We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

February

north west
Level Contributor
110 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
February

Is February a viable month to visit Stockholm? If so, what is there to do? Is it possible to see the northern lights?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: February

Depends what you want to do but a lot of attractions in Stockholm don't open until mid May. Those that are close quite early. If its an option I'd leave a visit until later. Comparing Stockhom in March to May when we were there was like comparing 2 totally different places

Göteborg
Level Contributor
473 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: February

It's winter in February, so the outdoor parks etc are closed. Since there are less tourists than in summer, some museums may have shorter opening hours. Boat tours don't run.

You can still visit the museums, walk through the old town, etc. As all places, it's nicer in the summer, so you have to think about what you want to see, to decide if you think it's worth it.

It's much to far south to see the northern lights.

north west
Level Contributor
110 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: February

Thanks. Any idea if it's possible to get a train out of Stockholm that could take me far enough north to see the lights?

stockholm,sweden
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: February

You can take the night train to Kiruna, the journey takes 15-16 hours.

www.sj.se/sj/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=10&l=en

Utah
Level Contributor
429 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: February

I love Stockholm in the winter. Sure, there will be parts you won't see, or won't be open as long as summertime, but you'll still have a great time.

new york
Level Contributor
104 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: February

I am considering a February Stockholm visit . we've been invited to a 50th bday celebration and really want to go however there have been so many negative posts about the weather and activities that we are perplexed about what to do. I am delighted to see your comments BEZ71, can you give some idea of the things you did?

Skutskar, Sweden
Level Contributor
2,408 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: February

Of course you should come!

But you must get in the right state of mind!

It is probably very cold, last winter we had day after day below -20 C

Thats colder then most freezers!

But with the right clothes and if the sun comes out its wonderful to take a walk along the waterfront and pop in to some cafe or pub for (hot) drinks!

Edited: 29 September 2010, 07:37
Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: February

Of course you should go to Stockholm in February! Yes, it might be cold, but it's also a very beautiful city during the winter months what with the fresh, clean air, the water ... Especially the old town, Gamla Stan, is wonderful in the winter months when the streets are empty of tourists it really feels like you've been transported back in time.

Maybe you'd also enjoy a place like Skansen? It's an outdoor museum, very picturesque and an insight into the Swedish history.

www.skansen.se/en/kategori/upptack-skansen

Stockholm has everything to offer that you can find in any city, plus it's very pretty. Just bring warm clothes. :)

new york
Level Contributor
104 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: February

Lizzie and Anders,

my guidebooks from my last summer scandinavian trip do not offer much in the way of winter activities. can you suggest some side trips that might be exciting? We thought northern lights but i've heard this year will not be too spectacular.

Utah
Level Contributor
429 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: February

I agree with Lizzie, it sure is nice to be around with no crowds, and seeing Stockholm in winter is truly something. I wouldn't miss a birthday party just because it's winter.