We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Young Adult Female Single Traveler - NO CLUE WHERE TO BEGIN

Palmer...
Level Contributor
29 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Young Adult Female Single Traveler - NO CLUE WHERE TO BEGIN

My 21 y/o daughter who, believe it or not, is NOT internet-savvy, has asked for my help with making travel arrangements for her to visit Sweden this summer. She has NO clue where to begin, what region she wants to visit, etc. So...here I am.

Her budget is approx $2,500. I found flights to Stockholm begin at around $1,000. Is Stockholm the only major/best value airport for her to fly into from Massachusetts?

She loves/lives/breathes music. She is particularly interested in Swedish bands.

She will be travelling alone.

She is not travel-savvy, either. Our recent visit to St. Croix, USVI, was the farthest she's ever gone, and it was with family - all 5 of us.

She is VERY intelligent/street smart/polite/open-minded - but values her privacy (not sure if hostels would work for her, unless private rooms were available)

She is VEGAN

She is outdoorsy - hiking and kayaking are her two favorite outdoor activities

She enjoys meeting people, but treasures alone time - would enjoy a tour or two, but not a rigid schedule of guided sight-seeing.

Any thoughts?

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,705 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Young Adult Female Single Traveler - NO CLUE WHERE TO BEGIN

If you can get her intro JFK Airport the Scandinavian LCC Norwegian flies to Stockholm (plus Copenhagen and Oslo) from there. They often don't show up on search sites, you need to visit their homepage - www.norwegian.com - prices can starts as low as US$500 (but you pay extra for luggage, credit card payment, food, drink etc etc).

Plenty of private rooms in hotels as well, but often with shared bathrooms.

Plenty of Vegan option in Stockholm. Just do a search for "Vegan Stockholm" and plenty of results will appear. This site aims to have a complete coverage over vegan places and places with vegan options - http://veganistan.se/stockholm (only in Swedish, but run it through an online translator).

Lots of outdoorsy things to do in Stockholm, www.visitstockholm.com/en/To-Do/Activities/

She could also travel up to Are for a taste of mountain hiking - http://www.are360.com/en/To-do/Summer/

Also check the webpages of some of the bands she likes and see if there are any concerts somewhere in Sweden while she plans to be there.

Lund, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Norrkoping
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Young Adult Female Single Traveler - NO CLUE WHERE TO BEGIN

Maybe a music festival would be something of interest? Depending on taste of music and the time she's coming, we might be able to recommend something nice. This is one list of festivals (use Google Translate and make sure to check only "Swedish" – "Svenska", not "Foreign" – "Utländska" festivals)

Also, if traveling alone, maybe she should try to get in touch in some way with somebody sharing her interests here – a lot of the nice things with Swedish summer is easier to access visiting someone with a cabin ...

Midsummer celebrations could also be fun to see/participate in.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Young Adult Female Single Traveler - NO CLUE WHERE TO BEGIN

Stockholm Arlanda is the biggest airport in Sweden, yes. Depending on where you live, I think the closest international airports might be Logan and Newark?

UA and SAS (Scandinavian Airlines) fly directly from Newark to Arlanda.

From Logan there is at least Icelandair with a stop in Reykjavik (I think it doesn’t cost any extra to spend a couple of days in Iceland, it is definitely an interesting place to visit so worth to consider) or British Airways with a stop at Heathrow terminal 5. (For the British Airways flights, it’s wise to compare prices between AA and BA. They are codeshare partners and sell exactly the same flights, but sometimes the other is much cheaper. Regardless of whom you buy the tickets from, it’s good to check which airline is actually flying the route, because American Airlines operated flights arrive at terminal 3 in Heathrow, whereas BA uses the terminal 5 and it takes over an hour to switch terminals as they are on different sides of the airport.)

I wouldn’t book Norwegian for a long haul if she’s not experienced traveller, they’ve just started their long haul operations and there have been problems with the aircraft, buying meals on board etc. They are not in any alliance and they don’t fly every day, so if there are any problems, it’s really difficult to re-route. On short haul they are really good, especially for one-way city hopping.

If you are willing to search more, she could also fly to Copenhagen, the capital of Denmark, and see the sights there and continue with a train or SAS/Norwegian to Stockholm. But I would think about the easiness of travelling too, not just the price tag. Direct flights from Newark would mean she’d get a good night sleep and wouldn’t have to wander around foreign airports.

Sweden (just like Iceland or Denmark) is really safe for a single female and everybody speaks good English. It might be a good idea to bring a friend or try to get into contact with the locals beforehand. If she’s not into hostels, getting to know people can be difficult.

The hostels vary quite a lot, others do have private bathrooms. Omena hotel is the one of the cheapest hotels but often fully booked. Scandic chain is rather plain business hotel chain around Sweden, but it's usually cheap, clean and they have a very good breakfast buffet included in the price.

Credit cards are widely accepted method of paying, so no need to bring large amount of cash. It’s also the cheapest way to “change” money: just use ATM’s- the credit card companies have the best rates (just check what your bank is charging for withdrawals abroad). Visa and Mastercard are the most common cards in Europe, and they always come with a microchip and PIN. It’s not always possible to pay with the American type of magnetic stripe cards (especially ticket machines and such won’t take them) so if your bank is offering alternatives, it’s worth considering.

For cheaper calls and mobile data this site offers good information: http://prepaidwithdata.wikia.com/wiki/Sweden

Swedish Lapland with the midnight sun might be an interesting experience? http://swedishlapland.org.uk/

If she’s into music, ticnet has a good listing and is also the official seller of many tickets: www.ticnet.se/…

If she’s interested in the midsummer parties, there are at least two places suitable for a tourist, a castle near Gothenburg: tjoloholm.se/in-english/… and Skansen in Stockholm: http://www.skansen.se/en/kategori/english

The Midsummer this year is on Friday 20th June.

Palmer...
Level Contributor
29 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Young Adult Female Single Traveler - NO CLUE WHERE TO BEGIN

I can't thank you all enough - this is a wonderful bit of info to get us started! She definitely wants to visit during either midsummer celebration or she had her eye on the 3rd weekend in July (I guess she knows of some sort of festival during that time).

I don't think she is opposed to sharing bathroom facilities, just sharing sleeping quarters. I'll check out the options and see what I can see. Bottom line is she would rather pay a little more for lodging in exchange for privacy, and skimp elsewhere. She also was curious about camping.

After discussing last night, she feels that the Stockholm area is likely where she should make home base, so there's a start!

August: the music she likes is by a band called Markandeya Collective, a spin-off from Kultiration - if any of that means anything to you!!

I have my work cut out for me, thanks all!

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
370 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Young Adult Female Single Traveler - NO CLUE WHERE TO BEGIN

Uppsala has a reggae festival that is quite large. furuvikreggaefestival.se/om-festivalen-meny/… Stockholm Pride is the end of July, with lots of free venues, then the culture fest is around the 15th

Uppsala is a University town, and cheaper to stay than Stockholm, with a big music scene, and huge chunks of Swedish history happened in Uppsala . There is a commuter train that runs from Uppsala to Stockholm, take just under an hour. Make sure she brings her student ID, that will save her a lot of money, there are many student discounts.

Lund, Sweden
Level Contributor
244 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Young Adult Female Single Traveler - NO CLUE WHERE TO BEGIN

If she is into camping it is worth pointing out that you are allowed to camp for one night anywhere in Sweden without the landowner's specific permission, outside of peoples gardens and not on a farmer's field and such obvious exceptions. Anywhere in the woods etc anyway.

The condition is that you leave the place as you found it, you only leave footprints and only take photographs, don't make fires.

7. Re: Young Adult Female Single Traveler - NO CLUE WHERE TO BEGIN

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2015, 06:17