We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arlanda airport to Motel L Hammersby

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Arlanda airport to Motel L Hammersby

Hi

From Arlanda Airport to Motel L, do I have to pre-book to get on the train/T-bana?

Should I get the travel card online?

10 replies to this topic
Stockholm
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
3,591 posts
648 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arlanda airport to Motel L Hammersby

You cant get the local transport (SL) travel card online. You can buy it at Arlanda in Pressbyrån or 7-11. It does not cover Arlanda though except via bus 583 to Märsta and then commuter train. If you choose to go with the Arlanda express or airport bus you can buy it online (often cheaper).

Mentioned in this post
Arlanda Express
Arlanda Express
7,008 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arlanda airport to Motel L Hammersby

Thanks for your response :)

I checked Google Maps and it suggests to take Pendeltag Tumba Station and then change to Sodra Station. What type of ticket should I get to cover this route? Is Pendeltag classified as commuter train?

Stockholm
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
3,591 posts
648 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arlanda airport to Motel L Hammersby

First you must decide if you want to take the quick but expensive Arlanda express. If yes take that to the city (one stop) and then change to metro south with the green line to Gullmarsplan and change to bus/tram to Mårtensdal where your hotel is. If no, take pendeltåg (equals commuter train in Swedish) to the Central station (any southbound pendeltåg, Tumba is irrelevant). In this case you need to pay the surcharge 120 sek to use the Arlanda station. This can be avoided if you take the bus I mentioned at the top.

To change to Södra Station is also irrelevant, all pendeltågs go there but it is not where your hotel is.

The ticket needed is:

- separate for Arlanda express plus either a travel card bought at Arlanda or a single ticket for local transport (uniform price for the whole system, no zoning)

- travel card or single ticket for all alternatives starting with bus or commuter train (plus surcharge as mentioned).

I'm sorry if this is a lot of information but the alternatives to go from Arlanda are many, I haven't even mentioned all. There is an FAQ you can study (top questions).

Mentioned in this post
Arlanda Express
Arlanda Express
7,008 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
West Midlands
Level Contributor
158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arlanda airport to Motel L Hammersby

So, trying to get my head round this, if our hotel is by the main station, is the best option for us to catch the 583 bus to Märsta and then a train to Central Station? If so how long is this likely to take and how much is it going to cost?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
309 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Arlanda airport to Motel L Hammersby

There are at least 5-6 different options on transportation from Arlanda. Probably the most common question here. Do a search and you will find tons of threads and info. Below is one example. Bus 583 to Märsta and commuter train from there is the cheapest option. 43 kronor and a little more than an hour. No ticket on the bus. Buy in a convenience store. Also included if you buy an SL period card ( 1, 3, 7, 30 days available) at a convenience store at Arlanda.

Arlanda express trains are most convenient (20 min and lots of space) but quite expensive.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18985…

West Midlands
Level Contributor
158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arlanda airport to Motel L Hammersby

Thank you for your response. I presume the whole journey is covered under one zone?

Do you know how often the bus runs?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
309 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Arlanda airport to Motel L Hammersby

Yes there are no different zones anymore for SL tickets. The zoning system was removed some time ago. I would guess about every 20 min for bus 583. Time table available at https://sl.se/en/

Search for bus 583 to Märsta separately. If you search for Arlanda to Stockholm City directly I think a direct route will be suggested that needs an additional steep fee.

Edited: 16 September 2017, 16:56
Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
231 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arlanda airport to Motel L Hammersby

If you plan to travel more with the buses,subway etc in Stockholm and not only want to travel from Arlanda to Central station, I strongly suggest you buy a travelcard. Its reasonably cheap and you can travel on buses, trams, subways and commuter trains. Very easy to travel with the travelcard especially the access card and not paper ticket. (Same thing tho)

It is so great SL has removed the zones. Recently I travelled with my reskassa from Arlanda (cause my monthly card had expired) and then you just have to pay 30 SEK for the entire journey from Arlanda to central Stockholm.

Note, you then first have to buy the access card for 20 SEK (which I already had) then load money on the card, at least 100 SEK / for every load. Then the ticket reader will only charge you once at the bus. When u arrive to Märsta you place your card on the reader again to enter the gates and access the trains to central station and the second ticket reader will know you just payed. You then travel på "övergång" which can translate into avalid time for one ticket. I think one ticket is valid for 75 minutes. So all trips or changes within that time wont cost you a new ticket. Very good. So that way you can change to commuter train or subway at Odenplan with no additional tickets or charges.

But as moomin said earlier. A single ticket without any reskassa is 43 SEK. Note this. This price applies all time, even if you just travel one bus stop or one subway stop. A total ripoff, so thats why I really suggest everyone should buy travel cards if travelling more than once cuz it is so much cheaper then.

Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
West Midlands
Level Contributor
158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arlanda airport to Motel L Hammersby

Thanks to all for your answers. Tomorrow's the day so fingers crossed I've got all the info I need.

Hope the weather will be good. Had enough rain in England so some sunshine would be nice.

Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
Huddinge...
Level Contributor
325 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Arlanda airport to Motel L Hammersby

We have so far this September more rain than usually, It looks like 0,7mm rain tomorrow, 14C and sun 18C under Saturday and Sunday

Reply to: Arlanda airport to Motel L Hammersby
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted