Thank you for taking the time to look up this post. I'd really appreciate some help in shedding light on a few grey areas of an itinerary for a future trip covering Norway, Sweden and Finland. My friend and I are planning to start in Bergen, move across Norway to Oslo, then on to Stockholm, up to Northern Sweden, across to Northern Finland, and back down to Helsinki. We're building in stops along the way so we can enjoy the many delights of the countries ie. ice swimming, dog sledding, Northern Lights etc. As this trip is more than a year away, we will have the advantage of booking train/bus tickets very much in advance to cut costs.
We're looking to bed down in hostels where possible to help keep costs manageable, and we're looking to make this an 18-20 day round trip. We both love the cold and winter wilderness so are looking to go during February. A time which I've been told is punishingly cold, but we enjoy that ;)
Our itinerary is as follows -
- Fly from London to Bergen
- 2 nights in Bergen staying in a hostel
- Train from Bergen to Oslo (via The Bergen Railway)
- 2 nights in Oslo staying in a hostel
- Train from Oslo to Stockholm
- 2 nights in Stockholm staying in a hostel
- Night train from Stockholm to Murjek
- From Murjek, bus connection to Jokkmokk
- 3 nights in Jokkmokk staying at a campsite (Activities: Dog Sledding, Northern Lights)
- Travel to Rovaniemi (Crossing the Sweden/Finland Border)
- 3 nights in Rovaniemi staying at a campsite (Snowmobiling, fishing, trekking, Northern Lights)
- Train from Rovaniemi to Kemi
- 2 nights in Kemi staying at a campsite (Sampo Icebreaker)
- Bus from Kemi to Oulu
- 2 nights in Oulu staying at a campsite (Ice Swimming)
- Train from Oulu to Helsinki
- 2 nights in Helsinki staying in a hostel
- Fly from Helsinki back to London
1. Is the above itinerary a feasible, achievable plan within the 18-20 day period? If not, are there any tweaks that can be made to make it so?
2. After researching, I couldn't seem to find a transportation service that operates from Jokkmokk to Rovaniemi. I'm probably missing something! Is there a way of traveling to Rovaniemi from Jokkmokk without driving your own vehicle?
3. After all plane/train/bus/activities costs are paid for, we planned to take £1500 spending/surviving money to live on whilst on the trip to cover accommodation/food/drink. Is this too little?
Would be very grateful for any help from the community here
Hopefully the info could help others plan a Norway/Sweden/Finland adventure!