We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unsafe areas?

Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
340 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Unsafe areas?

I have noticed several news article about violence in Malmo. Are there areas that I should avoid after dark, or before I guess, or places I should discourage my teen daughter from going near if she is alone?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
946 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unsafe areas?

None of the places that you are likely to encounter as a tourist, and even then not really. The usual cautions apply: Keep situational awareness, be cautious around drunk people (especially groups), avoid being out alone, and use your common sense. :)

Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
340 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unsafe areas?

Good to know. We are going to be there for quite some time so won't be sticking to tourist areas. Hopefully, good sense will be enough. Thanks.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
946 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unsafe areas?

Sweden overall is extremely safe. The biggest threat to your safety is very drunk people, very late at night or the occasional kids who like to make a ruckus.

Much of the "rise of crime" in Sweden is actually due to the fact that Swedes are good record keepers and more stuff is actually reported to the police. Bicycles are stolen a lot. In Malmö, Rosengård is an area that is very insular and has a lower level of socioeconomic success, which contributes to a relatively higher crime rate.

Otherwise... Yeah. There is virtually nowhere in Sweden I wouldn't go at anytime of the day... except walking through the woods late at night. That creeps me out.

Edited: 16 May 2012, 03:13
4. Re: Unsafe areas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 01:40
Get answers to your questions about Malmo