We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Rovaniemi to Kiruna

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
5 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling from Rovaniemi to Kiruna

I am travelling from Rovaniemi to Kiruna in December, and I'm intending to go by bus via Harpanda. I have a few questions:

1. I cannot seem to find the location of all the bus station on google maps. Can anyone please assist on where exactly the bus stations are (in Kiruna and Roavaniemi)?

2. Do I have to pre-book the buses? I can't seem to find online bus tickets.

3. Is this the fastest way from Rovaniemi to Kiruna by land?

Skutskar, Sweden
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Rovaniemi to Kiruna

Hi

This seems to be the bus station in Rovaniemi:

Paste this in googlemaps. Check on Finland forum for confirmation.

In Kiruna paste "Kiruna busstation" and there you are!

There will be no crowds for the buses, you are in sparsley populated areas!

You can book for the trip on the Finnish side

http://www.matkahuolto.fi/en/

But you need to call the service number.

If you make the 06.00 departure from Rovaniemi you vill be in Haparanda 08.30 The bus for Kiruna leaves at 10.40 so time for an early lunch there.

You will reach Kiruna at 16.35. Total travel time 10.35.

This is the only way by land if you dont have your own car. You can fly with changes in Helsinki and Stockholm in under 8 hours but very expensive!

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
5 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Rovaniemi to Kiruna

There is time difference if I change buses right? So technically if I arrive at 8:30, This is only 7:30 Swedish time?

Is this correct?

I see 2 bus routes for the 6am service. It does not seem to go direct from Rovaniemi to Harpanda. Should I be stopping at Tornio and walk over to Harparanda (Earlier bus stops at Tornio), but I'm not sure how long the walk is.

What is the difference between the 5:25 route, and the 6am route.

The 5:25 and arrives at Tornio by 7:25 is local Rovaniemi--Tornio - Kemi

The 6:00 is express Rovaniemi - Oulu, Kemin Teknillinen Oppilaitos (7:46-7:57) , local Oulu - Tornio--Haaparanta. - I can't figure out this bus route.

Skutskar, Sweden
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Rovaniemi to Kiruna

Im not local so just trying to help out.

The route i got leaving 06.00 was with a change in Kemi and then all the way to Haparanda on the Swedish side. Yes Finnish time is one hour ahead of Sweden.

I used the trip planner on http://www.matkahuolto.fi/en/

4. Re: Travelling from Rovaniemi to Kiruna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 04:42