We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A student with 5 days in Sweden - what to do?

Dublin, Ohio
3 posts
Save Topic
A student with 5 days in Sweden - what to do?

Hey everyone, I'm a student going to Sweden for 5 full days in August, and am wondering how to spend my time. My flights are in and out of Stockholm so I was thinking of spending two days there, then maybe heading to Gothenburg for a day to do the Southern Archipelago boat tour and then maybe heading down to Copenhagen for two days. But maybe I should stay in Sweden and see a bit more of the country? I'd be up for seeing anything, though I suppose I might like to go to places that aren't going to be absolutely crawling with tourists, I don't mind going off the beaten track a bit. Would love to hear any advice.

Ps as I'm a student I'm kind of on a budget, I know Scandanavia is really expensive but I have wanted to go there for some time!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
940 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A student with 5 days in Sweden - what to do?

5 days will blow by faster than you can imagine. I would advise you to scale back your ambitions for the area, given such a short time that you have there. Will you really have seen a place if you are constantly feeling that the next train is looming just a few hours away? With 5 days, you would have 1 in Stockholm, 1 in Göteborg, and 1 in Copenhagen (unless you fly, which can be expensive), and the rest would be spent getting to here or there.

I think a better option for you would be to decide what you want to see most and where that is. If you really want to do the archipelago tour, then do two days in Stockholm and two in Göteborg (SSGGS) and do it via train. If you really want to see Copenhagen, do two days there and fly there (SSCCS). Or spend all five days in Stockholm and really get to see the city, including a rip to the archipelago there. (SSAAS). Or Oslo, which would follow the same basic pattern. You will have a less stressful time and experience more, even if you see less.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
438 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A student with 5 days in Sweden - what to do?

I would recommend an overnight stay on Gotland, instead of Gothenburg or Copenhagen.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A student with 5 days in Sweden - what to do?

I agree - you should stay in and around Stockholm. Save Copenhagen and Gothenburg for another trip because there is so much to see and do in this city.

You could take part in my research! (I'm a masters student just here for the summer);

'In Stockholm this summer? Take part in my research into everyday use of maps on mobiles for 300 SEK gift! It will involve 2 or 3 hours exploring the city using maps on a smart phone. Txt or call +46 (0)7606 46873'

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
438 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A student with 5 days in Sweden - what to do?

Some free-to-watch outdoor locations, within range of public transport

* Viking settlements at Adelsö and Birka

* Drottningholm

* Skogskyrkogården/The Woodland Cemetery

5. Re: A student with 5 days in Sweden - what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2013, 07:16