final stop will be back to Oslo and catch a flight out from there to home. .Thank you so much.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
5,333 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 days in Copenhagen and Denmark

København is just the Danish name for Copenhagen.

Yes, there are trains from Hirtshals to Aarhus, Odense and Copenhagen. Use the mentioned www.rejseplanen.dk for public transport schedules.

But arriving at 19:45 in Hirtshals is not very convenient: you will need some margin to get to the train station there too, and expected departure should probably not be earlier than 21:00. Hirtshals itself is not interesting.

Aarhus: a train departure 21:36 would take you to an arrival in Aarhus at 00.56 (as of current May schedules, September isn´t loaded yet). From Aarhus to Copenhagen later on, it is 3 1/2 hours by train.

Skagen is a nice area much closer to Hirtshals, but the (current) train departure at 22.36 will take you there at 00:10 only

If you insist on that Hirtshals arrival, two nights in Skagen and then a morning train to Copenhagen and staying there onwards could be an option. IMO, However, this would require 2 nights in Skagen and 3 nights in Copenhagen, since the train trip Skagen - Copenhagen is 6 1/2 hours and you would need to relax upon that journey, plus that Copenhagen has plenty to see.

My overall suggestion would be to change the ferry connection schedules, or - better, IMO - to go by plane to Denmark/Copenhagen.

Stavanger is nice, by the way! But I don´t know the details concerning the Kristiansand ferry.

Edited: 29 May 2014, 05:08
alabama
Level Contributor
541 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 days in Copenhagen and Denmark

Hi Joen, Noted and thank you so much for your precious input. So now I know why I could not get any result for the train schedule from Hirtshals to Copenhagen. Looks like the Helsingborg (Sweden) to Helsingor (Denmark) by ferry is just solely catered for vehicles only and no passenger on foot. I am trying to find ways to make full use of my eurail scan pass as much as I could. I may also try to research the other alternatives : to continue my sightseeing from Kristiansand and to Sweden first and then come back down to Copenhagen an Denmark and go back to Oslo to catch my flight home.

Edited: 29 May 2014, 13:38
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 days in Copenhagen and Denmark

Passengers on foot can also use the ferries from Helsingor to Helsingborg.

Hans

alabama
Level Contributor
541 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 days in Copenhagen and Denmark

Thanks Han for your info.. but when i tried to plug in some data ...it kept telling me to click the type of vehicle... ??? appreciated !

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 days in Copenhagen and Denmark

Foot passengers don't have to book in advance.

Hans