We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice/feedback regarding attractions

Berlin, Germany
5 posts
Save Topic
advice/feedback regarding attractions

I did a search here before I posted, but some attractions are apparently not popular (?). As an example, I didn’t get any search results for the zoological museum. So I wanted to ask for advice/feedback. As I have plenty of time (2 weeks), I don’t need to cram in a lot in a few days. Some days are still unplanned.

At the moment, I want to see and do following things. Would you recommend all mentioned places and attractions? Should I add something, or delete something from my list?

Botanical Garden

Canal tour

Geological museum

Kongens Have

Little Mermaid

Museum of Copenhagen

National Museum

Ny Carlsbergs Glypotek

Round Tower

The National Gallery of Denmark (Statens Museum for Kunst)

The Royal Danish Naval Museum

Zoological Museum

Is it worth a visit to another park, like Faelledparken and/or Orstedtsparken? What about Experimentarium City, Den blå planet and Tycho Brahe Planetarium?

I know there are several other attractions. But I am not sure I want to visit Copenhagen zoo. I also think it’s enough with one viewing point, so I just picked one (Round Tower) I am no fan beer in general, so a visit to Carlsbergs museum would be a bad idea.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice/feedback regarding attractions

You should visit Carlsberg area. Not for the sake of beer, but because it is a hidden pearl in Copenhagen. You din't have to visit the brewery, but take a walk around the Elephant port, you can google it and see how amazing it is). I live next to it and I am so happy about it. On the same visit you can take to Sondermarken (maybe visit Cisternerne if open) and from there cross the street towards Frederiksberg Castle and take a walk through the park, then walk through Frederiksberg Allee to Vaernedamsve, where you can have a coffee break at Rist or Granola (it is a really cosy street)j. From there find the lakes and walk to Queen Louise Bridge and finish the trip with a late lunch in Torvehallerne.

Edited: 23 June 2014, 14:32
Ballerup, Denmark
Level Contributor
941 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice/feedback regarding attractions

Personally, I'd skip the Little Mermaid. I know it's an iconic statue, but it ticks all the boxes for a cliché tourist attraction. I like to compare it to the Manneken Pis in Brussels. You see it and think... Ok, so that's it...

To get the best viewing point, you should go to the Church of Our Saviour instead of the Roundtower (although going up the inside spiral in the Roundtower is quite unique). I would do both instead of picking one though, during your 2 weeks you'll most likely pass the Roundtower a few times anyway.

I would also definitely add the Zoological Museum as you've done. They have some pretty awesome whale skeletons and other fossils and a special exhibit from Russia of a mammoth family (that runs until August 1). One practical thing to note about the museum is that it has merged with the Botanical Museum and the Geological Museum and is now known as The Natural History Museum of Denmark (location is still the same though).

I also assume you're not asking about attractions outside of Copenhagen because you've already decided to visit them? Like Frederiksborg Castle in Hillerød, Kronborg Castle in Helsingør and Roskilde for the Cathedral and Viking ship museum?

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
6,073 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice/feedback regarding attractions

Nice suggestion from Heroneya, IMO; the Frederiksberg district is indeed nice, and its Gammel Kongevej street is interesting for shopping too. There´s also the small literary museum "Bakkehusmuseet" near Carlsberg, and "De Små Haver", traditional inns with outdoor serving, along Pile Allé, plus the "Storm P museum", dedicated to a cartoonist, by the entrance to the gardens.

Concerning the Little Mermaid, I wouldn´t skip it, since it´s so close to Kastellet, which is worth checking out.

The Museum of Copenhagen is not particularly interesting, IMO. Whereas the David Colelction and Thorvaldsens Museum (free on Wednesdays) and Hirschsprungs Samling (also free on a weekly day, I believe Thursdays (?)) have high-quality Collections and good interiors.

I´d also pop in at Christiania, focusing on the galleries and the Northern areas along the moats / Refshalevej, more idyllic than the entrance section.

There´s a lot more to explore in Copenhagen and its region, depending on your interests & if you have the time for it ... ;-).

Berlin, Germany
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: advice/feedback regarding attractions

I am not asking about day trips, because I have already decided to visit some destinations. As I would love to visit Helsingør (and not only the castle), Lousiana art museum in Humlebaek, Roskilde, Hillerød and Fredensborg. I am also considering a fishing village such as Dragor or a fishing town such as Hornbæk and/or Gilleleje. Some places will be combined (like Hillerø and Fredensborg).As most day trips have something specific which I find interesting (like a castle or art museum), I don't really need any advice (so far).

But I will spend a week or so in Copenhagen itself, which means I have a lot of time to explore the city. Anyway, thanks for your input so far. I will definitely do some of them (like both Round Tower and Church of Our Saviour, and visit the Carlsberg area).

5. Re: advice/feedback regarding attractions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2015, 06:16