We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency

Which Stockholm hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
106 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Currency

We plan to visit Stockholm, Oslo/Bergen and Copenhagen in our short scandinavian visit. Since all 3 countries have different currencies, we were wondering if we should just carry USDs and get them converted locally everytime we land in each country? Are Euros accepted everywhere or is there one currency (say SEK) accepted everywhere?

Any insight will be helpful.

Thanks guys

Stockholm
Level Contributor
715 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency

Hi Chicago traveller!

Euros arn't accepted everywhere in Stockholm so I would only use SEK. Easiest would be to to withdrawl from the ATM-machines (depending on how much each withdrawl cost). I always do this during my travels and have found that it usually gives the best exchange rate.

Utah
Level Contributor
429 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency

Look into funding a capitol one bank money market account, you fund it here and then use your debit card to withdraw cash in local currency from participating banks' ATMs. Last I checked Swedbank was part of the network but Handelsbanken wasn't.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,213 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency

Hi Pelle. Is SEK readily accepted in Denmark? Certainly easier only having to have SEK for Sweden and being able to use in the other Nordic countries

Edited: 09 August 2011, 08:20
Göteborg
Level Contributor
377 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency

I'm not Pelle, but answering anyways! No, SEK isn't accepted everywhere in Denmark. Some places accept it, but gives a horrible exchange rate. I'd never bring SEK to Denmark.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency

You are best off using local currency for each of the three countries, but with ATM machines available everywhere these days, just bring your local bank's ATM card and use it just like you do at home to obtain the cash you need for smaller purchases. There always are machines at the airport arrivals terminal. For larger purchases, the no-fee Capitol One Mastercard has been our credit card of choice for all of our European travels.

Edited: 09 August 2011, 16:22
Stockholm
Level Contributor
715 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency

I totally agree with Cinti attorney above. Use ATM in each country, it will give you the best exchange rate.

Norway will definitely be the most expensive country of the three, followed by Denmark. I would recommend you to spend most days in Stockholm (I am bit biased, but still think we have one of the most beautiful capitols of the world). Copenhagen is way more interesting than Oslo.

Stockholm
Level Contributor
715 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency

I meant capitals.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
98 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Currency

Why bother exchange money at all? You can use your credit card everywhere in Scandinavia. If you have Visa or MasterCard that is.

Nynashamn, Sweden
Level Contributor
190 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Currency

I agree with Sven-Bjorn. Using your card to pay is the simplest, and means you aren't left with a pocket full of change in 3 currencies when you get back home. Cards are accepted pretty much everywhere, even for small amounts.

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
445 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Currency

Credit/debit cards are accepted almost everywhere in Sweden and Norway (even for small amounts) but not in Denmark. They have their own system called Dankort and Visa/MasterCard doesn't work.