We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

choosing hotel for family stay

new york
Level Contributor
76 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
choosing hotel for family stay

Hi, we are a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 8-year-olds) and will be in Stockholm for 3 nights at the end of June.

We are trying to pick a hotel and are tempted by the kitchenettes, laundry (2 8 year olds, after all!), and cheaper rates of the Stay At hotels. Any advice about which of these are best in terms of:

1)convenient access to public transportation into the city center; and

2) parks walking distance from the hotel itself?

Stay At Solna

Stay At Lindhagen

Stay At Kista

Stay At Bromma

Thank you!

LYBC

stockholm,sweden
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: choosing hotel for family stay

the choice would narrow down to Lindhagen and Bromma.

Bromma is very close to a metrostation, Alvik, so this hotel is the most convenient if you want to be able to go into the city fast. I dont't know about parks in the close neighbourhood, though.

Lindhagen is situated in an semi-industrial enviroment, where a lot of appartment buildings have been raised lately. It's quite close to Stadshagens metrostation, on the blue line, which takes you into the town fast, but has fewer stops ( and deeper underground, long escalators), so it's a bit less convenient, maybe.

Rålambshovsparken is supposely close to Lindhagen, but it's a long walk. If you want to walk to Rålambshovsparken and continue along the water towards the city hall, take the metro to Fridhemsplan first and walk down from there. Rålambshovsparken has a great playground for kids!

new york
Level Contributor
76 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: choosing hotel for family stay

Thanks for your advice. I hope you don't mind a couple of other questions. First, the Stay At in Solna looks like a nicer location than Bromma and Lindhagen. Is that true? If so, we wouldn't mind a longer subway ride into the central city.

I did a bit more checking on these and was a little scared off by the inconsistency among the reviews of these.

Am I missing a better option for a family of 4?

stockholm,sweden
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: choosing hotel for family stay

I wouldn't choose Solna, it's a long walk to both subway stations and into the city, and I don't think the area is all that good to be worth it. I pass Alvik everyday on the way to work, so I can say the location is good. Don't worry about inconcistency of reviews, they are never concistent! Focus more on what you're after and which critique matters.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
63 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: choosing hotel for family stay

Hi LYBC,

I'd choose Solna. It is only minutes from the commuter train that takes around 7-8 minutes to Stockholm Central and there are also buses running from nearby that take you into various places in the city. No need to take the underground unless you want to, and if you do, it's not at all far to walk. (I work very close to the Stay At and know the area).

Best wishes,

Heléne

stockholm,sweden
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: choosing hotel for family stay

Around the world: I've been looking at this map:

http://www.hitta.se/LargeMap.aspx?var=r%e5sundav%e4gen+175

is it accurate? with my 8-year-old it would take forever to walk any of those distances..

new york
Level Contributor
76 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: choosing hotel for family stay

Thanks very much for the advice... We opted for the Stay At Lindhagen.

Glam1, I appreciated your advice about Rålambshovsparken.

Can anyone tell me what the Karlsberg Slottspark is like? It looks close to the hotel.

And any good vegetarian restaurants in the area of Kungsholmen where we'll be staying?

Thank you!

stockholm,sweden
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: choosing hotel for family stay

I actually never past that particular park myself, but I have friends living on Kungsholmen that do that regulary and enjoy it.

On vegetarian restaurants, I do have a favourite place, since I'm vegetarian myself: Govindas at Fridhemsgatan, right on the corner of the subwaystation Fridhemsplan. It's run by the Hare Krishna in a home- cooked indian style. Cheap, under 100 sek for a good meal including soup, bread and lassi.

The best vegetarian place must be Herman's on Fjällgatan that serve a very well-made buffet with a fantastic view over Stockholm!

http://hermans.gastrogate.com/page/8

The site I always go to when I visit other countries and want to know veggie restaurants in advance is

www.happycow.net/europe/sweden/stockholm/

having said that, I must say it's very easy to find vegetarian food here, most of the restaurants have good vegetarian dishes on their menue!

If you want to go out and eat on Kungsholmen, I can recommend Rörstrandsgatan, which is full of restaurants of all kinds and cuisines.

8. Re: choosing hotel for family stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2009, 08:21