We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ice Hotel (Sweden) in January and wedding

Cambridge
1 post
Save Topic
Ice Hotel (Sweden) in January and wedding

Hi

I am planning on getting married at the Ice Hotel in January 07 and wondered if anyone can tell me what the weather is like there mid jan. Is it dark all day? Mid Jan is cheaper at the hotel to which I thought "great!", then thought "why?"! Has anyone seen the Northern Lights in January or is it best to wait until spring?

Also, I read somewhere that the inside of the hotel is still under construction in January - has anyone experienced this?

Thanks for any help or advice on Ice Hotel in Jan or any advice on marrying there!

Jo

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
671 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ice Hotel (Sweden) in January and wedding

Hi vertygo,

We were at the Ice Hotel on January 15th. It wasn't dark per se, but very grey, like the sun is almost about to set. In fact, the last day of the trip, they were having a celebration in Jukkasjärvi to commemorate the first day the sun had "risen" since last autumn. It wasn't much - for a few minutes a tiny tip of sun was seen over the horizon, then it was gone. Your eyes will need to adjust, let's say that.

I think a word that would accurately describe the weather in January is COLD. We were told we hit a heat wave when it was a whopping high temperature of -8°C (18°F). Apparently the week before, the high temperature was -30°C (-22°F). ( !!!!!!!!!!!! )

We didn't get to see the Northern Lights at all during our stay because it was too cloudy (sad). Apparently they do exist at that time though.

Also when we were there, the hotel was about 75% complete - still under construction. The Ice Chapel, where you'll get married, was finished, as were about 75% of the rooms and ice beds, and the ice bar. However, the ice cinema was still under construction and there was work being done throughout the hotel. They said that it had got started a lot later than normal that year, though, because they had a much warmer than normal November.

I hope this helps - if you have any other questions, just let me know!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
276 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ice Hotel (Sweden) in January and wedding

Hi

We were there 2 years ago at the end of January & the hotel was complete when we were there, including the bar, theatre & chapel though there's constant maintenance going on all the time. Doesn't the hotel start to melt about March time?

It was fairly dusky all day & we saw a hint of the Northern Lights though that's very weather dependant.

We did see a wedding while we were there, the chapel is beautiful & the couple spent their wedding night in an ice suite as part of the wedding package. They certainly enjoyed their day. I do remember the bride saying finding a suitable wedding dress (she wore a white full length gown) had been a nightmare.

Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ice Hotel (Sweden) in January and wedding

Hi

We got married at the Ice Hotel last March and it was wonderful. Have you booked direct through the wedding co-ordinator or through a travel agent? I wore a strapless (!!) wedding dress with fur cape, thermals and white furry snowboots and hand warmers tucked in all sorts of places! The wedding is conducted by the priests from Kiruna (a father and daughter) The daughter speaks English and conducts the ceremony in English, but with her father I think you need a translator. You can take your own vows and music (we didn't know this) or Anna can sing you in and out - she has a beautiful voice. I would definitely recommend booking their professional photographer - we were sent a cd of 322 fantastic photos!

We were lucky and saw the Northern Lights whilst snowmobiling on the eve of our wedding but I believe there was not much activity last year.

Sarah

Oxford, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ice Hotel (Sweden) in January and wedding

In Jan., it is very cold, so dress very warmly. It is dark most of the day. You sometimes can see the Northern Lights in Jan. but it is never guaranteed.

The entire hotel is finished and opens in early Dec.

See the following website for details, rates, etc.: http://www.icehotel.com/Winter/

I recommend taking the snowmobile one way from Kiruna Airport to the Ice Hotel. It takes about 2 1/2 hours and is great fun.

Ken Sanford

Frequent visitor to Sweden, and planning a visit to the Ice Hotel in Jan. 2008

london
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ice Hotel (Sweden) in January and wedding

Hi there...

My friend plans to marry here in Feb 2009.

Any tips on where to get a suitable and tasteful wedding dress?

any tips at all?

It looks truly amazing.

Thanks,

bridesmaid no.2.

6. Re: Ice Hotel (Sweden) in January and wedding

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2009, 14:47
7. Re: Ice Hotel (Sweden) in January and wedding

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 05:24