We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kiruna in December?

London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Kiruna in December?

Hi!

I have 3 nights booked in Kiruna from the 16th till the 19th December at the end of this year and would very much appreciate your help with some things.

My doubts are:

1 - According to your experience (and the last years winter weather patterns in Kiruna), will the rivers and lakes be already frozen so you can experience a snowmobile or dogsled tour along every path, or December is too early to be absolutely sure of it and only January will provide that certainty?

2 - Will this time of the year be "difficult" to deal with regarding booking snowmobile and dogsled tours (and doing them) as all things can be "jam packed" with tourists and their families enjoying Christmas Holidays season? Will things in town and with tours be more "calm" after December, or is it pretty much the same?

3- I notice a significant increase of some hotel prices in January compared to December. Is it because December is not such a good month to be in Kiruna and hotels are trying to tempt customers with lower prices, or is there some other reason?

Thanks so much in advance!

Atlanta, Georgia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Kiruna in December?

Hello! I am in the process of planning our trip in December 2014. Can you share how you are getting to Kiruna? I'm having a bit of difficulty finding a way there without going from Stockholm. (We will be traveling from Atlanta, Ga.) Are there other cities with direct flights, or trains, to Kiruna? Also, the train schedules and prices are difficult for me to figure out.

Thanks!

Maureen

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,654 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kiruna in December?

Kiruna itself isn't the most popular destination since the town hasn't much to offer - it's a mining town with a population of 18.000. So number of connections to other places is severely limited, there are some seasonal charters (mainly for the Ice Hotel in Jukkasjarvi and/or Abisko) from Copenhagen, Tokyo, London, Leeds and Manchester), but schedules traffic to Kiruna only exists from Stockholm, Gallivare, Umea and Lulea.

Previous years can never signal what the weather will be this year. December can be too early for safely crossing rivers and lakes, one never knows. Early December is more risky.

Late December is so close to Christmas that the number of (local) travellers tend to be reduced in this part of the world so you can get som great deals on hotels. People tend to stay home to prepare Christmas instead of travelling - this also goes for business travellers.

While there are some international visitors looking for a snowy Christmas nothing is jam packed during this time as locals start to migrate back home for Christmas. A time of relaxation and spending time with family.

Mjolby, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kiruna in December?

1. Very hard to predict what the weather will be for next winter. This winter was exceptionally mild but the next one might be very hard. You'll never know. Rivers take longer time to freeze up compared to lakes but if you're on a tour your guide will know what's safe or not. Usually a fair amount of snow around so no problems for tours as such in general.

2. As pointed out, late December will be quite calm so you could probably get fairly good deals and not that jam packed. The "rush" or peak more or less starts in January, mainly because of the completion of the Ice Hotel.

I suggest that you contact the the tour companies you find interesting and drop them an e-mail just to be sure. Usually the close over Christmas, roughly December 23-25 but some might close for a longer period of time.

3. Again, January is the start for the peak season up there. The Ice Hotel is usually fully completed and that will generate bigger crowds. January to March is also a pretty good time for the Northern Lights which also will generate more traffic to the area.

4. Re: Kiruna in December?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2015, 06:17