We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling by train from Norway to Sweden

Heerhugowaard, The...
1 post
Save Topic
traveling by train from Norway to Sweden

Hi everyone,

I'm planning on traveling through Scandinavia this summer with an interrail card. I would like to travel from Bodø in Norway to Luleå in Sweden. I read somewhere that there is a train connection between Narvik and Kiruna, but I can't find any timetables or prices of this connection. Does anyone have tips for traveling from the north of Norway to the north of Sweden by train? And if there is a connection between Narvik and Kiruna, do I have to pay for this train trip, even though I have an interrail pass? And where can I find the timetables?

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Sweden
Sweden
Europe
Kiruna
Kiruna
Norrbotten County, Sweden
Kiruna, Sweden
Level Contributor
362 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling by train from Norway to Sweden

The timetable for Narvik - Kiruna is here: tidtabell.resplus.se/tidtabell/30_tag30.pdf

You can book the tickets here: www.sj.se/start/startpage/index.form?l=en

I dont know anything about Interrail but I'm pretty sure it works on that route.

Mentioned in this post
Kiruna
Kiruna
Norrbotten County, Sweden
Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,953 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling by train from Norway to Sweden

Information on seat reservation for passholders with SJ are here: www.sj.se/sj/jsp/polopoly.jsp…

On long distance trains in Norway seat reservation is always compulsory (50/90 NOK) - and done at the train station.

To get from Bodo to Narvik you need to take a bus (www.177nordland.no/index.php…) - this is not covered by any pass. A single adult ticket costs 280 NOK (plus 36 NOK for the ferry ticket) from what I can gather.

Before comitting to buying a pass do the math if it pays off for you. Check prices on the rail operatiors site for correct prices. In Norway and Sweden discounted tickets are released approx 90 days in advance and in Denmark 2 months. Prices in Norway start at 249 NOK, in Sweden 195 SEK and in Denmark from 149 DKK (129 DKK on selected journeys) - these tickets always include seat reservation.

For trains in Norway: https://www.nsb.no/en/

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Sweden
Sweden
Europe
Denmark
Denmark
Europe
3. Re: traveling by train from Norway to Sweden

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2015, 06:20