We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage storage during layover: airport or central station?

Heraklion, Greece
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Luggage storage during layover: airport or central station?

Hi all,

Some background info: Family of 4 (kids 8 and 11yo) arriving from London Gatwick at 13:35 departing for Heraklion Crete Greece on 22:40 (beginning of August).

My enquiry is related to our hand luggage that we would like to store before going the city centre. The two choices are:

-P4 lockers at the airport and then metro to Kongens Nytorv or

-train to central station and luggage storage there

I have read in this forum that airport lockers are often full and also at the airport site it says they only accept exact change at the moment- no credit cards. (Does anybody know if this is up to date?) The negatives regarding going to central station as I see it is using the train rather than the metro which may be a bit more difficult to navigate (is this true?) and not so frequent compared to the metro. Also arriving to Central station will mean that we have to make our way (probably on foot) to Nyhavn canal which is our main point of interest (and then to the little mermaid). How is the area between Central station and Nyhavn canal in terms of shops, nice building etc?

Finally do you think we can manage to buy tickets, shop and have something to eat using only our VISA credit cards or must we get some Krone?

Thank you in advance for any help

Mary

Mentioned in this post
Nyhavn
Nyhavn
22,485 Reviews
Copenhagen, Denmark
Bornholm, Denmark
Level Contributor
4 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage storage during layover: airport or central station?

The airport lockers are few, and I have personally only once been lucky enough to find a free locker. You can use credit cards, but it does tend to be "out of work"

I would take the train to the mainstation, trains leaves from the airport about 6 times an hour. I'm not sure if you Can use creditcards to pay for storage of your luggage at the main station, but there are ATMs nearby. From the mainstation you Can take bus 1A to Kongens Nytorv, the bus leaves about every 5 minuts on weekdays, during the Day. Children under the age of 12 travels for free in Company with a paying adult. Tickets must be bought before entering the train/bus

Most places will accept Visa.

Enjoy you brief stay

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage storage during layover: airport or central station?

Tickets must be bought before entering the train/bus

------------------

Since when did that apply to buses?

Hans

Edited: 19 June 2014, 08:34
Bornholm, Denmark
Level Contributor
4 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage storage during layover: airport or central station?

Sorry, should have specified. You can pay for your busfare when entering the bus, but only with cash. Tickets purchased from the Tickets vending machines found at the stations, can be paid for by creditcards, incl Visa

Mia

Heraklion, Greece
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage storage during layover: airport or central station?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Looking forward to our short visit!

5. Re: Luggage storage during layover: airport or central station?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2015, 05:16