We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Norway, Sweden and Finland Itinerary - Some help needed :)

London
2 posts
Save Topic
Norway, Sweden and Finland Itinerary - Some help needed :)

Hi everyone

Thank you for taking the time to look up this post. I'd really appreciate some help in shedding light on a few grey areas of an itinerary for a future trip covering Norway, Sweden and Finland. My friend and I are planning to start in Bergen, move across Norway to Oslo, then on to Stockholm, up to Northern Sweden, across to Northern Finland, and back down to Helsinki. We're building in stops along the way so we can enjoy the many delights of the countries ie. ice swimming, dog sledding, Northern Lights etc. As this trip is more than a year away, we will have the advantage of booking train/bus tickets very much in advance to cut costs.

We're looking to bed down in hostels where possible to help keep costs manageable, and we're looking to make this an 18-20 day round trip. We both love the cold and winter wilderness so are looking to go during February. A time which I've been told is punishingly cold, but we enjoy that ;)

Our itinerary is as follows -

- Fly from London to Bergen

- 2 nights in Bergen staying in a hostel

- Train from Bergen to Oslo (via The Bergen Railway)

- 2 nights in Oslo staying in a hostel

- Train from Oslo to Stockholm

- 2 nights in Stockholm staying in a hostel

- Night train from Stockholm to Murjek

- From Murjek, bus connection to Jokkmokk

- 3 nights in Jokkmokk staying at a campsite (Activities: Dog Sledding, Northern Lights)

- Travel to Rovaniemi (Crossing the Sweden/Finland Border)

- 3 nights in Rovaniemi staying at a campsite (Snowmobiling, fishing, trekking, Northern Lights)

- Train from Rovaniemi to Kemi

- 2 nights in Kemi staying at a campsite (Sampo Icebreaker)

- Bus from Kemi to Oulu

- 2 nights in Oulu staying at a campsite (Ice Swimming)

- Train from Oulu to Helsinki

- 2 nights in Helsinki staying in a hostel

- Fly from Helsinki back to London

Questions...

1. Is the above itinerary a feasible, achievable plan within the 18-20 day period? If not, are there any tweaks that can be made to make it so?

2. After researching, I couldn't seem to find a transportation service that operates from Jokkmokk to Rovaniemi. I'm probably missing something! Is there a way of traveling to Rovaniemi from Jokkmokk without driving your own vehicle?

3. After all plane/train/bus/activities costs are paid for, we planned to take £1500 spending/surviving money to live on whilst on the trip to cover accommodation/food/drink. Is this too little?

Would be very grateful for any help from the community here

Hopefully the info could help others plan a Norway/Sweden/Finland adventure!

Many thanks

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
438 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Norway, Sweden and Finland Itinerary - Some help needed :)

That looks like an ambitious plan, maybe too extensive.

First: What season do you consider? The Nordic cities are best experienced at summer. Maybe you should make two visits to Scandinavia instead; a summer tour to the cities, and a winter tour to the north.

Second: The weakest link seems to be your proposed journey from Jokkmokk to Rovaniemi. There is hardly any public transport across the Swedish-Finnish border, and driving this distance during winter is not advisable to visitors. You should choose either northern Sweden or northern Finland, not both.

London
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Norway, Sweden and Finland Itinerary - Some help needed :)

Hi ToreHGK

Many thanks for your help, much appreciated. We were planning on going in February of 2015. So in winter to experience the north in all it's snowy glory. But yes I totally agree - both a winter and summer trip is a great idea. It seems that it's a vastly different experience, with different things to do in both winter and summer.

Concerning the crossover to Rovaniemi from Jokkmokk - Ahh I see. This bit seems tricky. Do you know if heading north back into Norway, across, and back down into Finland is a possible option? Do transport links run via this route maybe?

Many thanks again!

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
438 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Norway, Sweden and Finland Itinerary - Some help needed :)

Since flights between Britain and the Nordic cities are faster and more frequent than transport between the countries in the far north, I would recommend flying to Bergen, Oslo, Stockholm or Helsinki for some city-life, and then going on to a snow resort in the respective country. Then you will not need to waste time or money on long transfers.

Norway is possibly the most beautiful country, but one of the world's most expensive, especially for dining, drinking, accommodation and fuel.

I would recommend flying to Stockholm, and taking a plane or train to Kiruna; a rather unusual city, with the Jukkasjärvi Ice Hotel, a space centre, and good chances to see the Northern Lights.

See also the Wikivoyage guide for winter in the Nordic countries: …wikivoyage.org/wiki/Winter_in_the_Nordic_co…

Edited: 27 July 2013, 16:06
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Norway, Sweden and Finland Itinerary - Some help needed :)

Check out http://packershack.com It's a hostel comparison site.

5. Re: Norway, Sweden and Finland Itinerary - Some help needed :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2014, 05:17