We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe for two women to drive long distances?

Davis, California
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Safe for two women to drive long distances?

My sister and I (were in our 30's) are going to be spending some time in Stockholm but want to take some road trips further north (Are/Ostersund). I know there is a train, but we really like stopping at small towns and getting a feel for the area. I am curious as to the cell coverage as we get further from Stockholm and if this is just a crazy idea.

Thanks,

Stockholm
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
541 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe for two women to drive long distances?

Sounds like a great idea. It is safe and the cell coverage is rather good as long as you are not really out in the sticks. If you go during the period October - April you will need to plan for winter weather though, it can get rather cold. When do you plan to go?

Davis, California
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe for two women to drive long distances?

Plan to go soon! End of Aug. Its a last min decision. We love wildlife and the outdoors do we really want to get out of the city for a bit and see nature. I choose Are because it seemed as far north as feasible for us. Are there any really great mountains/wildlife areas closer to Stockholm? My sister is doing research at the university so it is our home base for the trip.

Stockholm, Sweden
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe for two women to drive long distances?

Sweden is very safe, sane gun laws and treating drug use as a mental illness instead of a crime are two reasons that violent crime is very low. Although you are at risk of having your bike nicked. ( I've had 3 taken in 5 years.

Skutskar, Sweden
Level Contributor
2,228 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe for two women to drive long distances?

The mountains starts in Sälen area some 5 hours drive from Stockholm.

And continues all the way up to the very north.

Popular areas south of Åre is: Sälen, Grövelsjön and Funäsdalen.

Dont rent the smallest car, the risk of close encounter with moose/elk and raindeer is not to be forgotten!

I´d say its a great idea!

Lund, Sweden
Level Contributor
207 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe for two women to drive long distances?

Even though AndersE is correct in stating that there are other places a bit further south, I would still say that Åre is a very good option. The roads to get there are better and the difference in distance is not very great. some 650 km to Åre (via Sundsvall) rather than some 500 km to Grövelsjön.

As for safety I would say that is perfectly safe, at least from the point of human interaction. Wildlife, elks in particular, might stray onto the road. The risk is greatest at dusk and dawn. You will not encounter reindeer as far south as Östersund/Åre.

Sweden
Level Contributor
86 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe for two women to drive long distances?

There are definitly reindeer in Härjedalen, south of Åre. In summer they are in the mountains, but in the wintertime they are down in the forest and sometimes on the road.

7. Re: Safe for two women to drive long distances?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 06:17