We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern light trips

London, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Northern light trips

Hi All

I am going to Kiruna & Abisko in 2 weeks, and I see there are various evening tours to search for the lights. Is this recommendable? if I stay at the tourist station in Abisko, can I just see it from there or do you need to go to high place up the lift or in the wild to see it? Tips for not too expensive activities will be appreciated.

Thanks

4 replies to this topic
Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern light trips

You do not need to go high up to see the lights.

The difference between stayin gput and going on a tour is that the tour will drive away from setlements to get allow you to see the lights better (light pollution will reduce the experience) and will also drive in seearch of clearer skies if it's cloduy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern light trips

Thank you Whisky Traveller. It seems that I'll have to wait untill a day or two before to see whether I need a tour. I saw quite a few of them advertised in Tromso, but none in Abisko ( only dogsled tours, so driving to find them) Do you know of any companies that to this around Abisko?

Thanks!

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern light trips

Don't know anything about Abisko. Just that it's a very small place (population of 156 in 2011), where as Tromso is a proper town - therefore much more to offer.

For what's on offer in Abisko: http://bit.ly/WyvJr7

Skutskar, Sweden
Level Contributor
2,229 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Northern light trips

There was aurora in Stockholm/Uppsala last night!

Reply to: Northern light trips
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Norrbotten County