We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Lights Chase photos Sept./Oct. 2013

Florida
Level Contributor
460 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Northern Lights Chase photos Sept./Oct. 2013

This was an exhausting trip, Arctic Scandinavia in October is a cloudy, overcast region with pockets of clear skies that you have to drive to on a daily basis. We had crappy luck at the start of the trip, and due to a bad decision missed the after effects of a CME, BUT on the final, supposedly overcast night in all 3 countries, in the Bjorkliden, Sweden area, a CME hit, a hole opened up over our cabin, and what a show! Those photos are the ones with every color imaginable in them. Saved the entire trip.

Arctic Sweden locations: Porjus, Kiruna, Abisko, Bjorkliden.

Enjoy:

http://bit.ly/1b2YCjJ

Mjolby, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern Lights Chase photos Sept./Oct. 2013

Wow! Thanks for sharing! The Northern Lights are truly amazing and so worth chasing :-)

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1,468 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern Lights Chase photos Sept./Oct. 2013

Amazing! My bucket list. By the way, is October the best time to view the Aurora Borelis? I only know you need a dark pitch cloudless night, preferably cold wintry nights. I always thought only in winter only one can view them. Can we see them in Stockholm, Uppsala? Or is it only at the arctic region?

Edited: 24 October 2013, 16:23
Mjolby, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern Lights Chase photos Sept./Oct. 2013

As stated in your other thread:

You usually need to go far up north to see the lights. Once in a while they are visible down south as well but these occasions are very rare.

October is not the best month in my opinion. It's autumn and often very cloudy.

My favourite month for the Northern Lights is March, usually better weather and not so cloudy.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1,468 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Northern Lights Chase photos Sept./Oct. 2013

Thanks J_a70 for your input. I always thought autumn will be sunny so the skies will be clear. Apparently i am wrong

Florida
Level Contributor
460 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Northern Lights Chase photos Sept./Oct. 2013

Having spent almost 4 weeks chasing the nights on our own in Iceland and Arctic Scandinavia, your biggest problem will be the weather, namely cloudy and overcast skies = almost zero chance to see the aurora. Usually there are pockets/regions where there are clear skies but you have to travel to them stay up all night, rinse and repeat, it is exhausting to say the least. If you have a short window, less than a week, then I HIGHLY suggest a guide for best chances. Is it as special as stepping out of a cabin you found and rented in the middle of no where and see amazing streaks of color across the sky then run back inside when your freezing lol? No. You will be with a bus load of other people, but nonetheless, you will have better chances with a guide who knows the area. The aurora is a whole lot of luck and clear skies. Also amazing displays are not the norm, prepare yourself as all you might see is a faint grey cloud across the sky. Your camera however will make that faint grey cloud look pretty darn cool. Good luck.

Also agree autumn is NOT the best time, I would also suggest March around the new moon.

6. Re: Northern Lights Chase photos Sept./Oct. 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2014, 05:21