We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for some advice on a scenic day drive from Lund

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
545 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for some advice on a scenic day drive from Lund

We will be staying just outside Lund for a week, from the 21st to the 28th of August. We will have our own car, but will be trying to use public transport to get to some of the bigger towns and cities, such as Malmo, and are also planning a day in Copenhagen by train. We'd like, though, to include at least one day's driving trip through the countryside, to try to get a good feel for 'Sweden in miniature'. Can anyone suggest a round trip, starting and finishing in Lund, which would give us a flavour of some typical and attractive Swedish landscapes? Inland or coast - we don't mind; maybe we'll try to fit in both during our week's stay.

5 replies to this topic
Stockholm
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
527 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for some advice on a scenic day drive from Lund

I would recommend going southeast to Ystad, an interesting medieval town with old houses and a big brick monastery. It has long beautiful beaches. Further east you have Kåseberga and Ale stenar, a Swedish mini Stonehenge (simpler design).

Going further you reach the area Österlen with Glimmingehus, a unique small medieval castle in three floors. Simrishamn or Kivik completes the trip, there is a lovely national park in Stenshuvud nearby.

Return inland to see more of the landscape. This is really a part of Sweden that is excellent for a day trip.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
545 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for some advice on a scenic day drive from Lund

Many thanks for those suggestions. I think we will probably make Ystad a separate trip, as my partner is addicted to all the various Scandinavian TV crime dramas, particularly the Wallander series, so I guess a visit there will be more or less compulsory. I like the look of Simrishamn and the nearby National Park, and on the Virtual Tourist website there are more small towns and villages close by which look worth visiting as well. The distances involved don't seem excessive, so we'll just follow our instincts and see where we end up.

Sweden
Level Contributor
187 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for some advice on a scenic day drive from Lund

If you interested in an outdoor art museum this might be an option.http://www.wanas.se/english/Visit/GETTINGHERE.aspx

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
545 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for some advice on a scenic day drive from Lund

Just to let you know that we thoroughly enjoyed our week in southern Sweden. Our base, just outside Lund, was comfortable and ideally located. We did trips by rail to Malmo, Helsingborg (and went across to Helsingor for a quick look at Hamlet's castle - on a very squally and wet day, unfortunately), and Copenhagen, all of which we liked. We did Ugurd's suggested drive more or less in reverse; heading to Kivik initially, then to Stenshuvud National Park, Simrishamn (delightful), Brantevik and Skillinge, returning via the outskirts of Ystad; then the following day drove to Ystad for a good look around - and yes, we both thought it was a lovely town - going on to Kaseberga and Ales Stenar. I would have liked to get as far as the Bohuslan coast, but it was just a bit too far for a relaxed day trip, given all the driving we had to get to Sweden, so maybe that's for a future visit?

Lund, Sweden
Level Contributor
197 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for some advice on a scenic day drive from Lund

Thanks for the feed back! Always nice to hear how the vacation really was and that some tips that we can give here came to good use.

Reply to: Looking for some advice on a scenic day drive from Lund
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Skane County